Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 5 of 17   [ 338 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sci-fi
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:21 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Pepsuber wrote:
GKC wrote:
I started with A SPACE SHIP FOR THE KING in Analog, 40 years ago, then the DAW paperback, with the Kelly Freas cover, then KING DAVID'S SPACE SHIP (both book tiles I got Pournelle to sign).

I've not looked for A Spaceship for the King figuring there was little or nothing in it that wasn't in King David's Spaceship. But I could be wrong. I'm not really a completist, though, especially where mass-market paperbacks are involved.

I assume you've read "He Fell into a Dark Hole," "Reflex," and "Motelight"? (The latter two were among the material cut from The Mote in God's Eye.)

If not, "Reflex" can be found here:
http://www.webscription.net/chapters/06 ... 741926.htm

"Motelight" can be found in N-Space by Niven or A Step Farther Out by Pournelle.

My ENCYCLOPEDIA OF SF lists KING DAVID'S SPACESHIP as an expanded version of SPACESHIP FOR THE KING, but I can't find the latter around here, to check. Have that problem a lot. But assume if you read KING DAVID, you've got the whole thing.

Also, have memory problems. Am discussing Shelrock Holmes pastiches with a friend, email, and having a lot of truble remembering what I've read. Age, or something.

Since I know (I think) that I've got N-SPACE, maybe I've read "Motelight". Can't find it, either. "Reflex" starts off sounding familiar, but I don't know. I'll read it tonight.

GKC

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:08 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Thanks for the Weber recommendation by the way -- working my way through On Basilisk Station now. Also downloaded The Honor of the Queen. Both were free. :cloud9:

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:40 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Pepsuber wrote:
Thanks for the Weber recommendation by the way -- working my way through On Basilisk Station now. Also downloaded The Honor of the Queen. Both were free. :cloud9:

Glad you like her. She gets better, steadily.

GKC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:31 pm 

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: World Apostolate of Fatima
I like Phillip K. Dick. His stories have been made into movies, such as "Paycheck" and "Imposter." He's very dark, though, but inventive. His stories are often on earth and deal with character, evil hidden in an appearance of good. I think Dick has a good understanding of the fallen nature as it plays out in corporations and government. :|

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:47 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
Doom wrote:
GKC wrote:
I am not so picky. Hence, I suppose I've read more SF than you. Plus, of course, I've been doing it for 50+ years.

GKC

I'm nit picky because that is what I do, I might not know much but I know science....and so it annoys me to see it brazenly violated by stuff that doesn't make sense....if there isn't some kind of logic, plausibility or internal consistency that I find convincing in what I'm reading I can't get into it.

Late to the party here.

The smartest person I know (as in science stuff kinda brain) was of the opinion that Vernor Vinge wrote the most scientifically accurate Science Fiction - FWIW.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:51 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

My late contribution - I am a die hard Harlan Ellison fan. Have been since I was a teen, my son now shares my collection.

"Jefty Is Five" - read that story if you read nothing else of his.

My other faves are Clifford D Simak, PKD, Larry Niven, Octavia Butler (I believe I own everything she ever wrote)...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:24 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

kage_ar wrote:
My late contribution - I am a die hard Harlan Ellison fan. Have been since I was a teen, my son now shares my collection.

My other faves are Clifford D Simak, PKD, Larry Niven, Octavia Butler (I believe I own everything she ever wrote)...

And yet you and I are accounted science fiction fans, one and the same.

Sort of like Anglicans, we SF fans: a motley crew.

I'll go with Simak amd Niven.

GKC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:32 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

kage_ar wrote:
Doom wrote:
GKC wrote:
I am not so picky. Hence, I suppose I've read more SF than you. Plus, of course, I've been doing it for 50+ years.

GKC

I'm nit picky because that is what I do, I might not know much but I know science....and so it annoys me to see it brazenly violated by stuff that doesn't make sense....if there isn't some kind of logic, plausibility or internal consistency that I find convincing in what I'm reading I can't get into it.

Late to the party here.

The smartest person I know (as in science stuff kinda brain) was of the opinion that Vernor Vinge wrote the most scientifically accurate Science Fiction - FWIW.

I am very fond of his A FIRE UPON THE DEEP.

GKC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:59 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

GKC wrote:
kage_ar wrote:

GKC

:cloud9:

And I have been reading this Zombie anthology - I kinda like it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:40 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

kage_ar wrote:
GKC wrote:
kage_ar wrote:

GKC

:cloud9:

And I have been reading this Zombie anthology - I kinda like it.

No zombies for me. I never even bothered to get George Romero's autograph.

GKC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:01 am 

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: World Apostolate of Fatima
[quote="GKC"][quote="kage_ar"][quote="GKC"][quote="kage_ar"]My late contribution - Sort of like Anglicans, we SF fans: a motley crew.

