Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Finally! A biography of Napoleon III!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:17 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Wow, what a great time to be alive! For years, I've been trying to find a good, critical, scholarly biography of Louis Napoleon, whom I think of as 'the successful Napoleon'! There has never before been a full biography in English, and now there is, and it is by Alan Schom, one of the leading experts on Napoleon I (whose biography I have read.)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0776 ... KCE6CJ9A2Y

Why am I so interested in Napoleon III? Well, he played a huge role in the dissolution of the Papal States. After Pius IX was driven out of Italy by the revolution of 1848, Napoleon III sent French troops into Rome to re-install Pius, and those troops were the only thing keeping Italy from fully unifying under Garibaldi But with the outbreak of the Franco-Prussian war in 1870, Napoleon was forced to remove his troops from Rome to defend France, meaning that Garibaldi was now free to invade Rome and declare it the capital of a unified Italy.

I've always wondered what Louis Napoleon's motives were for propping up the Pope in Rome. I kind of assumed that he was trying to consciously avoid his uncle's mistake of earning the enmity of the Pope and European Catholics, but who's to say?

But I definitely think of Louis Napoleon as much more successful than his uncle. Napoleon Bonaparte had a short if glorious, reign of about 5 years before he antagonized all the other powers in Europe and ignited a massive war, that eventually led to his downfall. Louis Napoleon never did that, he never repeated any of his uncle's mistakes, he ruled France for 22 years (1848-1870) and his reign fell not because he ignited a war but because war came to him, a war he was unprepared to fight. Louis Napoleon's reign was longer than his uncle's.

Well, now I can learn the full story!

Post subject: Re: Finally! A biography of Napoleon III!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:06 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
Wow, what a great time to be alive! For years, I've been trying to find a good, critical, scholarly biography of Louis Napoleon, whom I think of as 'the successful Napoleon'! There has never before been a full biography in English, and now there is, and it is by Alan Schom, one of the leading experts on Napoleon I (whose biography I have read.)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0776 ... KCE6CJ9A2Y

Why am I so interested in Napoleon III? Well, he played a huge role in the dissolution of the Papal States. After Pius IX was driven out of Italy by the revolution of 1848, Napoleon III sent French troops into Rome to re-install Pius, and those troops were the only thing keeping Italy from fully unifying under Garibaldi But with the outbreak of the Franco-Prussian war in 1870, Napoleon was forced to remove his troops from Rome to defend France, meaning that Garibaldi was now free to invade Rome and declare it the capital of a unified Italy.

I've always wondered what Louis Napoleon's motives were for propping up the Pope in Rome. I kind of assumed that he was trying to consciously avoid his uncle's mistake of earning the enmity of the Pope and European Catholics, but who's to say?

But I definitely think of Louis Napoleon as much more successful than his uncle. Napoleon Bonaparte had a short if glorious, reign of about 5 years before he antagonized all the other powers in Europe and ignited a massive war, that eventually led to his downfall. Louis Napoleon never did that, he never repeated any of his uncle's mistakes, he ruled France for 22 years (1848-1870) and his reign fell not because he ignited a war but because war came to him, a war he was unprepared to fight. Louis Napoleon's reign was longer than his uncle's.

Well, now I can learn the full story!

I am sincerely happy for you.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:23 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
My wishlist also contains a wish for a full English language biography of the following people:

Konrad Adenauer (I have found several in German, but I'm not going to learn German to read one of them)
Otto Von Bismarck
Cardinal Mazarin
Cardinal Francis Spellman (okay, he has had one, but I have heard it is not very good and tends towards anti-Catholicism, and it is out of print)
Robert Taft (or at least something more recent than 'Mr. Republican' which is out of date)
J Edgar Hoover

I did find a couple really good biographies of Charles DeGaulle recently, who is another one that used to be on this wishlist.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:43 pm 
There Can Be Only One

Religion: Catholic
I'm personally waiting for the fourth volume in the series before I begin reading the set.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!