Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:13 am 

Religion: Catholic
I am a recent convert to Catholicism. Prior to becoming Catholic, I was Southern Baptist and served for 10 years a pastor in a local church. My journey into the Church began when I came to the conclusion that Catholic teaching on the Eucharist was correct. I also came to the realization that, without the teaching authority of the Church, the Christian faith devolves into an issue of personal preference with little rooting in the historical faith Jesus revealed.

I wish I could say that my faith journey has been headed upward since reconciling to the Church. However, I have really struggled to build a consistent spiritual life. Prior to joining the Church, I had gone through a divorce that devastated me. For a long period of time, I had very little to do with God. Instead, I turned to alcohol and drugs to numb myself to the pain of it all. So, when I finally found my way into the Church, it very much felt like I had found a safe harbor, a place where I could be safe and experience healing.

Unfortunately, I have made little forward progress since that time. I do not feel as if though I have gone forward with my faith. All of the momentum of that event has been replaced by a spiritual inertia that keeps me in place. I still struggle with the bad habits I developed during my time away from God. I also have a tendency toward laziness. What I want is to break the cycle.

That is why I am on here. I'm looking for fellow Catholics who can provide both correction and encouragement to help me on my way.

Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe. - St. Augustine

Post subject: Re: Hello
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:28 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: SSVdP
Welcome.

We have Catholics from all over the world and at various levels of spiritual maturity.

Some here have come from a similar background to you.

Some people struggle with living our their faith.

I pray that being part of this virtual community will help you remain faithful to the Gospel.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:51 am 
Highness
Highness

Religion: Syro Malabar Christian
:wave

I recommend books of Fr. Jacques Philippe, particularly Searching for and Maintaining Peace

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:21 am 

Religion: Roman Catholic
We are glad you are here Cassady and welcome. I can relate to some of your struggles and I will send you a PM.

Pax!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:31 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
Cassady71 wrote:
... I do not feel as if though I have gone forward with my faith. All of the momentum of that event has been replaced by a spiritual inertia that keeps me in place. I still struggle with the bad habits I developed during my time away from God. I also have a tendency toward laziness. What I want is to break the cycle.

That is why I am on here. I'm looking for fellow Catholics who can provide both correction and encouragement to help me on my way.

Thank you for your honesty. In my experience I think many people, myself included, can identify with you.

Welcome to the board. :wave

- I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

- I remember a lot of things. (Some of which actually happened.)

- Even the best of men may be born in times unsuited to their virtues.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:21 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Endow facilitator
Welcome to the boards! :wave

I can relate to struggling with spiritual laziness at times. Especially when life is generally good and we don't feel the need for God to help us, it's easy to take Him for granted.

Will :pray: for you.

"Never read books you aren't sure about . . . even supposing that these bad books are very well written from a literary point of view. Let me ask you this: Would you drink something you knew was poisoned just because it was offered to you in a golden cup?" --St. John Bosco

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:50 am 

Thank you for the welcome! I am looking forward to the interactions that I have with each of you. BTW - Jack3, I purchased the book you recommended. It should be at my home tomorrow. :D

Scott

Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe. - St. Augustine

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:36 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

:wave Hi, Scott! Welcome to the board

I recently purchased that book as well. I'm giving it to myself for Christmas, so I haven't begun to read it yet.

"Do not conform yourself to this age but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and pleasing and perfect." Romans 12:2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:10 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Welcome Aboard!!! :salut:

“The next time something bad happens to you through no fault of your own, and you are about to complain to God, ‘I didn’t deserve that,’ look at a crucifix and say those same words to Him: ‘I didn’t deserve that.’ It gives you a sense of perspective.” Dr. Peter Kreeft

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:30 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
welcome to our slice of cyberspace, but most importantly , welcome home... enjoy your stay with us... i pray that it is mutually beneficial

'98 tiber swim team alumnus
ex-southern baptist

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:32 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Welcome! I am glad you came here. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:54 am 
Eminent
Eminent

Welcome!

:wave :wave :wave

Vietnamese - Mother's Heart Will Conquer.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:03 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

hello
will pray. thank you for sharing your story.
you can always turn to the Blessed Mother and your guardian angel all throughout your day with your feelings and struggles. try to pray every day you can google catholic prayers for whatever situations or problems you have. patron saints too.