Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ]   
 Post subject: Hello and intro
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:46 pm 

Hi. Just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a former catholic, raised in the faith. I was a basket case as a Catholic, constantly thinking I'd lost my salvation because I overslept and missed mass (A motal sin) or argued with my parents. Then for a while, I was convinced the brown scapular would get me to heaven if I trusted in it and was lucky enough to die wearing it. Finally, as a college student, I started actually reading the bible and learned for myself what it says about salvation. The catholic church taught me that faith in Jesus was not enough to get me into Heaven but a little brown piece of cloth was. I am happy to have left. I'll probably be banned from the forum, but I at least wanted to be honest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:55 pm 

Ok, just wanted to follow up..... I'm sorry that was a little harsh. My experience with catholicsm was bad, but I shouldnt' generalize that to everyone. I'm sure there are many Catholics who are good christians and I greatly admire the strong moral stand that the Catholic Church has taken on issues like abortion and homosexuality. I have some personal reasons for having anger about the church I was raised in (I mean the particular church, not "The Church") There were some kind of twisted things going on ..... best not to get into. But I do disagree on a theological level. If I get permission, I'd like to be allowed to debate in the apologetics forum. If I get that permission, I will do my best to be open minded and fair and a little less hostile than my opening post.
Later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:52 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Apostate
Welcome to DCF. People don't get banned here for fair challenges to the faith.

Justin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:07 am 
Middle Management
Middle Management

Religion: Catholic
You should pm BK or Signum Crucis for access to the apologetics forum.

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:09 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: I got me some.
Welcome to DCF! :wave

"Man is placed above all creatures, and not beneath them, and he cannot be satisfied or content except in something greater than himself. Greater than himself there is nothing but Myself, the Eternal God. Therefore I alone can satisfy him."

The Dialogue of the Seraphic Virgin Catherine of Siena

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:48 am 
Post Padding Princess
Post Padding Princess

Church Affiliations: Third Order Dominican
Welcome to the forum. I'm so glad you signed up (although I did get the fright of my life at first because "SilverFox" is just the username a friend of mine would use... I thought "How did she...?!?!" But anyway.) :shock:

I look forward to reading your posts. :D

Image For the Holy Souls in Purgatory. Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat eis. Requiescant in pace. Amen.

Kage_ar rocks :mrgreen:

Need a new website? :-D

(Mrs-Sorbonnetoga! ;) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:04 am 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Thank you for your honesty. Would you mind telling us why, if you're glad you left the Church, what your purpose is here?

Siggy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:39 am 

Thank you for the welcomes and for forgiving my lack of tact. As for why I'm here, I guess its for a number of reasons. Initially, I think I wanted to vent a little though I now feel this is not the place to do so and will try to be more respectful. Also I like to discuss matters of faith, and find apologetics interesting. Finally, I'm a little bit concerned about the salvation of many Catholics. Now I am not saying that I think all Catholics are going to hell or anything like that, but I believe that salvation is through faith in Jesus and not by relying on ones good works to get to heaven. While I am aware that the RCC does not officially teach salvation by works, I am concerned because in my 20 or so years as a catholic, I never was explained the actual gospel. I was convinced that one gets to heaven mainly by being a good person, and by dying without mortal sin. I knew that Jesus had died on the cross and that He was God, but didn't understand how His sacrfice purchased our salvation. Because I was relying on my own efforts to get to heaven, or on man made things like the brown scapular (and yes, I'm aware Catholics believe it was given to them by Mary in a vision, I will discuss that another day) and not putting complete faith in God, I believe I was not saved and not on the road to heaven. I am concerned that some catholics may be in the same state. And, basically, I want everyone to go to heaven. I apologize if any of that sounds offensive in a "I know more than you do" way. I didnt' come to my beliefs easily, in fact, it took nearly five years for me to leave the Catholic Now I do not feel that being a Christian (i.e. accepting Christ as ones' personal saviour) means one must leave the Catholic Church, as I did. In fact, my best friend from college, who I respect as one of the most dedicated and committed Christians I know, remains a Catholic, but I'm concerned about Catholics and the salvation issue. Ok, that pretty much covers it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:54 am 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

I'll add you to the Apologetics forum.

I was 42 when I converted to Catholicism. It was from the Church that the actual Gospel was explained to me.