I know someone who wished to marry in the church but was divorced, so became an Anglican because the annulment process in the Roman Catholic Church was too expensive; he said it would have cost $600. HIs wife-to-be said "the heck with it." I wonder how close or far away the Roman Catholic Church is to the Anglican Church. They have the sacrament of the Eucharist, for example. Do we consider that valid?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:27 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

pilgrim7001 wrote:
GKC wrote:
kage_ar wrote:
GKC wrote:
kage_ar wrote:
My late contribution - Sort of like Anglicans, we SF fans: a motley crew.

I know someone who wished to marry in the church but was divorced, so became an Anglican because the annulment process in the Roman Catholic Church was too expensive; he said it would have cost $600. HIs wife-to-be said "the heck with it." I wonder how close or far away the Roman Catholic Church is to the Anglican Church. They have the sacrament of the Eucharist, for example. Do we consider that valid?

No, you don't. See Apostolicae Curae for the stated reasons why.

As to how far away an Anglican might be from a RC, depends on which Anglican you're looking at. A motley crew, them Anglicans

GKC

Anglicanus-Catholicus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:51 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

GKC wrote:
No, you don't.

And even if we did, we still wouldn't receive it.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:26 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

GKC wrote:

GKC

The first two shorts were good, moved to junk after that. Bleh.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:49 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

kage_ar wrote:
GKC wrote:

GKC

The first two shorts were good, moved to junk after that. Bleh.

I skipped Tom Savini, too.

No zombies for me.

No vampires, either.

GKC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:01 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
GKC wrote:

No zombies for me.

No vampires, either.

GKC

I dislike supernatural, magic based characters in general. Once you establish that a character can 'cast magic spells' it then becomes very difficult to place some kind of reasonable limitations on their power. It seems that a character like Zatanna or Doctor Strange can basically do anything. They literally solve every problem just by waving their hands. So the writer is forced to try to come up with some kind of reason why they choose not to use their power until the exact moment were the drama demands it. You get 90% of the way through the story and then suddenly Dr. Strange says 'oh yeah, I forget, I'm omnipotent' and then he casts a spell and the problem is resolved.

Of course, there is a similar problem with the Green Lantern power ring, if the ring, as we are often told 'makes it wearer able to do anything he can think of', then why doesn't one of those Green Lanterns just think of the thought 'I hereby abolish all evil from the universe forever'?
How could any Green Lantern ever be defeated? But recognizing the problem, Geoff Johns has introduced some restrictions of the power of the ring, sure it can 'do anything' but it requires great will power to use it, and even then, using it causes the wearer pain, try to do something too big and it will kill you, and that's assuming the GL has enough will power to make it happen.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:47 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
GKC wrote:

No zombies for me.

No vampires, either.

GKC

I dislike supernatural, magic based characters in general. Once you establish that a character can 'cast magic spells' it then becomes very difficult to place some kind of reasonable limitations on their power. It seems that a character like Zatanna or Doctor Strange can basically do anything. They literally solve every problem just by waving their hands. So the writer is forced to try to come up with some kind of reason why they choose not to use their power until the exact moment were the drama demands it. You get 90% of the way through the story and then suddenly Dr. Strange says 'oh yeah, I forget, I'm omnipotent' and then he casts a spell and the problem is resolved.

Of course, there is a similar problem with the Green Lantern power ring, if the ring, as we are often told 'makes it wearer able to do anything he can think of', then why doesn't one of those Green Lanterns just think of the thought 'I hereby abolish all evil from the universe forever'?
How could any Green Lantern ever be defeated? But recognizing the problem, Geoff Johns has introduced some restrictions of the power of the ring, sure it can 'do anything' but it requires great will power to use it, and even then, using it causes the wearer pain, try to do something too big and it will kill you, and that's assuming the GL has enough will power to make it happen.

Though I was thinking of movies, and novels/short stories, I can live with all that, in comics. I liked the Silver Age Spectre.

Just no zombies and vampires.

GKC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:04 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

The sort of magic character who can do anything is why I dislike David Eddings' (which is fantasy and not sci-fi) so much.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:00 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

GKC wrote:
Doom wrote:
GKC wrote:

No zombies for me.

No vampires, either.

GKC

Though I was thinking of movies, and novels/short stories, I can live with all that, in comics. I liked the Silver Age Spectre.

GKC

Harlan Ellison "The Song The Zombie Sang" - best zombie story :fyi:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:48 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

kage_ar wrote:
GKC wrote:
Doom wrote:
GKC wrote:

No zombies for me.

No vampires, either.

GKC

GKC

Harlan Ellison "The Song The Zombie Sang" - best zombie story :fyi:

But it's a zombie story. Adjective not required.

GKC

Added: Oh, all right. Just for you. I'll go read it. Wait here a minute.

###################(TIME PASSED)##################

OK. I read it.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 5 of 17   [ 338 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next