Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: becoming catholic
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:00 pm 

Religion: becoming catholic
In September, my wife and I start the classes to become catholic. I am 42 years old.

Maybe 2 months, we spoke to the local catholic priest. Father Nicholas is an excellent priest. By next Easter, hopefully we'll be officially confirmed Catholic. Right now we've started praying every night and my wife and I read from some Catholic books before we go to bed.

I personally was in a horrible car accident February 18, 2007. I was making the long drive from Martinsville, Va to Richmond. I started around 6:00 pm and the accident I think was around 8:00. I fell asleep at the wheel after a long day. I should have called in and been off the work the next day so I could make the trip the next morning, but nobody's perfect. In fact I was in a coma for 26 days and in the hospital for basically 2 months. My left lung stopped twice, suffered some brain damage (I am all right up there now), and had to have a metal femur replace my old femur.

The most amazing thing is about the ambulance. The wreck was out in the middle of nowhere. The ambulance at the time was headed to another wreck. That person died. They then heard about my accident. They came and rescued me. They then took to the Richmond/VCU hospital. If the other person hadn't passed away, maybe I would have died. I have absolutely no ill will toward the people the person who died or their family, but it is a miracle I'm alive.

I was so close to dying.

Before the accident, I didn't really care about God or religion. My father unfortunately is against all religion so I was raised not religious.

Since the car accident, I have really started to believe there is a God. The Lord saved me in 2007.

I've been married close to 4 years. My wife had some problems and finally saw the Lord was needed to help her solve her problems. That's why we saw Father Nicholas.

I can't wait for September to start the classes and really can't wait for next Easter.

Post subject: Re: becoming catholic
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:48 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
A captivating story.

Welcome to the board. :wave

- I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

- I remember a lot of things. (Some of which actually happened.)

- Even the best of men may be born in times unsuited to their virtues.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:25 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
I suspect there's even more to the story than you've let on, but that's totally okay. God has a plan for you! Welcome to the forum.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:58 pm 

Religion: becoming catholic
There is more to the story. I don't want to get into my wife's problems or why my father isn't religious, but the Lord and Father Nicholas have basically solved my wife's problems. Plus another thing is alcohol. I got annoyed for awhile after my accident that everybody (not including family and friends) thought I had been drinking. Very not true. Before the wreck, I would drink maybe 6 beers a year and that was at a sports bar where I would watch my favorite football team, the Chicago Bears. Now I simply don't drink alcohol.

Something else. My wife is a physical therapist assistant here in Martinsville. I of course back then needed physical therapy. I tried the local hospital for therapy. They were terrible and only saw me for one hour per week.

I then tried to get therapy where my wife works. To make a long story short, that's how we met and fell in love.

It just seems like my life since the car accident has been oddly planned. Now I think the Lord has a plan for me.

Before the wreck, like I wrote, I didn't care about religion. Now it's a very big part of my life. I go to mass every Sunday with wife and we pray every night.

Right now is the best time of my life. Before the wreck, I was miserable. I have a college degree, but didn't use it wisely. I was working two low paying jobs and very lonely and unhappy. Since the car accident, I have found the Lord and he has set me on the right path.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:09 pm 
There Can Be Only One

Yup. Welcome.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:02 am 
Citizen
Citizen

You will find more and more happiness and peace as you continue your path with Jesus in the Catholic Church. I am happy for you.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:40 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Endow facilitator
Welcome to the forums! :wave It's awesome how God has worked in your life. :D

"Never read books you aren't sure about . . . even supposing that these bad books are very well written from a literary point of view. Let me ask you this: Would you drink something you knew was poisoned just because it was offered to you in a golden cup?" --St. John Bosco

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:46 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
welcome to our slice of cyberspace... and welcome home... it's where our Lord wants you to be ... enjoy your stay

tiber swim team alum
april '98

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:36 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

:wave

We are here to help with any questions you may have.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:55 pm 
Corporate Minion Moderator
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Hello, Mr. and Mrs. bighoosfan! As my dear friend (and unindicted co-conspirator) faithfulservant has said already, welcome to our little slice of cyberspace. Jump on in, the Tiber water's fine! (Tiber Swim Team, Class of 2012)

Like you, I had a long and eventful journey into Christ's One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. Like you, a big part of the story involved an automobile accident and an ambulance being somewhere they'd never normally have been being the miraculous factor in saving a life. It wasn't my life, though, it was my 14-year-old (at that time) daughter. If you want the details, I'll show you where to find them, but I've told the tale several times before here, and besides, this is about you, not me. :yes:

I merely tell you this so that if you want to talk to someone who's "been there/done that," we're here. No question is too simple, too complicated, too ridiculous, too common, or too unique. A lot of us (myself included) even went from taking RCIA to teaching RCIA.

We even talk about things outside the Church. Step into The Pub sometime. I'm guessing you're a hoops fan (gee, that's too bad); but we do all kinds of sports talk. Me, I'm just relishing the fact that we've got fewer than 70 days before college football kicks off! GO DAWGS!Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:45 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Welcome to DCF! :) I appreciate you telling your story, and look forward to your posts.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:23 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

:wave Hi, bighoosfan! Welcome to the board!

"Do not conform yourself to this age but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and pleasing and perfect." Romans 12:2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:54 am 
Eminent
Eminent

Welcome to the board!

:wave

Vietnamese - Mother's Heart Will Conquer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:55 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Welcome Aboard!!! :salut:

“The next time something bad happens to you through no fault of your own, and you are about to complain to God, ‘I didn’t deserve that,’ look at a crucifix and say those same words to Him: ‘I didn’t deserve that.’ It gives you a sense of perspective.” Dr. Peter Kreeft

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:07 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I pray that God will bless your quest to become a confirmed member in the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church were the fullness of faith is found. Also, welcome to DCF.