PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:10 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Roman Catholic
It's a book about a hapless golfer.

The very first sentence of the first chapter:

Quote:
It was a morning when all nature shouted "FORE!"

My first 'non-Bertie & Jeeves' Wodehouse book... just a few pages in and it's very funny.

Post subject: Re: "Heart of a Goof" by PG Wodehouse
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:44 pm 
Master
Master

So the lead character, Ferdinand Dibble, is finally getting into a groove with beating some very poor golfers.
They all have silly nicknames given by the narrator.

One is named "Snake Killer" because his swings looks like he's trying to kill snakes.

All of these golfers who are getting bested by Ferdinand start to conspire against him.

From the book:
Quote:
"He out to be taken down a peg or two," hissed the Snake-Killer. It's not easy to hiss a sentence without a single "s" in it, and the fact that he succeeded in doing so shows to what a pitch of emotion the man had been goaded by Ferdinand's maddening air of superiority.

Hilarious how he puts it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:06 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
Quote:
It has always seemed to me a strange and unaccountable thing that nowadays, when gloom is at such a premium in the world's literature and all around us stern young pessimists are bringing home the bacon with their studies in the greyly grim, no writer has thought of turning his pen to a realistic portrayal of the golfing wife. No subject could be more poignant, and yet it has been completely neglected. One can only suppose that even modern novelists feel that the line should be drawn somewhere.

P.G. Wodehouse, The Heart of a Goof.

'The only cure for sagging or fainting faith is Communion.... Like the act of Faith it must be continuous and grow by exercise. Frequency is of the highest effect. Seven times a week is more nourishing than seven times at intervals.'
J.R.R. Tolkien

Blasé member of PPPA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:04 pm 
Master
Master

:laughhard :laughhard

To have had a chance to meet him in real life.

It's interesting that during their debate via email.. Christopher Hitchens and Doug Wilson found common ground with their love of PG Wodehouse.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:56 pm 
Master
Master

Also from that chapter.

The main character, Bradbury Fisher, has his wife wanting to go golfing with him. This mortifies him (leading to the quote from Norwegianblue). To make matters worse she insists on bringing her Airedale named Alfred.

At one point the dog gets struck in the forepaw and bolts for the water hazard. Bradbury has to go and picked the dog up and carry him back (because of his forepaw injury).

Quote:
Bradbury Fisher utter a low, bleating sound. The water had had the worst effect on the animal. Even when dry, Alfred was always a dog of powerful scent. Wet, he had become definitely one of the six best smellers. His aroma had what the advertisement-writers call "strong memory value".

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:56 pm 
Master
Master

Another funny bit from that same chapter.

Bradbury Fisher (a multi-millionaire) has been sneaking out of his house to play golf without his wife.
He finally breaks 100 and gets to play in a little tournament... and he wins the tournament.

Quote:
Of all the tainted millionaires who, after years of plundering the widow and the orphan, have devoted the evening of their life to the game of golf, few can ever have been so boisterously exhilarated as was Bradbury Fisher, when, two nights later, he returned to his home. His dreams had all come true. He had won his way to the foot of the rainbow. In other words, he was the possessor of a small pewter cup, value three dollars, which he had won by beating a feeble old gentleman with one eye in the final match of the competition for the sixth sixteen at the Squashy Hollow Golf Club Invitation Tournament."