Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:57 pm 

Religion: Follower of Christ
:wave

Just joined here to learn more about Catholicism. I was raised protestant but open to Catholicism. I have for the past few months been following Catholic Boards/Threads learning. I have learned quite a lot and seen the much different perspective than what I was taught as a protestant (school). As I am sure alot of you are already aware of negative beliefs and comments about the Catholic Church the protestants hold.
I have been trying to understand Catholicism and slowly succeeding. What motivated me to check Catholicism out was for the fact 1. Didn't make sense why Catholics are still Catholic after the negative beliefs protestants hold 2. My grandma is Catholic and is dead set that Catholicism is the True Church. 3. Pope Francis is the first Pope I admire and have respect for.
Where I am at, is I understand the Peter Scripture and cannot argue it after looking at it in Aramaic... and I understand the Saints. The other 7 books that Catholics have I still have questions about. I also understand the Eucharist and the purpose of Confession. I also understand the Church is a reflection of OT Israel.
What I do not understand is why is it a sin to miss Mass (not taking the Eucharist every weekvs once a month or year) and if not going to Confession is a sin (why?)
Also requesting good links explaining how the Catholic Church is right compared to protestant prefer scripture references/explanations or current culture in context of scripture .
I have recently looked at a local Catholic Church, but have not attended yet. Mostly because I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing and not condemning my soul. Also I am asking for links to the rebuttal of what SDA's believe with the Church/Pope being "evil/AntiChrist" basically.... and links rebuttal of Paganism and Catholicism.
(Yeah I have heard alot of things)
Also have questions of the early Catholic Church not letting people have scripture copies or bible copies and these "mistranslations" of scripture before Martin Luther came about and "made" them translate correctly?

Post subject: Re: Hi
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:02 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Endow facilitator
Hi and welcome to DCF! :wave

To get the best answers, I think most of your questions would be appropriate for the Catholicism 101 forum. Not everyone checks the Welcome and Introductions forum, and even if they do, they might not look for questions within the thread.

I've seen some arguments about so-called "mistranslations" and how the Catholic Church didn't "let" people have copies of the Bible... and it usually comes down to a lack of knowledge about the history of the Bible itself.

It's hard to argue, because it's not just one specific detail that those who make this claim are misunderstanding (or misrepresenting), and it takes time to address all of the problems with it. For now, I'll say there are many reasons this idea is false. For instance, where did the canon come from? Who decided which books would be included and which would not? And there is the issue of the Septuagint (in Greek) vs the Hebrew copies of the Old Testament. I'll let you look those up, or ask about it in Cath 101. :wink:

Also, for a long time, Bibles were copied by hand, so not very many people had access to them because they were so few and so precious! The hand-copying process was slow, painstaking, and expensive. Letting just anyone have a Bible was not feasible or prudent because there were so relatively few copies available. Think about it: which person in each parish should be given the Holy Bible when you only have one copy from which the priest is supposed to teach the whole community?

But some Protestants try to claim this was the Church "keeping the Bible from the common man." Yeah... maybe in the same sense that museums "keep" rare and priceless objects from the common man! (I can hear it now: "What, you mean I can't touch that original painting of the Mona Lisa or take it home to hang over my fireplace? Why should I have to pay so much to own it? What is the museum trying to hide from us common people!?") :wink:

So anyway, then the movable type printing press came along and the Gutenberg Bible was printed and began to be more widely distributed because the cost and time involved in making copies was significantly reduced.

I also won't get into Luther here, because that deserves its own thread. :P

Hope you enjoy the boards!

"Never read books you aren't sure about . . . even supposing that these bad books are very well written from a literary point of view. Let me ask you this: Would you drink something you knew was poisoned just because it was offered to you in a golden cup?" --St. John Bosco

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:16 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
Welcome. :wave

- I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

- I remember a lot of things. (Some of which actually happened.)

- Even the best of men may be born in times unsuited to their virtues.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:06 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Welcome Aboard!!! :salut: :salut:

“The next time something bad happens to you through no fault of your own, and you are about to complain to God, ‘I didn’t deserve that,’ look at a crucifix and say those same words to Him: ‘I didn’t deserve that.’ It gives you a sense of perspective.” Dr. Peter Kreeft

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:25 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
welcome to our slice of cyberspace ...enjoy your stay :wave

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:22 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

:wave

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:04 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Welcome to the board. :)

I echo Catholic Roses recommendation that you pose any questions in the Catholic 101 forum. A number of us came to this board looking for help to answer our questions and there are a lot of knowledgeable people who are happy to help. And some not so knowledgeable people, but we try. I know I found this board indispensable when I was questioning.

The good thing is because many of us are converts from protestant faiths we have all the same things that you have heard. We understand where you are coming from, and we've answered those questions for ourselves.

"We never give more honour to Jesus than when we honour his Mother, and we honour her simply and solely to honour him all the more perfectly. We go to her only as a way leading to the goal we seek - Jesus, her Son."
-Saint Louis Marie de Montfort

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:40 am 
Eminent
Eminent

Religion: Католик
Welcome to DCF,

You may be surprised that we are reading more Scripture in both Sunday and daily Masses.

Abortion and infanticide are abominable crimes. (Gaudium et Spes, 51)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:28 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Welcome to DCF! Don't hesitate to ask one question at a time in Catholicism 101. :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:40 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

:wave Hi, ChildofGod! Welcome to the board.

"Do not conform yourself to this age but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and pleasing and perfect." Romans 12:2