Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:51 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
An excellent read.

The subtitle tells it all “A memoir of a family and culture in crisis.” What struck me about this book is the resilience of a young boy who, as an adult, realized that he had a lot of help along the way. Given that Vance started writing the book in 2010, the book is not trying to explain anything about the recent election; although it is difficult not to want to draw some conclusions.

Some of the reviews (Source, HERE):

“[A] compassionate, discerning sociological analysis…Combining thoughtful inquiry with firsthand experience, Mr. Vance has inadvertently provided a civilized reference guide for an uncivilized election, and he’s done so in a vocabulary intelligible to both Democrats and Republicans. Imagine that.” (Jennifer Senior, New York Times)

“[Hillbilly Elegy] is a beautiful memoir but it is equally a work of cultural criticism about white working-class America….[Vance] offers a compelling explanation for why it’s so hard for someone who grew up the way he did to make it…a riveting book.” (Wall Street Journal)

“[Hillbilly Elegy] couldn’t have been better timed...a harrowing portrait of much that has gone wrong in America over the past two generations...an honest look at the dysfunction that afflicts too many working-class Americans.” (National Review)

“J.D. Vance’s memoir, “Hillbilly Elegy”, offers a starkly honest look at what that shattering of faith feels like for a family who lived through it...” (The Economist)

“The troubles of the working poor are well known to policymakers, but Vance offers an insider’s view of the problem.” (Christianity Today)

“Vance movingly recounts the travails of his family.” (Washington Post)

- I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

- I remember a lot of things. (Some of which actually happened.)

- Even the best of men may be born in times unsuited to their virtues.

Post subject: Re: Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:23 am 
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
I honestly didn't care much for it. :| I never did quite get the idea that the book helped us understand the election. It didn't help me understand the election. But then although I grew up in a middle class family with "educated" parents, I spent about six years in extremely close contact with several hillbilly friends (both staying with the hillbilly parents of a pal of mine for several months, and then sharing a house with some hillbilly pals for a couple of years, and so forth); I served for six years as an enlisted man in the Guards, where my pals were often hillbillies; I worked in sweatshops and other such places for some years where my co-workers were mostly hillbillies; and so on, so nothing much that Vance had to say about hillbillies was new or revealing to me.

What are the conclusions you draw from the book about the election?

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:52 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

That, given the environment described below (an extract from Chapter 9), some Trump supporters might see in him a kindred spirit.

“This was my world: a world of truly irrational behavior. We spend our way into the poorhouse… Thrift is inimical to our being. We spend to pretend that we’re upper-class…

“Our homes are a chaotic mess. We scream and yell at each other like we’re spectators at a football game… We apologize… But then we act just as mean a few days later.

“We don’t study as children, and we don’t make our kids study when we’re parents…

“We choose not to work when we should be looking for jobs… We talk about the value of hard work but tell ourselves that the reason we’re not working is some perceived unfairness: Obama shut down the coal mines, or all the jobs went to the Chinese.

“We talk to our children about responsibility, but we never walk the walk…”

- I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:54 am 

I'm sure there's some truth to that, just as many rich and sleazy lawyer-types would see a villain like Clinton as a kindred spirit. But be careful--that last post comes dangerously close to saying "the book confirmed me in my prejudices against Trump voters--they voted for him because they're classless buffoons like him." (I know you said "some.") I don't think that helps you understand the election. Just helps you feel superior.

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:50 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

gherkin wrote:
... be careful--that last post comes dangerously close to saying "the book confirmed me in my prejudices against Trump voters--they voted for him because they're classless buffoons like him." (I know you said "some.") I don't think that helps you understand the election. Just helps you feel superior.

Noted.

Believe it or not, IRL I have on occasion found myself commenting positively on the president. Not his personal moral failings, but - every now and then - the things he says or tweets about certain happenings on the domestic or foreign scene. The conversation usually starts, "I know what he said sounds (insert pejorative here), but lets look at the actual issue and see what good might come out of his bringing this up." I don't recall ever fully supporting any of his positions, but when things start veering too far to the left I try to insert the idea that his POV might have some - however slight - validity.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:39 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
Are you a hillgherkin, gherkin?

'The only cure for sagging or fainting faith is Communion.... Like the act of Faith it must be continuous and grow by exercise. Frequency is of the highest effect. Seven times a week is more nourishing than seven times at intervals.'
J.R.R. Tolkien

Blasé member of PPPA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:23 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Or, rather, a hillpickle?

'The only cure for sagging or fainting faith is Communion.... Like the act of Faith it must be continuous and grow by exercise. Frequency is of the highest effect. Seven times a week is more nourishing than seven times at intervals.'
J.R.R. Tolkien

Blasé member of PPPA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:56 pm 

I'm a cucumber. :fyi:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:18 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Norwegianblue wrote:

A dillbilly

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:46 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Church Affiliations: KoC, Legion of Mary
Peregrinator wrote:
Norwegianblue wrote:

A dillbilly

Not really related, but that makes me think of an area nearby myself, Dillsburg PA.
Anyone who's ever been in South-Central PA will understand. :laughhard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:01 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
gherkin wrote:
I'm a cucumber. :fyi:

http://bigidea.wikia.com/wiki/Larry_Bei ... r_a_Pickle

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:39 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Peregrinator wrote:
Norwegianblue wrote:

A dillbilly

::):

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:38 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Here's my take on it.

RETURN TO MY OLD KENTUCKY HOME

Years before Sam Walton launched his discount chain, there was always the icehouse on Telephone Road for a peek at the kind of people described in JD Vance’s memoir of his life in Appalachian Kentucky. I was reminded of something my grandmother always said: “There’s no shame in being poor, but you don’t have to ACT poor.”

Hillbilly Elegy is a combination of Angela’s Ashes and Tobacco Road. Chapter after chapter portray the kind of people that can only be charitably referred to as dysfunctional. This is not a sociological study; this is a memoir of a man who escaped through sheer dint of effort and study. He joined the Marines thinking the toughest branch would shape him up. It worked. The worst insults a DI could hurl bounced right off him. His own mother said worse when she was sober. From there he went on to Ohio State University then Yale, of all places, to earn a law degree.

Vance does not spare his family. In spite of the unflattering picture, he admits that he owed his success to a dedicated grandmother who always made sure he was welcome. He lived with her throughout his high school years. She took a dim view of his plan to join the Marines because they have a reputation for giving orders, something hillbillies don’t take kindly to.

It’s an inspiring read, but brace yourself for an unrelenting, depressing view of an underclass that revels in its hillbillyness.

https://whitelungdisease.blogspot.com/p/books.html

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:26 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: As I understand it.....in God's will. This is the best place to be.
Religion: Orthodox
Church Affiliations: Past Grand Knight KoC 15107
Givi46 wrote:
Peregrinator wrote:
Norwegianblue wrote:

A dillbilly

Not really related, but that makes me think of an area nearby myself, Dillsburg PA.
Anyone who's ever been in South-Central PA will understand. :laughhard

If I remember correctly, having lived in Harrisburg for 34 years, Dillsburg is where they drop the Giant Dill Pickle to welcome in the New Year!

Sounds like Gherkin's kind of place.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:34 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: As I understand it.....in God's will. This is the best place to be.
Religion: Orthodox
Church Affiliations: Past Grand Knight KoC 15107
Riverboat wrote:
Here's my take on it.

RETURN TO MY OLD KENTUCKY HOME

Years before Sam Walton launched his discount chain, there was always the icehouse on Telephone Road for a peek at the kind of people described in JD Vance’s memoir of his life in Appalachian Kentucky. I was reminded of something my grandmother always said: “There’s no shame in being poor, but you don’t have to ACT poor.”

Hillbilly Elegy is a combination of Angela’s Ashes and Tobacco Road. Chapter after chapter portray the kind of people that can only be charitably referred to as dysfunctional. This is not a sociological study; this is a memoir of a man who escaped through sheer dint of effort and study. He joined the Marines thinking the toughest branch would shape him up. It worked. The worst insults a DI could hurl bounced right off him. His own mother said worse when she was sober. From there he went on to Ohio State University then Yale, of all places, to earn a law degree.

Vance does not spare his family. In spite of the unflattering picture, he admits that he owed his success to a dedicated grandmother who always made sure he was welcome. He lived with her throughout his high school years. She took a dim view of his plan to join the Marines because they have a reputation for giving orders, something hillbillies don’t take kindly to.

It’s an inspiring read, but brace yourself for an unrelenting, depressing view of an underclass that revels in its hillbillyness.

https://whitelungdisease.blogspot.com/p/books.html

I just hope it isn't as banal as Angela's Ashes. I'm among the small percentage of reviews on Amazon who think that the people at the Pulitzer Prize lost their minds when they gave it to McCourt for this piece of trash.

You want the Cliff Notes on the book?

"O Jaaaaayzuz, Daddy's drunk again."

What a mess!!! I found nothing interesting or compelling in the story line, other than wondering when Daddy would show up drunk again.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:00 am 
Citizen
Citizen

I assure you Hillbilly Elegy is not banal. You may find yourself scratching your head from time to time wondering what drives people to act like, well, hillbillies.

And your summation of Angela's Ashes is spot-on. Unlike my wife, I finished reading it only because I was morbidly fascinated. I had to find out how much lower that sot would sink. I got my answer when I found him carrying the coffin with his stillborn child into a pub and setting his pint on the coffin.