Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Didache
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:26 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
Hey folks, i could use some help. I understand the Didache is currently available as rsv2ce and soon as a nabre. I tried to look up what the differences were and found very little to go on. Does anyone here have any ideas on the difference. I currently have the ICSBNT that is the rsv2ce. Would the nabre edition be a better fit because it may have a different set of notes and or commentary ?

Really not sure. I'm well satisfied with the ICSBNT but am thinking variation may be e good thing here ... any suggestions ?

Post subject: Re: The Didache
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:04 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I'm really confused what you're asking about here. The Didache itself is an ancient (late 1st Century/early 2nd Century) Christian document that's not included with the standard RSV at all. Do you mean a Didache-branded edition? Or what?

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:39 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I'm really confused what you're asking about here. The Didache itself is an ancient (late 1st Century/early 2nd Century) Christian document that's not included with the standard RSV at all. Do you mean a Didache-branded edition? Or what?

Have you seriously never heard of the Didache Bible? We have talked about it frequently here. It is a commentary on the entire Bible with the commentary based on the Catechism. Basically, it is an edition of the Catechism where the text of the Catechism is distributed throughout the Bible, every place where the Catechism cites a scriptural reference, it puts that paragraph right next to that particular chapter and verse. There may be a little more commentary than just citations of the catechism, but the catechism is the bulk of the commentary.

https://www.amazon.com/Didache-Bible-Ja ... ache+bible

The only difference between the RSV edition and the NABRE edition is the translation used. The NABRE edition is more expensive because in addition to the Didache commentary, it also includes the usual NABRE notes, making the text significantly longer. The only real reason to prefer one edition over the other is if there is a preference for the NABRE or the RSV. If the objective is to spend as little money as possible, then the RSV edition would be the one to buy because the NABRE edition is about $30 more expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:59 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

It's not high on my radar. Now I know.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:52 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

So Doom, thanks and, if I'm hearing you right, because i already use the ICSBNT and have access to all those notations, perhaps the NABRE would be more informative as I haven't seen nor have access to their commentary. Even if the bulk of the notation is concerned with the catechism in both editions, the NABRE standard notes may add to the view I currently enjoy with the RSV2CE I currently use.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:31 pm 
King of Cool

Essential Sacrifice wrote:
So Doom, thanks and, if I'm hearing you right, because i already use the ICSBNT and have access to all those notations, perhaps the NABRE would be more informative as I haven't seen nor have access to their commentary. Even if the bulk of the notation is concerned with the catechism in both editions, the NABRE standard notes may add to the view I currently enjoy with the RSV2CE I currently use.

You get the same NABRE notes with literally any copy of the NABRE if you want them, there's no need to spend another $70 for another copy of the Didache Bible, just go to your local Barnes and Noble or any local book store and buy a cheap $10 NABRE and you'll get the same thing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:44 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Doom;
go to your local Barnes and Noble or any local book store and buy a cheap $10 NABRE and you'll get the same thing.

10-4 and thanks ... this is what I'll do to round out the info ...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:17 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
I was disappointed in the Didache. I purchased the Kindle version, and from reading the description I FULLY expected the commentary to contain more than simply the paragraph number in the CCC that relates to that passage.

If one could return ebooks, this would be one that I'd return.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:23 pm 
King of Cool

kage_ar wrote:
I was disappointed in the Didache. I purchased the Kindle version, and from reading the description I FULLY expected the commentary to contain more than simply the paragraph number in the CCC that relates to that passage.

It DOES contain more than the paragraph number, it contains the entire text of the catechism.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:33 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Doom wrote:
kage_ar wrote:

It DOES contain more than the paragraph number, it contains the entire text of the catechism.

The Kindle version does not contain the text of the Catechism. The paragraph numbers hot link to the appropriate paragraph number(s) on www.vatican.va. If one does not have an internet connection, you cannot access the Catechism information, only note the para numbers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:59 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
kage_ar wrote:

One can definitely return ebooks - at least on Amazon! As far as other vendors are concerned, it would be worth a try.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:28 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Peregrinator wrote:
kage_ar wrote:

One can definitely return ebooks - at least on Amazon! As far as other vendors are concerned, it would be worth a try.

I tried, there is a time limit and I did not catch this fault in the ebook soon enough :(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:34 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:37 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

:cry:

'The only cure for sagging or fainting faith is Communion.... Like the act of Faith it must be continuous and grow by exercise. Frequency is of the highest effect. Seven times a week is more nourishing than seven times at intervals.'
J.R.R. Tolkien

Blasé member of PPPA

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:19 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Kage:
I purchased the Kindle version, and from reading the description I FULLY expected the commentary to contain more than simply the paragraph number in the CCC that relates to that passage.

Received the Didache bible and really enjoy the additional notes etc. ... but you were quite correct, the CCC is only done in paragraph number, not the actual fully written. It is good that the CCC referenced in any certain place in the bible is justifying the relation of the CCC to the bible's (that) particular verse. I think if it was the bible would have to be twice as thick. It's ok though, I have both the Catechism in book form and electronically to reference.

I also received an NAB Catholic Study bible from a friend so the education is getting rounded out well.