Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 3   [ 60 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: War veterans?
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:13 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
What does that last sentence mean?

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:40 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: SSVdP
There is a public holidays to remember veterans but not for religious feasts - in the USA.

Australia has both - good friday, easter monday + christmas day as well as Anzac day.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 7:09 am 
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
henrik.hank wrote:
That is exactly what I am saying!
But I guess USA is a war country. Wars mean a lot to USA. I guess you cannot sepetate American culture and wars.
I do not mean to be dissrespectful. Sweden sends (or actually sells) weapons and airplanes to countries so that they cam have their wars.

It is true. For example, we fought against the Nazis, while the Swedes helped them out. Thank heavens for peaceful countries like Sweden.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:09 am 
There Can Be Only One

Religion: Catholic
henrik.hank wrote:
Jack3 wrote:
Highlander wrote:
I don't know how to begin to answer the question. Let me look at the implication here.

Veterans, no matter the sacrifice made for their country, no matter the cost to their minds and their bodies, no matter the cost to their families, no matter the lives ended before fully begun, no matter the relationships torn apart ... all which have resulted in the privileged life I live now and the security of my family ... should be seen as no different than anybody who has lived a narcissistic and self-centered life. Over a period of two years, my family witnessed the lives of wounded veterans in a medical venue -- we know what those men and women sacrificed because we saw it every day.

That seems to be what you are saying.

Perhaps the OP's point is that various other professions also involve dedication and commitment.

But I guess USA is a war country. Wars mean a lot to USA. I guess you cannot sepetate American culture and wars.
I do not mean to be dissrespectful. Sweden sends (or actually sells) weapons and airplanes to countries so that they cam have their wars.

After considering the language issue, I calmed down. And I accept your statement of not meaning to be disrespectful. I suppose your opinion of the USA is common among various European groups; at least the media report it to be so.

Thank God my ancestors left Europe for the United States. In fact, my wife's mother came from a town named Stromsburg, Nebraska. It calls itself the Swedish capitol of the State. It was founded by Swedish immigrants in the 18th century, and the town cemetery had almost exclusively Swedish names until about 1960. In the hallway of the little high school are photos of the graduates, in uniform, who entered the military. They were honored from the moment they entered the military. In the same hallway is a plaque listing the names of the graduates that were in the military in WWII. One of those names is my late mother-in-law's, who was in the Navy (who talked about being a minority with a name like Phillips). When my father-in-law, a Navy veteran of WWII, was buried in the town cemetery, the local American Legion color guard was there, as was a trumpet player from the high school band to play "Taps". Stromsburg honors its veterans.

My mother-in-law told of, while in the one-room elementary school, a strapping Swedish 18-year old, speaking no English, sitting down with the 1st graders. He had just come off the boat to live with a relative in Stomsburg. He completed high school by age 22. Seems that he would have had to pay for school in Sweden, but it was free in the US -- and he was going to take advantage of that opportunity. The United States was built by that kind of person.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

Last edited by Highlander on Wed May 27, 2020 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:14 am 
There Can Be Only One

gherkin wrote:
henrik.hank wrote:

It is true. For example, we fought against the Nazis, while the Swedes helped them out. Thank heavens for peaceful countries like Sweden.
I was going to point that out, but deferred. Good on you.

HST, thank Almighty God for Raoul Wallenberg. Did you know that, in 1981, he became the second of a total of just seven people to be named honorary citizens of the United States? So, maybe, he is a sort of immigrant as well.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:25 am 

Highlander wrote:
gherkin wrote:
henrik.hank wrote:

It was going to be my first reply in this thread, but I thought it would be rude to mention it. But when it turned out this guy is just trolling us, I figured it was maybe worth mentioning since most Americans are unaware of this bit of history.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:31 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
I thought Sweden was neutral and made concessions for both sides.

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:36 am 
There Can Be Only One

gherkin wrote:
Highlander wrote:
gherkin wrote:
henrik.hank wrote:

It was going to be my first reply in this thread, but I thought it would be rude to mention it. But when it turned out this guy is just trolling us, I figured it was maybe worth mentioning since most Americans are unaware of this bit of history.
He may be a troll and he may just not be proficient in English, but he did allow me to examine why my reaction to that post was so strong. And to ruminate on why we honor our dead on Memorial Day.

Yes, the Swedish collaboration with Nazi Germany is not, I suppose, a highlighted item in their national history. Swedish neutrality is a tricky topic.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:37 am 

Jack3 wrote:

"Made concessions" is a nice way to say it, but note the timeframes of those concessions and see if you can spot a pattern.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:42 am 
There Can Be Only One

gherkin wrote:
Jack3 wrote:

"Made concessions" is a nice way to say it, but note the timeframes of those concessions and see if you can spot a pattern.
If you replace "...made concessions for..." with "...made profits from...", then you're on the right track. If you, then, compare the profits from Nazi Germany with other profits, you might spot which side Sweden's bread was buttered on.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 10:40 am 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Btw, henrik.hank, I have deactivated your previous account (ingenting). It would have been polite to let us know you have posted here before.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:10 am 

Religion: Christian
Why do you get upset?
What did I do?
I simply pointed out the fact that many countries, eg USA talk alot about war veterans as if they are more special than any other people. I just want to know why. This is all.
Also, I pointed out the fact that USA has a history with lots of wars. This makes war veterans special to Americans.
USA.
Why is veterans day a federal holiday when the Ascension isn't?

