Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Question on The Brothers Grimm
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:45 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Roman Catholic
I'm looking to buy this to read to my son.
I had heard once from a good friend (good, but hard to get in contact with) that if I ever get The Brothers Grimm to get an older version because, according to him, more current ones dumb down the stories quite a bit.

If this is the case would any of you be able to suggest an edition? I see a lot out there when I look for one to buy.

Also, is there an illustrated version that's better than other illustrated versions?

Post subject: Re: Question on The Brothers Grimm
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:59 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Weird - a topic I actually know a little about!

We have the illustrated Dover version of Household Stories by the Grimms. It's sound but it only contains about 1/4 of the fairy tales of he 7th edition published in 1857. But the stories are not dumbed down or bowlderized. Originally published in the 1960s but still printed today.

Now, if you're interested in fairy tales in general, I can also suggest the "Fairy Books" edited by Andrew Lang -- particularly The Red Fairy Book, The Blue Fairy Book, and The Green Fairy Book. Also very good is The Wonder Clock written by E. Howard Pyle and illustrated by his wife. These are also published by Dover.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:22 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Peregrinator wrote:
Weird - a topic I actually know a little about!

We have the illustrated Dover version of Household Stories by the Grimms. It's sound but it only contains about 1/4 of the fairy tales of he 7th edition published in 1857. But the stories are not dumbed down or bowlderized. Originally published in the 1960s but still printed today.

Now, if you're interested in fairy tales in general, I can also suggest the "Fairy Books" edited by Andrew Lang -- particularly The Red Fairy Book, The Blue Fairy Book, and The Green Fairy Book. Also very good is The Wonder Clock written by E. Howard Pyle and illustrated by his wife. These are also published by Dover.

Dover was to be my suggestion. I have most of the Lang Color books, and also the Wonder Clock. Illustrated by his sister.

His PEPPER AND SALT also used to be available from Dover, I think.

Dover runs regular sales.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:52 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Roman Catholic
Thanks for the suggestions.
Dover it is!