Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fresh Start
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:08 am 

Religion: Roman Catholic
So I'm a 30 year old man from New England. Married, two kids, sucky job. I was raised in the Roman Catholic Church, baptised, communion, confirmation, the whole nine yards. Over a decade ago, I walked away from the Church. Mostly it was over the priest scandal, also because I just didn't feel a connection to God or the Church any longer.

Lately, I've felt the pull to come back. I keep coming back to the term 'warrior for God' in my head. My issue is, I'm pretty much everything the Church seems to hate. I'm bisexual, I married an agnostic outside of the Church, I believe in reincarnation, and in science.

I've been to talk to a priest, went through Confession, but it still doesn't feel...right. There was some defensiveness to him. But I still feel the pull, the want to be back with my Church. So I guess this is my "Hello, I'm a complete mess of a Catholic!" post

Post subject: Re: Fresh Start
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:54 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
Welcome! We're all a work in progress. :)

I would also say that, though individual Catholics sometimes fail to reflect the Church's goodness, the Church does not hate people with same sex attraction, irregular marriages, etc., She doesn't hate anyone. And if you have questions about what the Church thinks about science, you'll find centuries of examples.

You will find plenty of opportunity on this board to learn more about the fullness of Truth within the Church, what she teaches (as opposed to what people think she teaches), and how we can grow in our relationship with Christ.

Nice to meet you. :wave

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:22 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Welcome to DCF Blackthorn! :)

Feel free to ask questions in Catholicism 101.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:14 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Welcome Aboard!!! :salut:

“The next time something bad happens to you through no fault of your own, and you are about to complain to God, ‘I didn’t deserve that,’ look at a crucifix and say those same words to Him: ‘I didn’t deserve that.’ It gives you a sense of perspective.” Dr. Peter Kreeft

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:04 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Welcome to the board!

The Church believes in science, too. Just do a search for Catholic scientists. I think you'll be surprised at what you find.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:41 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

:wave Hi, Blackthorne! Welcome to the board.

Perhaps it doesn't feel 'right' yet because you haven't totally reconciled with the Church. You said that you talked to a priest and went to confession, but didn't mention having your marriage regularized. If that is the case, and you are living as husband and wife in a marriage not recognized by the Church, you really can't receive absolution in confession or receive Holy Communion. God is calling you back to the Church (that pull you feel), so I hope you'll talk to the priest again and take the steps needed to make that happen.

"Do not conform yourself to this age but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and pleasing and perfect." Romans 12:2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:10 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Endow facilitator
Hello, Blackthorne, and welcome to DCF. :wave

"Never read books you aren't sure about . . . even supposing that these bad books are very well written from a literary point of view. Let me ask you this: Would you drink something you knew was poisoned just because it was offered to you in a golden cup?" --St. John Bosco

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:13 pm 
Eminent
Eminent

Religion: Католик
Welcome :wave

Abortion and infanticide are abominable crimes. (Gaudium et Spes, 51)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:06 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Welcome!

I was a former atheist and had none of the advantages of grace from the Sacraments that you have.

God has blessed you.

Hope we can be of help.

"End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it. White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:36 am 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
Howdy! Very interesting first post. You said that you are pretty much everything the Church seems to hate. That thought came from the devil. He's trying to convince you that you aren't even wanted back, and that your sins define you, so there's is no point in trying to do good and avoid evil now. He is quite wrong, on all counts. Look at it this way, your sins aren't all that special, what makes you any more hated by the Church that any other person who goes to confession and has lied, cheated, and stolen? Or committed adultery, etc? The Church doesn't hate these people either, but what she does want is for us to do penance and amend our lives. It is precisely because God, and the Church, loves us that we are commanded to do these things. You see, you have it exactly opposite from the truth. You have to resist these thoughts and temptations from the devil as they begin, don't stew in them or let them fester.

- Justice Scalia, dissent, King v. Burwell.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:59 am 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
A lot of people fall away when they are 20, for all sorts of reasons, even the sins of others, which is really a poor reason if you think about it. Your priest can probably guide you the best. I would recommend making an appointment to talk him. He's heard It before. I'm a few years older than you and am glad that the stupidity of my 20's is behind me. It's easier to think clearly now.

If I could give you one piece of advice it would be to pray daily. More is always better, and if you could get in a daily rosary that would be great, but never let your head hit the pillow without having said at least one prayer that day. Just one, no matter what, every day. It will make a difference.

I'll pray for you at mass today.

- Justice Scalia, dissent, King v. Burwell.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:24 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Belief is good, faith is better. Welcome back.