Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: “Perelandra” - CS Lewis
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:21 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Roman Catholic
This I my second reading of this book (first time in 2004).
It’s incredible the 2nd time around.

The verbal standoff with Weston, the Green Lady, and Ransom is simply amazing.

You wonder how the human wits of Ransom can even dare to test the possessed mind of Weston.
But then Ransom lays out the following:

Quote:
I think He made one law of that kind in order that there might be obedience. In all these other matters what you call obeying Him is but doing what seems good in your own eyes also. Is love content with that? You do them, indeed, because they are His will, but not only because they are His will. Where can you taste the joy of obeying unless He bids you do something for which His bidding is the only reason? When we spoke last you said that if you told the beasts to walk on their heads, they would delight to do so. So I know that you understand well what I am saying.

Post subject: Re: “Perelandra” - CS Lewis
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:39 pm 
Master
Master

Ha!

Right when it seemed that Weston-Devil had Ransom beat. Getting Ransom to admit that disobeying God lead to Christ coming to our world and becoming man saying:

Quote:
There is more. He has not told you that it was this breaking of the commandment which brought Maleldil to our world and because of which He was made man. He dare not deny it."

Ransom finally responded back with:

Quote:
"I will tell you what I say," answered Ransom, jumping to his feet. "Of course good came of it. Is Maleldil a beast that we can stop His path, or a leaf that we can twist His shape? Whatever you do, He will make good of it. But not the good He had prepared for you if you had obeyed Him. That is lost for ever. The first King and first Mother of our world did the forbidden thing; and He brought good of it in the end. But what they did was not good; and what they lost we have not seen. And there were some to whom no good came nor ever will come." He turned to the body of Weston. "You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:56 am 
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
Yes, it's some great stuff. But don't miss the writing for the ideas. The fight between the two is maybe Lewis's best writing. Also, I think it's meaningful that Ransom eventually realizes that he has to actually fight the un-man. However you want to read that--allegory, spiritual metaphor, whatever--I think there are lessons for our day.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:43 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

gherkin wrote:
Yes, it's some great stuff. But don't miss the writing for the ideas. The fight between the two is maybe Lewis's best writing. Also, I think it's meaningful that Ransom eventually realizes that he has to actually fight the un-man. However you want to read that--allegory, spiritual metaphor, whatever--I think there are lessons for our day.

I agree.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:42 pm 
Master
Master

I'm reading Cardinal Sarah's "The Power of Silence" along with this book. An interesting little passage struck me from Perelandra that echoed themes from Cardinal Sarah's book:

Quote:
Inner silence is for our race a difficult achievement. There is a chattering part of the mind which continues, until it is corrected, to chatter on even in the holiest places.

And, for Ransom, it was in his being quiet where he was getting these strong promptings from Maleldil that "This can't go on". Which, ties in to what both of you said: the talking and talking must eventually end. And Ransom will have to do something different than just trying to best Satan in a battle of words.

It reminded me of a line from Lewis's "Till We Have Faces":

Quote:
only words, words; to be led out to battle against other words

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:40 pm 
Master
Master

What an absolutely haunting thought that Ransom entertains:

Quote:
Up to this point the Lady had repelled her assailant. She was shaken and weary, and there were some stains perhaps in her imagination, but she had stood. In that respect the story already differed from anything that he certainly knew about the mother of our own race. He did not know whether Eve had resisted at all, or if so, for how long. Still less did he know how the story would have ended if she had. If the "serpent" had been foiled, and returned the next day, and the next . . . what then? Would the trial have lasted for ever?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:40 pm 
Master
Master

I wonder if Tolkien (whom Ransom has some similarities with) ever took exception with how Ransom, towards the end of Perelandra, was so awe struck with Perelandra's unfallen Eve. In the last chapter he's almost begging to not be taken away and allowed to stay on Perelandra (after he sees the King and Queen).
But, Tolkien would have a perfect Eve in Mary.