Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 1 of 2   [ 30 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: just another dirty (Catholic) liberal...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:48 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Hi everybody. I've been reading this forum for a while now and have finally decided to create my own account. I'm a liberal Catholic living in Maine. 13 years of Catholic school, a very devout (though also liberal) mom and a recently converted dad. I've noticed a lot of very conservatively slanted posts and I just thought I'd throw my two cents in. See you on the boards.

Peace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:07 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: sitting on a fencepost, chewing my bubblegum , playing with my YO-YO…
Religion: Catholic
Uh huh !
I once heard that there was no liberal Catholics or conservative Catholics
Just Catholics who follow the magisterial teaching of the Church.

Welcome to the board !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:11 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Apostate
Welcome to DCF. Please be advised that this board is an apostolate for new Catholics and for those who are seeking.

Justin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:34 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

I understand. But shouldnt new Catholics (and old ones) be challenged to really think about what they believe? Too many people just believe because they've been told to. I really think you should think long and hard about why you believe what you believe. I'm not saying you should forsake your beliefs, quite the opposite, I'm saying you should reinforce them by truly making them your own.

"These children! These children are not terrorists! These children are not the enemy!" ~Anonymous Grieving Lebonese Mother

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:34 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
oh my...did you decide uiowastudent was too outnumbered... welcome to the board...enjoy your stay

De Maria numquam satis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:55 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

thanks. no, i joined because i'm catholic and i'm very interested in hearing what other people have to say concerning our faith. :-)

Peace.

"These children! These children are not terrorists! These children are not the enemy!" ~Anonymous Grieving Lebonese Mother

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:00 pm 
Vegemite Queen Moderator
Vegemite Queen Moderator

WagePeace14 wrote:
I understand. But shouldnt new Catholics (and old ones) be challenged to really think about what they believe? Too many people just believe because they've been told to. I really think you should think long and hard about why you believe what you believe. I'm not saying you should forsake your beliefs, quite the opposite, I'm saying you should reinforce them by truly making them your own.

H there WagePeace14,

Welcome to our board. I look forward to many conversations with you about the church and what she teaches.

Do you also include yourself in the Catholic that should be challenged and think about what you believe?

I am unaware of anyone who believe just because they have been told to. I follow the teachings of the church as this has fullfilled me much more that following what I want has. I have experienced true peace in following the church and listening to what she teaches.

God bless
Therese

formerly Aussiemum07

My Blog: Aussie Coffee Shop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:33 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
nice post, am... i can only echo what you have said in that these last 8+ years of being Catholic (7+ in full communion) have been by far the most fulfilling of my life... obedience does have its rewards :wink: 8-)

De Maria numquam satis

Post subject: Re: just another dirty (Catholic) liberal...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:34 pm 
Apostle of Iraq
Apostle of Iraq

Church Affiliations: 4th degree Knight of Columbus
WagePeace14 wrote:
Hi everybody. I've been reading this forum for a while now and have finally decided to create my own account. I'm a liberal Catholic living in Maine. 13 years of Catholic school, a very devout (though also liberal) mom and a recently converted dad. I've noticed a lot of very conservatively slanted posts and I just thought I'd throw my two cents in. See you on the boards.

Peace.

Look forward to the debate! It shall be fun! God bless!

*NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL* http://www.youtube.com/defendercatholic *NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL*
http://catholicscomehome.org/epic/epic120.html
Ephesians 6:10-17
1 Timothy 3:15

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:06 am 
Board Administrator
Board Administrator

Why is there an assumption that those who choose to follow the Magesterium don't think? I hope you are here in the same spirit of open mindedness that you would like to see in the "other side"...

God Bless,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:03 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

WagePeace14 wrote:

Heehee, oh lady(first laugh I've had for a few weeks)...welcome to the board but with all due respect, you're probably going to get buried. And no, many people DON'T "just believe because they've been told to"....nope, some of us here(self included) were taught TO BELIEVE THE WRONG THINGS and we can thank our CCD teachers,etc. for such. I thank God for a board like this that has further helped explain and reinforce the True Teachings of the Church I've spent a long time trying to learn, come to grips with, and understand, not further confuse me or detour me with a "liberal slant" or "free-thinking/choosing". Sorry!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:45 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: I got me some.
Welcome to DCF.

I have worked with and/or studied under many devout liberal Catholics in the Fort Worth Diocese. I have learned that neither liberals nor conservatives have the market cornered when it comes ot piety. Nor is orthodoxy limited to one side or the other but can operate like a lense through which they interpret the doctrine of the faith.

"Man is placed above all creatures, and not beneath them, and he cannot be satisfied or content except in something greater than himself. Greater than himself there is nothing but Myself, the Eternal God. Therefore I alone can satisfy him."

The Dialogue of the Seraphic Virgin Catherine of Siena

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:39 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

what does magisterial mean?

Im not Catholic, but may convert in time, but consider myself liberal :)

welcome to this board

"One single act of love will make us know Jesus better...It will bring us closer to him for all eternity." -----St. Therese of Liseux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:48 am 
Post Padding Princess
Post Padding Princess

Church Affiliations: Third Order Dominican
Welcome to the board!! :thumbsup:

Image For the Holy Souls in Purgatory. Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat eis. Requiescant in pace. Amen.

Kage_ar rocks :mrgreen:

Need a new website? :-D

(Mrs-Sorbonnetoga! ;) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:49 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Hi, Peace! Welcome to the board. I look forward to reading your posts to see what you mean by liberal. Much study has convinced me that the Catholic Church was founded by Jesus Christ and given the guidance of the Holy Spirit to teach the truth in matters of faith and morals. So if the Church teaches it (on faith & morals), I have to believe that it comes from God and therefore is to believed.

By the way, Emily referred to you as "Lady", but from your intro I could not tell if you are male or female. Care to enlighten us as to your gender?

"Do not conform yourself to this age but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and pleasing and perfect." Romans 12:2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:32 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Welcome, WP. I too wonder what people mean by 'liberal' or 'conservative' Catholic. There is authentic Catholicism and that that isn't.

I wonder what you mean by 'very conservative slant' in posts? :? I mean, there is only one Truth and it isn't subjective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:43 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Jackie wrote:
Hi, Peace! Welcome to the board. I look forward to reading your posts to see what you mean by liberal. Much study has convinced me that the Catholic Church was founded by Jesus Christ and given the guidance of the Holy Spirit to teach the truth in matters of faith and morals. So if the Church teaches it (on faith & morals), I have to believe that it comes from God and therefore is to believed.

By the way, Emily referred to you as "Lady", but from your intro I could not tell if you are male or female. Care to enlighten us as to your gender?

hmmm....I may have misread Jackie, I thought "Peace" said she/he was a very devout(and liberal) mom. Maybe she meant she HAD a very devout and liberal mom.....and recently converted dad,etc. It was a figure of speech more than anything if "Peace" is female :wink: , my apologies on the gender!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:42 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Emily, I read it the way you did at first and then thought Peace was referring to parents. (I almost wrote 'her' parents. I guess I'm thinking Peace is female, too. :) )

"Do not conform yourself to this age but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and pleasing and perfect." Romans 12:2

Post subject: Re: just another dirty (Catholic) liberal...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:51 am 
Master
Master

WagePeace14 wrote:

Peace.

Why the emphasis on "liberal"...

...welcome to DCF

Do not hesitate to pm me with questions or concerns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:09 am 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

WagePeace has a blog, which identifies her as female.

Siggy

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 1 of 2   [ 30 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next