Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 3   [ 60 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Introduction Johnlove
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:13 pm 
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Jon Snow wrote:
Johnlove wrote:
TreeBeard wrote:
What denomination, or individual Christian congregation are you a part of?

I belong to no denominational church. I meet at home with others.

And you don't even see the obvious self-contradiction.

But wait! He also said in another thread:

Johnlove wrote:
Do you know that living God’s Word means one can’t be a disciple of Jesus unless he or she give up all his or her possessions?

So by his own definition, he is not "living God's Word" because, by his own admission, he has a home.

Can't wait to see how he squirms his way out of that one. :popcorn :popcorn :popcorn

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:21 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Johnlove wrote:
Jon Snow wrote:
Me thinks that yours is spirit of Peter Waldo, not St. Francis.
How you think does not make it true.

The fact that you haven't given me much evidence to think otherwise and your evasiveness does.

Johnloving wrote:
All I am trying to do is bring the Church to what it was before Constantine the Great.

Quote:
Do I really need to cite verbatim St. Cyprian's documents on the Unity of the Church and the Primacy of the Pope?
Does what some person say about a pope make it the truth?[/quote]

(Sigh)
The point is that St. Cyprian was the bishop of Carthage before Constantine. I would think that if you taught about the Church that you should have known this.

Johnloving wrote:
If given the chance I will explain what needs to be done to bring the Church back to where it was led by the Holy Spirit.
What damage can I do if what is shared by me is wrong?

Quote:
That's all you've been given is chances and you haven't really said anything.
[/quote]Bishops are supposed to be apostles is that not right? Apostles walked in the gifts of the Holy Spirit. When is the last time a bishop has brought back to life someone who has died?[/quote]

Bishops are the successors of the Apostles, not the Apostles themselves.

Timothy and Titus were bishops, show me from Scripture where they brought back to life someone who had died?

Following your own criteria, where's the proof that you brought back to life someone who has died?

Johnloving wrote:
What bishop truly walks in any of the gifts of the Holy Spirit?

Many and more. Who are you to judge that they don't?

"End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it. White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:25 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus, SVdP
Johnlove wrote:
Jon Snow wrote:
Johnlove wrote:
Ancient Oracle wrote:
It is sometimes easier to make a tactical withdrawal, and say sorry, then to defend a hopeless position.

Look my job is to give a word. I want so badly for the Church to be what the Apostles had it to be.
Jesus told Francis of Assisi to rebuild his church, and he received so much opposition that Jesus had him stop fighting.

Opposition from who? There's a reason why the Franciscans exist while the Waldensians do not.

Quote:

Johnloving wrote:
All I am trying to do is bring the Church to what it was before Constantine the Great.

Quote:
Do I really need to cite verbatim St. Cyprian's documents on the Unity of the Church and the Primacy of the Pope?
Does what some person say about a pope make it the truth?
Johnloving wrote:
If given the chance I will explain what needs to be done to bring the Church back to where it was led by the Holy Spirit.

Quote:
Bishops are supposed to be apostles is that not right? Apostles walked in the gifts of the Holy Spirit. When is the last time a bishop has brought back to life someone who has died?

And you have?
You cross the line when you put yourself in the position of judge over the Bishops.

Beware the punishment in store for false prophets! 2 Peter 2

It is true that all roads to success are under construction. It is easy to say because, in this city, all roads are under construction. The real surprise is that success lies not in the road, but in the destination. If you don't go to heaven, your life is a failure!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:43 pm 

Religion: Early Christian
Church Affiliations: Home Church
Ancient Oracle wrote:
Johnlove wrote:
Jon Snow wrote:
Johnlove wrote:
Ancient Oracle wrote:
It is sometimes easier to make a tactical withdrawal, and say sorry, then to defend a hopeless position.

Look my job is to give a word. I want so badly for the Church to be what the Apostles had it to be.
Jesus told Francis of Assisi to rebuild his church, and he received so much opposition that Jesus had him stop fighting.

Opposition from who? There's a reason why the Franciscans exist while the Waldensians do not.

Quote:

Johnloving wrote:

Quote:
Does what some person say about a pope make it the truth?
Johnloving wrote:

Quote:
Bishops are supposed to be apostles is that not right? Apostles walked in the gifts of the Holy Spirit. When is the last time a bishop has brought back to life someone who has died?

And you have?
You cross the line when you put yourself in the position of judge over the Bishops.

Beware the punishment in store for false prophets! 2 Peter 2

So you already judge me to be a false prophet? Is asking if Catholic Bishops walk in the gifts of an apostle judging them?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:58 pm 

Jon Snow wrote:
Johnlove wrote:
TreeBeard wrote:

Contradiction is that so?
(Matthew 18:20) “For where two or three meet in my name, I shall be there with them.”

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:31 pm 

I noticed you've heretofore ignored your self-contradiction I'd pointed out earlier. I await your response on that one too.

