The Catholic Message Board
http://forums.avemariaradio.net/

Sci-fi
http://forums.avemariaradio.net/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=124634
Page 19 of 19

Author:  GKC [ Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Sci-fi

Peregrinator wrote:
Peregrinator wrote:
Also, I read on Twitter that this month is "Vintage Sci-Fi Month". I'm going to read something that I've wanted to read for some time, but never got around to: Poul Anderson's Tau Zero.

Finished Tau Zero and read Jerry Pournelle's Janissaries. Now on Tran (the sequel, actually an omnibus of two books) in preparation for Mamelukes


You are way ahead of me.

OTOH, I did read a Black Tide Rising anthology and one of Eric Flint's Ring of Fire universe. My wife, a late comer to the RoF, has read 5 (of maybe 26 on hand) in a binge. In SF, she's out reading me.

Author:  GKC [ Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Sci-fi

Peregrinator wrote:
The juvies are good because they're not preachy


Also, they come roughly from the true Golden Age - when I was around 12.

Author:  faithfulservant [ Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Sci-fi

so.... had a date with the car folks today ... needed to take something to read.... only 3 heinlein paperbacks i had access to were the star beast, farmer in the sky and double star (didn't want to take a hard back.... too cumbersome for a waiting area :wink: )

which of those would you have chosen ... i read the backs of all three and didn't remember any of them so it was a crapshoot... the one i chose i managed to get half through waiting on the car

Author:  GKC [ Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Sci-fi

faithfulservant wrote:
so.... had a date with the car folks today ... needed to take something to read.... only 3 heinlein paperbacks i had access to were the star beast, farmer in the sky and double star (didn't want to take a hard back.... too cumbersome for a waiting area :wink: )

which of those would you have chosen ... i read the backs of all three and didn't remember any of them so it was a crapshoot... the one i chose i managed to get half through waiting on the car


STAR BEAST.

Author:  faithfulservant [ Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Sci-fi

the reason i didn't choose that one is there was mention of the humor in the story.... wasn't in much of a humor mood so i picked double star ...perhaps i'll go ahead and go with star beast since i put such a dent in ds today... could have finished it today had i not come home and decided to go comatose after catching up on computer duties

Author:  Peregrinator [ Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:27 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Sci-fi

faithfulservant wrote:
which of those would you have chosen

Probably The Star Beast since it's the one of those I've not read. If I had to choose from among those I've read, Double Star, even though I don't particularly like it - but it's better than Farmer.

Author:  GKC [ Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Sci-fi

Peregrinator wrote:
faithfulservant wrote:
which of those would you have chosen

Probably The Star Beast since it's the one of those I've not read. If I had to choose from among those I've read, Double Star, even though I don't particularly like it - but it's better than Farmer.



If you like Boy Scouts (as was, in the day), FARMER is not bad.

Author:  GKC [ Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:21 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Sci-fi

To return to the Weber/Pourrnelle(s) MAMELUKES.

When last we heard, I was searching for my copies of JANISSARIES and CLAN AND CROWN. Likely you will recall that I had located the latter. Last week, I found the former. It was behind a stack of Bibles and Prayer Books, on the main book shelves in the main library. Huzzah. Then I realized I had misplaced CLAN AND CROWN sometime in the interim. So, no progress. Until 2 days ago, when I found it, on a pile of SF in the back bedroom (location of the second largest stash of SF not in storage). Now all that was needed was getting a copy of STORMS OF VICTORY. Chosen alternative was to order LORD OF THE JANISSARIES. Done. Now to wait for June.

Meanwhile, am reading Weber's/Holo's GORDIAN PROTOCOL (on Sundays, of course). About half through. I am very impressed. For a number of reasons.

Author:  Amon98 [ Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Sci-fi

Give me an Ace Double. A story from Heinlein from the 1940s.

Author:  GKC [ Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Sci-fi

Amon98 wrote:
Give me an Ace Double. A story from Heinlein from the 1940s.


I'm not aware of a Heinlein Ace Double.

Author:  Peregrinator [ Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Sci-fi

GKC wrote:
Chosen alternative was to order LORD OF THE JANISSARIES. Done. Now to wait for June.

:salut:
I guess the other alternative would have been Tran but I think that's out of print now.

Author:  GKC [ Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Sci-fi

Peregrinator wrote:
GKC wrote:
Chosen alternative was to order LORD OF THE JANISSARIES. Done. Now to wait for June.

:salut:
I guess the other alternative would have been Tran but I think that's out of print now.



The logic, initiated by my wife, was to avoid reading the older Ace TPB signed copies, of JANISSIARIES and CLAN AND CROWN, which are a little tender, and she wants to read the series. I originally was going to just get STORMS, but saw her point.

Author:  GKC [ Fri May 08, 2020 9:21 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Sci-fi

Update:

I'm now on p. 122 of JANISSARIES, as found in the Baen omnibus trade pb edition of the 3 titles. This has been on hand for a month or more, but I didn't want to start it until I heard more about the Weber/Pournelle(s) 4th volume. Because of this and that, I got the first chapter or two of MAMALUKES, in hand. Which I won't get into until I am finished with the first 3 volumes (880 pages). But the first page or two look fine.

Page 19 of 19 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/