Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: "That Hideous Strength" - Lewis
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:22 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Roman Catholic
I really enjoyed the first two. This was my 2nd reading of the trilogy.

Sometimes I enjoy "That Hideous Strength" other times.... meh.
Some paragraphs just feel to run on and on. You can have 2 paged paragraph where Lewis is just really decorating some concept that you get, but you start to doubt that you're actually getting it because he just keeps adding more and more to it. The phrase 'purple prose' comes to mind.

The parts at Belbury are very interesting. How Wither is described in his trance like state when Mark enters the room is pretty terrifying.
Wither's ponderous and choppy way of talking mimics the confusing and uncertain feeling that Mark has towards Belbury and the NICE.

One thing that struck me was the prophetic take with these technocrats at the NICE (and Mark's editorial spin on the happenings in the college town) and what's happening in the world at the moment.

Still though, the book would be much more enjoyable if it didn't feel so ramble'y.

Post subject: Re: "That Hideous Strength" - Lewis
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:02 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
I thought 'That Hideous Strength' was the best of the trilogy.

'The only cure for sagging or fainting faith is Communion.... Like the act of Faith it must be continuous and grow by exercise. Frequency is of the highest effect. Seven times a week is more nourishing than seven times at intervals.'
J.R.R. Tolkien

Blasé member of PPPA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:47 am 
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
It's such a big change from the first two books, it sort of seems like it's not really part of a "space trilogy." But I like it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:52 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Norwegianblue wrote:
I thought 'That Hideous Strength' was the best of the trilogy.

It is my favorite of Lewis' fiction. With all the others being close behind.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:02 am 
Master
Master

Hmmm..
When brighter minds than mine are enjoying the book quite a bit.... maybe it says more about me.

I do like it. Wither and Frost busying themselves around the Tramp is hilarious. And the Tramp's understanding to not reply (facially) too hot or too cold to any interrogation attempt was just great.

Sometimes in this book I get a feeling of Charles Williams "The Place of the Lion". The voluptuous lady that Jane saw while cleaning out the Lodge and the way Ransom 'explained' her made me think of Platonic forms. But, I have to say... so much of the significance of her presence (and the dwarfs) went way over my head.

You know, typing this out...I think that's what my quibble is. It's related to the sections where my understanding of what's going on is actually poor... and then Lewis starts 'pouring' on more and more descriptions of the scene that is already so confusing to my mind.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:12 am 
Master
Master

The scene where Mark is brought back into the Objective Room and Frost has the Crucifix on the floor revealed, telling Mark he needs to step on the face of Christ in order to fully complete his initiation, immediately brought to mind the scene in Silence. Fr. Rodrigues, in Silence, ultimately does on the face of Christ.

Fans of Silence (and the decision made... or, if not a fan, will vigorously defend the decision) would probably claim that the two decisions aren't the same since more was at stake for Fr. Rodrigues. Well, the ambiguity in decision making was removed for Fr. Rodrigues by apparently hearing the voice of Christ telling him "nah, it's okay... everyone is doing it!".

At any rate... the one reminded me of the other. I'm more joyful with the former than with the latter.