Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Spanking children?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:21 am 

Religion: Catholic
Hi,
I have been a catholic for 30 years and I am a convert. My husband used to spank our children when they were small and this affected them much. They were always afraid of him and they still are!
I have loved listening to Steve Ray on youtube for weeks now, but this morning I heard him saying something that he is in favour of spanking?! Is this true?
Many must be like me, that this is not a loving upbringing. Kids can be educated and punished in so many many other ways!
Thanks for answering
Ingela

Post subject: Re: Spanking children?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:13 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Welcome to DCF Ingela!

Perhaps you would like to introduce yourself by telling us a little bit about yourself.

Your question about spanking could be brought up in the family section.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:22 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
Hello Ingela,

Spanking was part of a discussion back in September under the heading of Discipling Children (HERE). That thread will give you some idea of the opinions and experiences of the people on this board. Please feel free to join in that discussion.

And, by the way, welcome to DCF.

:wave

- I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

- I remember a lot of things. (Some of which actually happened.)

- Even the best of men may be born in times unsuited to their virtues.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:48 am 

Hi again!
I am a Swedish woman in my 50-ies. I was so stunned and chocked by reading in the family blogg about spanking. Then I checked online and found out that the US do not have a law against "spanking children", but let's call it what it really is: hitting and abusing our own children. Sweden got the law in 1979. Check out what 38 (!) other countries that have a law against hitting children.

I'm sorry for speaking bluntly but this is a very important question to me...

I have myself been abused by my own husband, so I know how it feels like to be scolded/hit/scared and feeling without any right to my life.

As Dr Phil has talked on TV there are other effective ways in punishing our children, check it out!

I read somewhere that hitting our children are supported in the Bible... but consider this: arranged marriages where practiced also between the christians a long time ago... would any christian woman today accept arranged marriages just because it was practiced before??!!

Us catholics believe the human life should be respected from the conception to dying when God wants our heart to stop, why should there be no respect during the childhood???

I plead with you to reconsider.

Ingela

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:16 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Ingela,

I agree with you that there are many different ways of disciplining children other than spanking.

In Scripture it says "spare the rod and spoil the child". I understand that to mean the rod of discipline, not the rod of spanking.

Although, if I saw my small child venture into the street, I would run after him and give him one swat on the backside to bring to his attention not to do that because mom does not want to see you get hurt!