Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 28 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: gherkin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:26 pm 
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
Riverboat wrote:
gherkin wrote:
3. Let it Be

Which version? I definitely prefer the one with George's guitar solo.

I dunno. It's been a long time since I actually listened to it, and I'm not remembering how I usually would have heard it. I mean, I just had the Let it Be record, so whatever was on that, I guess.

Post subject: Re: gherkin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111(beatles fans...come one and a
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:47 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
faithfulservant wrote:
been wondering where you were... thought you'd be a taker from the get-go

Who, me? I haven't been here a few days. I'm astounded I almost overlooked this.

About that link rating the songs - I quit reading when I reached #185 - "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite," in my estimation one of the very greatest. The idea is simplicity itself, with all the lyrics cribbed from a circus poster. The music sets the stage for the words. One of my children won't listen to it because it's "scary." He's right, of course. Isn't that a feature of circuses and midways? Even the horses on a merry-go-round have vicious features. Remember the Zoltar fortune-teller machine in the movie Big? Circuses and midways are all about the thrill!

And this song does it all. It evokes the magic and other-worldly atmosphere. I especially like how the jumbled-up tapes near the end inadvertently provide a snippet of a counter-melody (2:16). Lennon's vocals have an eerie almost-echo, like a circus barker announcing through a microphone to the audience. Heck, even Ringo comes through with a pair of drum rolls which he famously sucked at.

This guy is just full of beans. Exhibit A: Dead last is "Good Day Sunshine,' a pleasant little ditty after the fashion of the Lovin' Spoonful's "Daydream." Ahead of that is "Dig It." Are you kidding? It's not even a whole song! And "Wild Honey Pie" is ahead of "I'll Get You" (one of my top faves) and "I'm Happy Just to Dance With You"? The last straw for credibility is putting "Revolution 9" anywhere on this list. And yet here's this pastiche of noise, ahead of "I've Just Seen a Face," "I'll Follow the Sun," "Don't Bother Me" and "Words of Love." Putting "9" in this list at #114 is just criminal.

The writer's name is Bill Wyman. No, not that Bill Wyman. Surely, he would have known better than this.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:16 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
the thread wasn't about this guy's ranking of beatles songs (though i have no idea if it was his list alone or if it was influenced by voting) , it basically came down to which 10 beatles songs could you not live without , if you could only have those 10 to listen to

so you have my list here and gherkin's list follows.... where is yours 8-) :wave ?

1. Let It Be
2. Hey Jude
3. A Day In The Life
4. Norwegian Wood
5. Strawberry Fields Forever
6. Come Together
7. Long and Winding Road
8. If I Fell
9. Eleanor Rigby
10. Sgt Pepper

1. Hey Jude
2. Let it Be
3. Yesterday
4. In My Life
5. Paperback Writer
6. Please Please Me
7. Can't Buy Me Love
8. Get Back
9. She Loves You
10. Hard Day's Night

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:26 am 

You abridged my top ten list! You left just ten songs on it! :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad:

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 10:13 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
:laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard literally.... no really!!!! :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard

if that was not a correct numerical list...then i apologize...since we both had the same top two, i have a feeling it was :yes: so unless there was a tie which you originally did not designate, then i, as the asker of the question, reserve the right to limit your top 10 choices to 10 :fyi: :soap:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:47 am 

:verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad:

You can't do just ten!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 OK, they're a twelve-way tie for my top ten list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:46 pm 

I might have to put A Day in the Life in there instead of Twist and Shout. Or Hard Day's Night. Or something.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:48 pm 

Regarding the question in the OP, I think I would have to agree on Rita being pretty high on the list. It's a pretty great tune. Love the bass. I tend to undervalue the individual songs on Sgt. Pepper, I think, because I view it as a whole, and pulling bits out doesn't seem right. But Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds might could go on one of my top three lists, now that I think about it a bit more. Rita would never go that high, but I could see it falling in the 70's or something, yeah.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 28 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2