Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Odyssey
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:08 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Roman Catholic
On book 8 and I like it quite a bit.
The one thing that I'm noticing more in this book than in The Aeneid is that in Odyssey the gods seem a lot more capricious and temperamental.

One line in the book struck me though. In book 6 Nausicaa says to Odysseus "Zeus himself, the Olympian God, sends happiness to good men and bad men both".
Sounds similar to Matthew 5:45 where it says God has the sun rise on the evil and the good and rain on the just and unjust.

Could it be that the translation of Odyssey changed in light of Biblical scripture?

Also, anyone know how sacrificing animals came to be the way to show reverence to the gods of antiquity? It just seems so random. Unless it's supposed to be something like humans are taking food away from themselves to offer to this God.

Post subject: Re: Odyssey
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:43 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
p.falk wrote:
Also, anyone know how sacrificing animals came to be the way to show reverence to the gods of antiquity? It just seems so random. Unless it's supposed to be something like humans are taking food away from themselves to offer to this God.

Random? Both Christianity and Judaism are centered around the idea of 'sacrifice' but you think the idea of sacrifice is 'random'? :scratch:

God commands sacrifice in the Old Testament, Christ was crucified as a sacrifice, and the Eucharist is a sacrifice. The idea of sacrifice is central to Christianity is central to many, if not most, religions.

As for why? I think the standard Christian and Jewish explanation is that people have an innate knowledge of God and his demands, and they have an innate sense of their own sin and unworthiness to approach God and an innate sense that God desires some kind of sacrifice to appease him, but all sacrifices reach their summit and perfection in Christ, and that God implanted the idea of 'sacrifice' in the human conscience as a way of preparing them for the gospel.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:50 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Yeah... I thought the idea of killing an animal for the gods is random.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:10 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
loved the two part compilation...though i have never read the "grown up" version... i read the watered down version in 4th grade... that got me reading all sorts of mythology...sending me to the town library after the school library had been conquered

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:30 pm 
King of Cool

p.falk wrote:
Yeah... I thought the idea of killing an animal for the gods is random.

God does not command random things. Have you read the epistle to the Hebrews recently, it does a beautiful job of explaining this.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:31 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

My question was why sacrifice an animal at all.
What does it benefit God or gods to have an animal killed for them.

It's a serious question and not motivated by some notion of animal rights.

It seems random to me (regardless of who commanded it and how commonly it was commanded) as to why the killing of an animal is in some way to honor or appease a divine being. It's already their own animal.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:13 am 
King of Cool

p.falk wrote:
My question was why sacrifice an animal at all.
What does it benefit God or gods to have an animal killed for them.

It's a serious question and not motivated by some notion of animal rights.

It seems random to me (regardless of who commanded it and how commonly it was commanded) as to why the killing of an animal is in some way to honor or appease a divine being. It's already their own animal.

That's why I suggested reading the epistle to the Hebrews in the light of this question, I think it does a beautiful job of explaining this, in particular the rather bold statement 'without the shedding of blood, there is no forgiveness of sins.' That, I think is a really meaningful statement.

The concept of sacrifice is essential to almost all religions. And not all sacrifices were made in the form of animals. Sometimes, vegetables or grain was offered, and another common form of sacrifice was the libation, where part or all of a bottle of wine was poured out on the ground in honor a God. Whatever was offered, and in Aztec religion it was often a human life, the point is that the thing which is offered has to be something of value, something that it hurts to lose. The Greeks, in particular, valued wine, so pouring part or all of a bottle of wine in honor of a God no doubt led to a feeling of loss.

As I said, I think the traditional Christian explanation is that human beings have a natural sense that we are unworthy to approach God, and therefore, if we wish to appease God, we have to abase ourselves in some way and offer him something of value to appease his anger. Christians don't reject this idea, we just believe that Christ was the ultimate sacrifice, making all other sacrifices pale by comparison and eliminating the need for any further sacrifice, except to re-offer Christ again in the Eucharist.

The Eucharist is a sacrifice, as two things of great value, namely bread and wine, both of which are still to this day staples of the human diet everywhere in the world, and both of which are the product of human labor, are offered to God, and are turned into the body and blood of Christ, sometimes at great cost if the bread or wine offered is rather valuable.