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:56 pm 

Future Mrs. Timmy wrote:
I noticed you've heretofore ignored your self-contradiction I'd pointed out earlier. I await your response on that one too.

I don’t know how to respond nicely to what seems to be a straw man argument. So it is better to say nothing then not be nice.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:07 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus, SVdP
I pointed out scripture to you. That is not judgement. That said, you have not addressed your judgement of the Bishops, nor answered the question if you have raised someone from the dead?

It is true that all roads to success are under construction. It is easy to say because, in this city, all roads are under construction. The real surprise is that success lies not in the road, but in the destination. If you don't go to heaven, your life is a failure!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:18 pm 

[quote="Ancient Oracle"
Quote:
]I pointed out scripture to you
.I must have missed the scripture quote, why don’t you try again? That is not judgement. That said,
Quote:
you have not addressed your judgement of the Bishops,
[b]I am not the brightest person on the block, so will show me how I judged the bishops?
Quote:
nor answered the question if you have raised someone from the dead?[
/b][/quote]I must have missed that question.
Did I say that the Holy Spirit gave me the gift of an apostle?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:22 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Johnlove wrote:
Jon Snow wrote:
Johnlove wrote:
TreeBeard wrote:

Contradiction is that so?
(Matthew 18:20) “For where two or three meet in my name, I shall be there with them.”

Jesus said that in reference to those who are actually IN His Body, the Church.

You abandoned that grace when you abandoned the Church.

You have no authority, nor do you have any right to our Holy Scriptures, to vainly use them to assert whatever you want them to.

The more you post, the more that you confirm my original presupposition.

"End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it. White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:26 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Johnlove wrote:
Did I say that the Holy Spirit gave me the gift of an apostle?

You claim that Jesus supposedly sent you.

An Apostle, by definition, means "one who is sent."

If you do not have the gifts that the Apostles have, then you are nothing but a false apostle or a false prophet preaching a false gospel.

Gal 1:8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to that which we preached to you, let him be accursed.

Last edited by Gandalf the Grey on Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:32 pm 

Johnlove wrote:
Future Mrs. Timmy wrote:

I don’t know how to respond nicely to what seems to be a straw man argument. So it is better to say nothing then not be nice.

It's not a straw man. I've pointed out where your own assertions about yourself are in contradiction to your statements regarding the actions of a believer in Christ. You appear to have defeated your own argument, and for me to ask for clarification is about as far from a straw man argument as anything can be. On the contrary, your refusal to address this issue is something likely to bring forth the ire of the moderators.

And don't worry about "playing nice" with me. I'm in a career field that demands a thick skin. Whatever you dish out, I guarantee is not nearly as harsh as what I deal with in my line of work. Even that is rainbows and unicorns compared to the football smack chat room I go to to "get down and dirty." :mrgreen:

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:39 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

His self-contradiction is that he is a schismatic who has apparently started his own denomination outside of the church preaching a different gospel based upon his own particular brand of "christianity" while claiming not to be a denomination.

Apparently he's too hardened to see this.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:44 pm 

It's sad, Jon, really. I'd would debate him, but he's already defeated himself. This kind of contest is so easy that it isn't even sporting.

There's no fun at all in getting into a battle of wits with an unarmed person. :(

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:31 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Future Mrs. Timmy wrote:
It's sad, Jon, really. I'd would debate him, but he's already defeated himself. This kind of contest is so easy that it isn't even sporting.

There's no fun at all in getting into a battle of wits with an unarmed person. :(

I rather compare it to picking off cans at about 150 yds. You don't need the hardest challenges all the time, sometimes it's good to just go back to the cans just to solidify your fundamentals.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:45 pm 

Jon Snow wrote:
Future Mrs. Timmy wrote:

I rather compare it to picking off cans at about 150 yds. You don't need the hardest challenges all the time, sometimes it's good to just go back to the cans just to solidify your fundamentals.

There's a difference between plinking and a cupcake match, Jon. Yes, plinking is fun and can fine-tune the fundamentals. Cupcake contests you can do in your sleep. There's no benefit to them at all.

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:51 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Future Mrs. Timmy wrote:
Jon Snow wrote:
Future Mrs. Timmy wrote:

There's a difference between plinking and a cupcake match, Jon. Yes, plinking is fun and can fine-tune the fundamentals. Cupcake contests you can do in your sleep. There's no benefit to them at all.

I don't know what you're talking about.

Cupcakes are always fun.

mmmmmmm.....cupcakes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:52 pm 

Ok, ok...point made. ::):

When'd you let Fr. Kenobi get your login, anyway? :D

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:01 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Future Mrs. Timmy wrote:
Ok, ok...point made. ::):

When'd you let Fr. Kenobi get your login, anyway? :D

He must have used the force.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:09 pm 

Y'know, that actually IS a plausible explanation. Well played, Jon Snow, well played. :salut:

Commit to the Image

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 3   [ 60 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3