You say it took you nearly five years to leave the Catholic Church. Leaving was always in the back of your mind; otherwise, you would have sought out the knowledge and reassurance that the Church could have given you if you had wanted it. I found it very easily, and I don't believe that we get to heaven by our own efforts because I know that that's not what the Church teaches. A good reading of the Catechism relieved my mind of that notion. I learned more about salvation in one year of being Catholic than I learned in 42 years of being Protestant.

Siggy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:20 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Welcome, Silverfox. :) I hope you enjoy your time here. And keep in mind that, unfortunately, there are alot of poorly-catechized Catholics out there. However, there are alot of extremely knowledgeable Catholics in here, on these boards, and if you give them a fair shot, you'll learn quite a bit. And I'm not saying that in a "we know more than you do" way. ;) But I am saying to keep a humble, open mind about things. And we should do the same. God bless.

"To fall in love with God is the greatest of all romances; To seek Him, the greatest adventure; To find Him, the greatest human achievement." --- St. Augustine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:21 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
welcome to the board silverfox...and thanks for being concerned about my salvation... however as one who has rejected the True Church of Jesus, you are much more at risk than those who follow Christ's teachings thru the Church faithfully.... i'm sorry your catechesis was so poor and faulty , but that's not that surprising these days.... hope you can learn enough on the board to come back to the fullness of truth that is our faith

(btw, where does it say in the bible that one must "accept Jesus as ones personal Savior" to be a Christian....i know Jesus said that unless you eat His Flesh and drink His Blood, that you don't have life in you....that you must eat His flesh and drink His Blood to have everlasting life , to abide in Him, so that He may abide in you [bible]John 6:54-58[/bible] that sounds pretty clear to me and obviously something , as a non-Catholic, that you cannot do...now whose salvation should you be concerned about :shock: )

i too was a late in life convert to the faith , as sig was... i can only tell you that i have never been more alive spiritually than in the last 8 years....and i continue to thank our Blessed Mother each day for leading me to Her Son and into His Church

De Maria numquam satis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:27 am 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Yup, not only did I miss out on many years that I could have been living an enriched life, but my older children missed out, too. Raising them Protestant did nothing for their spiritual life. They are all lax Christians (so they call themselves), believing that all they have to do to get into heaven is believe in God and be a good person. My oldest son told me that just over a week ago. "Mom, I don't have to be Catholic to get into heaven. I'm a good person, I believe in God, and I don't think He will turn me away just because I don't go to church or worship a certain way."

Siggy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:24 am 
Huckleberry
Huckleberry

Welcome, Silverfox. This board is a wonderful place to exchange ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:11 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Welcome! I am glad you are here Silverfox.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:09 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Hi Silverfox! Welcome to the board.

Thank you for sharing your reasons for being here. I like to thing that perhaps there is another reason that you do not even realize. Perhaps the Holy Spirit has lead you here so that you can learn about the Church that you left and return to the fullness of truth that is found only in that Church.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:33 pm 

Welcome!

Please don't get angry about the Catholic faith, you were taught certain things that were incorrect.

Please post your questions and objections (if you wanna debate, you'll find your fill in the apologetics forum.

The brown scapular thing: This is a good thing to get clarified in Catholicism 101 forum. Someone taught you something big time incorrect about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:51 pm 
Deceased

Religion: Roman Catholic
Hi Silverfox,
I think men have a hard time with the Catholic faith, when they are young. The brown scapular is a Sacramental, not a Sacrament. However, Communion, Catholic Communion, is what gives us the saving graces.
I'm happy to see you here. Your honesty is a plus, so I hope we can all have a positive dialogue!

WELCOME! :)

God bless,
Lolly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:48 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Welcome Silverfox! :wave

"Do whatever He tells you." John 2:5

For our little ones in need of prayer.

http://knockingeverywhere.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:56 pm 
Motorcycle Mormon
Motorcycle Mormon

Location: in my canoe (far far away from texas frog giggers) making Foam Torpedoes
Religion: LDS
Wow...This is gonna be fun...and my learning curve might actually increase. :D
Welcome to the board Silverfox!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:21 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Welcome to the board.

http://www.latinmass.org

Pray for the Latin Rite liturgy!

Prayers for baby Luukas

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ]