Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Inside the Atheist Mind... opinions?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:45 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Endow facilitator
Anthony DeStefano is the author.

I have a brother who is a fallen-away Catholic, and is now a rather confrontational, anti-Christian atheist. He has been sarcastic and arrogant at times on the subject of faith, although if I point out when he's being rude, unreasonable, or illogical, he usually backs off a bit (at least until the next time). I'm trying not to answer disrespect or sarcasm with more of the same, but I want to defend and correct his accusations, as well (especially when there are other mutual friends involved in the discussion that may not know the truth). And on any other subject or issue, he's generally very reasonable and open-minded.

I'd like to give him a couple of books, since he's a reader, but he doesn't want any "convert stories," which is currently all I have on my shelf that relates to atheism. So I was looking at this book, "Inside the Atheist Mind." The reviews and description of this particular book make it sound more confrontational than I think I want, and perhaps even uncharitable. :? But I also know that sometimes, stuff like that's just hype used to get people to pick it up and read it.

Maybe it's spiteful and negative, or maybe it's just that the book is honest, and the truth hurts. I don't know.

So I figured I'd ask, and see if anyone has comments, and/or has another recommendation for me to send to him?

Thanks in advance. :-)

"Never read books you aren't sure about . . . even supposing that these bad books are very well written from a literary point of view. Let me ask you this: Would you drink something you knew was poisoned just because it was offered to you in a golden cup?" --St. John Bosco

Post subject: Re: Inside the Atheist Mind... opinions?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:49 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
The book won't be released for a month.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:57 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Aww, shoot, you're right. Thanks for pointing that out. That's going to make it awfully hard to send this month! That's what I get for skimming emails. :oops:

Well, if anybody has recommendations for a different book, then, I'd love to hear them. :-)

"Never read books you aren't sure about . . . even supposing that these bad books are very well written from a literary point of view. Let me ask you this: Would you drink something you knew was poisoned just because it was offered to you in a golden cup?" --St. John Bosco

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:52 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
To be able to recommend a book for someone I would need to know a lot about him, what is his reading level, how much knowledge does he have of philosophy, theology, Biblical studies, what other books has he read, what are his interests etc etc etc And that is assuming that he actually reads it, which from what you're saying, I'm guessing that he probably won't.

I can't recommend a generic book for a generic person. You are probably in a better position than I am to know what to recommend him.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:19 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Okay, thanks for the comments. I think I will just make a special trip to the Catholic bookstore and see what I can find. Their recommendations are usually pretty good.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:12 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
As far as content goes, the best refutation of atheism I know of is Ed Feser's The Last Superstition. The problem is with the style--Feser deliberately wrote in the same sarcastic abrasive tone that many loud atheists use. You might want to read some to decide if it's the book you want.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:29 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
As far as content goes, the best refutation of atheism I know of is Ed Feser's The Last Superstition. The problem is with the style--Feser deliberately wrote in the same sarcastic abrasive tone that many loud atheists use. You might want to read some to decide if it's the book you want.

The bigger problem is that just giving someone a book to read is unlikely to do anything to persuade anyone. I have had fundamentalists recommend various books to me in the belief that if I read them, I would be converted to their point of view. It won't work because these books contain nothing I haven't heard 1,000 times before, and never address and any issues that I care about.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:52 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian
Doom wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

The bigger problem is that just giving someone a book to read is unlikely to do anything to persuade anyone. I have had fundamentalists recommend various books to me in the belief that if I read them, I would be converted to their point of view. It won't work because these books contain nothing I haven't heard 1,000 times before, and never address and any issues that I care about.

True, that.

But our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, our Lord Jesus Christ, Philippians 3:20

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:56 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian
Catholic Rose wrote:
Anthony DeStefano is the author.

I have a brother who is a fallen-away Catholic, and is now a rather confrontational, anti-Christian atheist. He has been sarcastic and arrogant at times on the subject of faith, although if I point out when he's being rude, unreasonable, or illogical, he usually backs off a bit (at least until the next time). I'm trying not to answer disrespect or sarcasm with more of the same, but I want to defend and correct his accusations, as well (especially when there are other mutual friends involved in the discussion that may not know the truth). And on any other subject or issue, he's generally very reasonable and open-minded.

I'd like to give him a couple of books, since he's a reader, but he doesn't want any "convert stories," which is currently all I have on my shelf that relates to atheism. So I was looking at this book, "Inside the Atheist Mind." The reviews and description of this particular book make it sound more confrontational than I think I want, and perhaps even uncharitable. :? But I also know that sometimes, stuff like that's just hype used to get people to pick it up and read it.

Maybe it's spiteful and negative, or maybe it's just that the book is honest, and the truth hurts. I don't know.

So I figured I'd ask, and see if anyone has comments, and/or has another recommendation for me to send to him?

Thanks in advance. :-)

Emotional bonds are stronger than any logic. When emotion rules... confusion is conceived, born and raised.
If it wasn't learned through logic... It won't be unlearned through logic.
Your brother's emotional response is a tell.

The only thing, and I repeat, the ONLY thing that works is prayer.
Satan blinds minds. It is spiritual problem with a spiritual solution.
Books/ logic work only when the spiritual cloud of confusion is eliminated.
Confusion is eliminated through intercession which is a specific form of prayer designed to destroy satan's tactics. It requires patience, focus and long suffering. The enemy of our souls doesn't like to give up territory... but It works if you work it.

But our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, our Lord Jesus Christ, Philippians 3:20

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:13 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Thanks, Father, I'll look for that one. Even if it would be more for me to read for reference, that would be helpful. I just don't have a lot of knowledge or resources to debate atheism; when I get into apologetics, I'm usually discussing Catholicism with non-Catholic Christians.

Yep, Etcum, I have been and will continue to pray for him.
He challenges me with various topics, and despite his emotional responses as I mentioned above, he insists that it's intellectual reasons that keep him from believing in God and returning to the Church... so along with praying for him and discussing various doubts and questions, I also like to offer references he can read (and about half the time, he does).

I'm definitely not looking for a book that will replace discussion between him and me; rather, one that invites it and challenges his assumptions that atheism makes more sense and takes no faith.

I asked here because I find that many of the good Catholics apologetics books I have read in the past do contain stuff that my non-Catholic friends haven't heard before, because they usually have only heard about "what Catholics believe" from non-Catholics. So it's helpful to have those resources. It's just that everything on my bookshelf currently begins with the assumption that the reader does at least believe in God.

And of course, prayers for him would be appreciated. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:19 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

i always sign people im concerned about up for a year of masses, rosaries, divine mercy chaplets with the marians of the immaculate conception.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:26 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
kpl2014 wrote:
i always sign people im concerned about up for a year of masses, rosaries, divine mercy chaplets with the marians of the immaculate conception.

Great idea!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:13 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
My son introduced me to the Red Pill Religion website/Youtube podcast.

It is not Catholic specific, however, Catholic convert John C Wright is a frequent contributor as is a man who goes by Max Kolbe are Catholics.

I just listened to this one on Monday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZaHeXzVpxs&t=1734s

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:14 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
For a book, I'd suggest Trent Horn's "Why We're Catholic" It is $4 as an ebook right now https://www.amazon.com/Why-Were-Catholi ... e+catholic