Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Returning...but it's diffficult
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:13 pm 

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: St. Phillomena Apostolate
Hi there. I joined the Church when I was in college. I was a music major and sang as a cantor for the Church for years before I felt called to join the Church. I married a craddle-Catholic in the Church and ultimately got a civil divorce after almost 9 years of marriage and 4 children, having been told by several priests that I had a duty to separate under the circumstances. I tried to maintain my faith but really had a horrible experience with the priests and people of the church I attended as I went through my divorce. I confided in only my confessor and one close friend and spoke of the condition of my separation/divorce and marriage to no one else, but my ex waged an unholy war aginst me through anyone who would listen. It was ultimately all too much (and doesn't bear going into as I did not wish then, or now to commit the sin of detraction) but those with whom he had shared calumny against me turned against me as well. There was literally no one who had not fallen to Satan's lies as pronounced by my ex as truth.

I ran (figuratively). I ran from the Church and I ran from the evil I was fighting. I, mistakenly, did not see that the evil had won for a time because I allowed myself to be convinced that the Church herself was evil since the congregants and the priests behaved as they did. Years after I fell away I remairried outside the Church and am now in a nonconforming marriage. I continued to share St. Phillomena with others as opportunity arose, said grace before meals and prayers at bedime with my children, and be "spiritual" but did not attend Mass, etc.

My ex sought an annulment but I opposed it because every one of his claims in the annulment were just as calumnious as what I experienced in our divorce and I could not, in good conscience, agree with his reasons why he should be granted an annulment, even though the granting of one would allow my own marriage to be blessed in the Church. My thought was that an annulment based on lies would result in a spiritually invalid annulment. At present, I am still fighting his request for annulment through the Rota but have no idea if I can seek an annulment myself based on the actual truth of defect since we are at the appelate stage (I was not given notice becuase me address changed and he managed to have the annulment granted stateside before I was aware of the totality of things). I really have little idea of where or how to begin and it is extremely painful.
Thank you for lisening.

Post subject: Re: Returning...but it's diffficult
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:30 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Welcome aboard!! :salut:

We are always willing to listen and will help wherever we can....there are many knowledgeable people on this forum including clergy. They will answer your questions charitably and honestly. I hope you enjoy your stay here!!

“The next time something bad happens to you through no fault of your own, and you are about to complain to God, ‘I didn’t deserve that,’ look at a crucifix and say those same words to Him: ‘I didn’t deserve that.’ It gives you a sense of perspective.” Dr. Peter Kreeft

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:26 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Welcome to DCF! :)

May the Lord bless you and lead you on your spiritual journey. :pray:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:11 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I know (because I've talked with people in the process and the people who help them) that dealing with annulments is painful, so please don't think you're the only one who struggles with this.

When it comes to specific marriage/annulment questions, the only answer anyone on the Internet can give is, "Ask your local priest." He might send you to someone else who is better trained, but whoever you end up with will know a lot more about the process and how it works in your area than any of us will.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:35 pm 

Church Affiliations: St. Phillomena Apostolate
Thank you for the welcome. :wave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:34 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Endow facilitator
Hello and welcome, Volatpropris! :wave

I do not have any advice, but will :pray: for you.

"Never read books you aren't sure about . . . even supposing that these bad books are very well written from a literary point of view. Let me ask you this: Would you drink something you knew was poisoned just because it was offered to you in a golden cup?" --St. John Bosco

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:21 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

:wave Hi, Volatpropris! Welcome to the board.

"Do not conform yourself to this age but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and pleasing and perfect." Romans 12:2