Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hello all
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:13 am 

Religion: Anglican
Hello all. I am currently a member of the Church of England but have recently felt a pull and interest towards the Catholic Church. For the record I'm twenty years old. I recently posted elsewhere online about my troubles. Whilst I feel a pull to the Church I also feel it hard to reconcile a number of my liberal beliefs with Catholicism. I recently regained a lot of lost faith which has reignited my interest. In addition I've read and am reading a lot of Catholic novels so this has got me interested.

I feel very confused. I feel this draw but I can't reconcile my longstanding, inner beliefs with much of the current Catholic dogma. Someone suggested I join this forum and post my questions here so that's what I plan to do. Just saying hello and hoping you guys will help clear some things up.

:wave

Post subject: Re: Hello all
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:24 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
Welcome!
Check out Catholicism 101 and the Lyceum. Great places to ask questions!

We must neither doubt nor hesitate with respect to the words of the Lord; rather, we must be fully persuaded that every word of God is true and possible, even if our nature should rebel against the idea-for in this lies the test of faith.
St. Basil the Great

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:28 am 
Eminent
Eminent

Welcome to DCF!

Vietnamese - Mother's Heart Will Conquer.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:51 am 
Corporate Minion Moderator
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
By all means, you've come to the right place. I'm hoping that Obi-Wan Kenobi sees this - he's a Catholic priest who converted from the Episcopal church (the American branch of Anglicanism). We also have a long-time regular poster who is Anglican himself and is very knowledgeable. He's well-respected by just about everyone.

As someone who often finds "Catholic activism" to the left of my political leanings, let me advise you to be of an open mind. Much of what people get told about Catholic beliefs is, at best, errant. Some of what is commonly believed by the secular world to be "dogma" is in fact, either born of ignorance or an out-and-out fallacy perpetuated by those with an axe to grind. In all honesty, there are very few actual dogmas in the Catholic faith, and I can't off the top of my head think of a single one that is "political" in nature. In truth, while Catholics are encouraged to be involved in politics (to vote, to promote policies in line with Church teaching, to oppose inherent evils such as abortion), there is not (at least in the US) a "Catholic" political party. You will find people here all along the political spectrum - one of my best friends here is as hard left on every political issue (except abortion, which she opposes) as I am hard right. She voices her opinion; I voice mine, but we love each other dearly as sisters in the faith.

The place for your questions here at DCF is Catholicism 101. Make as many posts as you like, but only one question per post, please. It's easier to get clear, concise answers that way. And, by all means, welcome! :wave

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:40 am 

Welcome!

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:05 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Welcome to DCF!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:43 am 

Religion: Anglican
Thank you all for your welcomes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:12 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
Welcome. :wave

- I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

- I remember a lot of things. (Some of which actually happened.)

- Even the best of men may be born in times unsuited to their virtues.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:50 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Welcome Aboard!! :salut:

“The next time something bad happens to you through no fault of your own, and you are about to complain to God, ‘I didn’t deserve that,’ look at a crucifix and say those same words to Him: ‘I didn’t deserve that.’ It gives you a sense of perspective.” Dr. Peter Kreeft