Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ]   
 Post subject: THE JOURNEY HOME
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:02 pm 

Hi:
I left the catholic church 10 years ago because of the Priests, Cardinals, Bishops and Pope praying with pagans and because of the CCC statement that the God of Islam is the same as the Triune God of the Holy Scriptures. I have nothing against any individual Muslim and I continually pray for their conversion. I even pray for the conversion of the radical representatives of that religion.
I guess I would be considered a traditional, orthodox Catholic. For example, I totally reject all the so-called bible scholars and their "higher" criticism of the bible. In fact, I just threw the NAB Catholic Study Bible in the trash because of it's awful footnotes. It's hard for me to imagine any one writing those notes as being a Born from Above Christian.
However, thank God it's not my place or right to judge someone else's salvation or relationship with God. I gladly leave that to the Great White Throne Judgment of the Triune God.

So far I've had to attend several different parishes to find one that I can recognize as following the teachings of the Church. It's difficult but I think I found one. I'm even going back next Sunday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:04 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Welcome Home

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:19 pm 

The Ever Present:
Thanks. Looks like you have posted a message or two. I tell you what! You can only go to other churches for so long before you discover that their concept of history goes back about as far as 1950 or so. I really found some of these Pastors rather arrogant in the way they dismiss all the Saints, and Fathers of the church down through the centuries--and of course alot of them giving their life for their beliefs. You try to explain that and all you get is a blank look like what one earth are you talking about!! We have the bible so we don't need all those people from the dead past. Anyway, I just bought a Douay-Rheims two volvume study bible with a very, very comprehensive commentary. it is absolutely terrific. No "higher criticism" in this Bible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:50 pm 

Thomas did you get the D.R. with Haydock commentary? It's my favorite!!!

Welcome to DCF!

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:14 pm 

Yes I did. It is really good. That should be the ONLY bible used in the RCC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:19 pm 

I have learned alot in those footnotes!

Actually I got our son the Catholic Answers Bible ...and he's done quite well with it, there are Q/A sections interspersed thruout the Bible (example: Marian dogma).

We live in a predominately non-Catholic area...and he's discussed faith issues with other kids at school for a couple years now....it's come in handy to help him support our beliefs.

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:27 pm 

SV:
I'm glad to hear that your son is discussing theology with his friends. It's always such a shame the way the kids these days seem to not "get it" with their faith. Of course, you can hardly blame them considering the condition of the average parish these days. But the church has gone on for 2000 years so it will survive. I'm also encouraged with some of the emphasis on bible study that is going on these days. I love Scott Hahn's website and his free, in-depth bible studies. His website is: www.salvationhistory.com

I'm sure you already know that but just in case....
Thomas7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:33 pm 

I hear ya...many of us here are of the orthodox mindset, so you won't find too much disagreement on your assessment.....at least when it comes to some areas.

Yes I know about Hahn's website/Bible study, thanks for posting though!!!

SV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:38 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

thomas7 wrote:
The Ever Present:
Thanks. Looks like you have posted a message or two. I tell you what! You can only go to other churches for so long before you discover that their concept of history goes back about as far as 1950 or so. I really found some of these Pastors rather arrogant in the way they dismiss all the Saints, and Fathers of the church down through the centuries--and of course alot of them giving their life for their beliefs. You try to explain that and all you get is a blank look like what one earth are you talking about!! We have the bible so we don't need all those people from the dead past. Anyway, I just bought a Douay-Rheims two volvume study bible with a very, very comprehensive commentary. it is absolutely terrific. No "higher criticism" in this Bible.
I use the Navarre. I bought the NT in seperate Volumes (the single volume NT has less commentary) I havent gotten the OT yet. Most of the commentary is from the Fathers, Church Councils and Papal Documents

And speaking of history. I once went to a non-denom church on Pentecost Sunday and I mentoned that it was Pentecost and all I got was blank looks. Everybody was clueless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:46 pm 

Actually, I have the Navarre bible, and like you I bought the volumes individually because of the commentary. While I like that version I was disappointed that they buy into that nonsense of the Y, P, E etc. that different people wrote the first five books of the bible. They have ABSOLUTELY NO evidence to support that. It is just another example of the so-called modern scholars thinking they know better than the church fathers. If you haven't seen the DR bible I mentioned, you are in for a treat. It's two volumes with the text larger than normal and the commentary the normal footnote size. I would say that 75 per cent of the bible is taken up by the footnotes. What an absolute treasure it is.
Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:12 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Hi Thomas! Welcome to the board and back to the Church!

"Do not conform yourself to this age but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and pleasing and perfect." Romans 12:2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:20 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Welcome back, and may Christ guide you in the faith.

I personally use the NRSV Catholic edition. It's not a study edition, but it has linguistic footnotes, and I study widely enough, I hope, to gain enough from the fathers and popes.

We are the Roman Church, "the greatest and most ancient church, known by all, founded and organized at Rome by the two most glorious Apostles, Peter and Paul", "to whom Peter and Paul have bequeathed the Gospel sealed with their blood..."

We are the tenders of Peter's grave, we are "the budding faith Nero first made bloody in Rome. There Peter was girded by another, since he was bound to the cross."

Alleluia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:53 pm 

I'm not sure how to answer each person personally other than this quick reply at the bottom, but thank you Jackie and moreistCarmelite. The Oxford edition of the NRSV is horrible. The notes are as bad as the ones in the NAB Catholic Study Bible, but then I should have known that because the NRSV is a product of the National Council of churches with is, basically, a lost, pagan organization. Now, the NRSV WITHOUT THE theology footnotes is good. It's easy to read. For study I would recommend the DR with the very extensive commentary from the Early Church Fathers. It is soooooooo good. Thanks everyone for your warm welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:28 am 

Welcome! :)

Your objection about the CCC and Islam would make a great topic, start a new thread about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:35 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

To be fair I have the Oxford NRSV Catholic, but it has no theological discussion (in my edition, anyway), apart from a rather amusing yet polite Catholic preface noting the reasons why the deuterocanonical books are dismissed by Protestants.

We are the Roman Church, "the greatest and most ancient church, known by all, founded and organized at Rome by the two most glorious Apostles, Peter and Paul", "to whom Peter and Paul have bequeathed the Gospel sealed with their blood..."

We are the tenders of Peter's grave, we are "the budding faith Nero first made bloody in Rome. There Peter was girded by another, since he was bound to the cross."

Alleluia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:23 pm 

MoreistCarmelite
I also have the Oxford, 3rd edition I believe. I loved the way it reads but it seemed like everytime I went to the footnotes it was the same old garabe from the so-called "bible scholars" and their higher criticism which I find to be repulsive. Maybe yours is different--at least I hope so. I still have mine along with about 10 other translations but just ignore the footnotes that have to do with Christian doctrine. At least that is what I had to do. To just sit down and read and ignore the footnotes (other than those dealing with alternative readings or explanations of the words) it really is a good read. Peace
Thomas7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:35 pm 
Apostle of Iraq
Apostle of Iraq

Church Affiliations: 4th degree Knight of Columbus
It is a journey Home! The older NAB's are not as bad!

*NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL* http://www.youtube.com/defendercatholic *NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL*
http://catholicscomehome.org/epic/epic120.html
Ephesians 6:10-17
1 Timothy 3:15

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:03 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
thomas7, welcome to the board and our slice of cyberspace... what part of the great state of colorado are you from... anywhere around the archdiocese headed by that wonderful archbishop chaput?

De Maria numquam satis

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ]