Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: David Copperfied - Dickens
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:29 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Roman Catholic
This is my third Dickens novel (Oliver Twist and Great Expectations) and so far my favorite.
I really liked the others but this one is just beautifully written.

Amazed that my schooling never introduced me to his books. The tripe we read instead.

Not very far into the book but it's a long one.

Post subject: Re: David Copperfied - Dickens
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:40 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Have you read 'A Christmas Carole'? If not, put that book down and read 'A Christmas Carole' instead, it is Dicken's greatest work and one of the greatest books ever written, and now is the time to read it, during the Christmas season.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:45 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
* Carol

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:50 pm 
King of Cool

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
* Carol

Yes, that was an auto incorrect. I just finished my annual reading today. At this point, I practically have the entire book memorized. I have read it so many times and know it so well that when I watch one of the umpteen movie adaptations, I immediately recognize the slightest difference. Surprisingly, most adaptations are smart enough to keep the original dialogue, often quoting entire portions verbatim.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:41 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Doom wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
* Carol

Yes, that was an auto incorrect. I just finished my annual reading today. At this point, I practically have the entire book memorized. I have read it so many times and know it so well that when I watch one of the umpteen movie adaptations, I immediately recognize the slightest difference. Surprisingly, most adaptations are smart enough to keep the original dialogue, often quoting entire portions verbatim.

If only The Lord of the Rings had been treated with similar respect!

I can't think of a single adaptation of A Christmas Carol where Scrooge invites Cratchit for a "Christmas bowl of smoking bishop," though. I think the George C. Scott version comes the closest.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:21 am 
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
I like A Christmas Carol, but I disagree that this is the time to read it. The time to read it would be the 24th. It's not long. Or if you're sure it'll take two nights to read it, start the 23rd. Depending on how fast you read, that will likely leave time to read David Copperfield first.

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:33 pm 
King of Cool

Peregrinator wrote:

I can't think of a single adaptation of A Christmas Carol where Scrooge invites Cratchit for a "Christmas bowl of smoking bishop," though. I think the George C. Scott version comes the closest.

Obviously, they can't include every line or else it would require at least 6-8 hours to tell the story, and as much as I love this story, even I don't want to see it given the 'Hobbit' treatment.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:33 pm 
King of Cool

gherkin wrote:
I like A Christmas Carol, but I disagree that this is the time to read it. The time to read it would be the 24th. It's not long. Or if you're sure it'll take two nights to read it, start the 23rd. Depending on how fast you read, that will likely leave time to read David Copperfield first.

But who says it can only be read once? Read it every day between now and Christmas!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:33 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Doom wrote:
Have you read 'A Christmas Carole'? If not, put that book down and read 'A Christmas Carole' instead, it is Dicken's greatest work and one of the greatest books ever written, and now is the time to read it, during the Christmas season.

Thanks for the suggestion, Doom.

I was never really interested in reading this because I had seen so many movies that had done it and didn't think I would get much more from reading it; how wrong I was. (Mind you, I've just started reading Dickens about 2 years ago).
Nothing in any movie I saw compares to actually reading it... now that I'm reading it and over a half way through.

There is one upsetting thing though.... I liked Bill Murray's Scrooged as a comedy. But in reading the book I have a hard time thinking of that movie as little more than the vulgarist of copies and so badly missing the mark as to making the film pointless.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:38 pm 
King of Cool

You actually took my advice? Wow, I'm honored. A Christmas Carol is a truly great book, every time I read it I have to resist the temptation to go back to the beginning and read it again.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:30 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
gherkin wrote:

I read it to my kids over Christmas - just finished it last night. Typically we read "A Child's Christmas in Wales" on Christmas Eve.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:50 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

David Copperfield (unabridged) is loooooooong.

Things must have been different in the 19th century, because women keep swooning into a full on faint.