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:12 am 
There Can Be Only One

To your second question, we don't have a State religion. I believe that Sweden is Lutheran by law. Correct?

As to the first, you called the US a war country. You did not say it was a country that was involved in many wars. There is a difference. Finally, veterans are more special than other people. Because they risked more than the average citizen. And some who risked, died. For us. The common denominator is service to the people of the country, not wealth, or intelligence, or achievement, or recognition, or political office, or social class. I believe that some here have already answered your question. Several times. Some here have been touched by war. It is a touch that lasts for life

If you are serious, and I don't know that you are, you might watch "Saving Private Ryan" for a small appreciation of why we honor our dead on Veterans Day.

Nuff said.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:33 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Highlander wrote:
To your second question, we don't have a State religion. I believe that Sweden is Lutheran by law. Correct?

As to the first, you called the US a war country. You did not say it was a country that was involved in many wars. There is a difference. Finally, veterans are more special than other people. Because they risked more than the average citizen. And some who risked, died. For us. The common denominator is service to the people of the country, not wealth, or intelligence, or achievement, or recognition, or political office, or social class. I believe that some here have already answered your question. Several times. Some here have been touched by war. It is a touch that lasts for life

If you are serious, and I don't know that you are, you might watch "Saving Private Ryan" for a small appreciation of why we honor our dead on Veterans Day.

Nuff said.

For now. And well said.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:13 am 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
We attained and have maintained freedom and peace through war. Those who received such through happy accident might have difficulty seeing the value in remembering those who gave it to us.

- Justice Scalia, dissent, King v. Burwell.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:10 am 
Jr. Wazzooship-Winning Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
henrik.hank wrote:
Doom wrote:
Memorial Day dates back to the Civil War, it was originally known as "Decoration Day" because it was the day that one decorated the graves of those who died in the war. This is a uniquely American holiday.

However, Veterans Day was originally called Armistice Day because it was the anniversary of the signing of the Armistice that ended the First World Day. This is not an American holiday, it is an international holiday. I believe that in the UK it is called Rememberance Day. November 11 is observed as a holiday in many countries.

Given that literally tens of millions of people were killed in the war, a and countless others who survived nevertheless had their lives destroyed by the war, it is, I think, important to remember these events if only because those who do not learn from history are destined to repeat it.

I think the difference is: in Sweden you get a day off (röd dag) from work on religious days. In other countries memorial day and veterans day are more important. Not that I can see how veterans day is more important that the Ascension.

If the world’s nations were Catholic theocracies, it might well not be. But they aren’t. :fyi:

As both an American Catholic and a Veteran from a line of Veterans that dates back to the colonial era, first, I must thank the responders above for being far more charitable in dealing with the unmitigated gall of the OP’s implications than I ever could have been. Second, (and this might have been said before, but the limitations of my temper will not allow me to reread) I strongly urge the OP to consider that he would not have been able to pose his question if it weren’t for the approximately 18.5 million allied troops who sacrificed their lives in WWII* (including some 400K Americans) while Sweden stood behind the cloak of neutrality. How long do you REALLY think y’all would have stayed neutral after the war had the Nazis won?

*source: https://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/w ... d-war-two/

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:19 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: High Church Lutheran
Church Affiliations: Church of Norway
henrik.hank wrote:
Closet Catholic wrote:
henrik.hank wrote:
Why do you Americans (or people from any country) care so much about war vetetans? Why are they so special in your culture?
I am Swedish and I do not see war veterans as more special than other people. We do not have a Memorial Day.
While you may not have Memorial Day, you have a Veterans Day. In fact, it's in three days.

https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veterandagen
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veterans_Day_(Sweden)

Well, perhaps we have this day but it is not something most Swedes even know about.
It took me thirty seconds to find it by googling.

“Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt.” — Paul Tillich

http://katolikken.wordpress.com/
English texts: http://katolikken.wordpress.com/tag/english-texts-2/

https://twitter.com/kkringlebotten

http://www.facebook.com/kjetilkringlebotten

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:10 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Mrs. Timmy wrote:
henrik.hank wrote:
Doom wrote:
Memorial Day dates back to the Civil War, it was originally known as "Decoration Day" because it was the day that one decorated the graves of those who died in the war. This is a uniquely American holiday.

However, Veterans Day was originally called Armistice Day because it was the anniversary of the signing of the Armistice that ended the First World Day. This is not an American holiday, it is an international holiday. I believe that in the UK it is called Rememberance Day. November 11 is observed as a holiday in many countries.

Given that literally tens of millions of people were killed in the war, a and countless others who survived nevertheless had their lives destroyed by the war, it is, I think, important to remember these events if only because those who do not learn from history are destined to repeat it.

I think the difference is: in Sweden you get a day off (röd dag) from work on religious days. In other countries memorial day and veterans day are more important. Not that I can see how veterans day is more important that the Ascension.

If the world’s nations were Catholic theocracies, it might well not be. But they aren’t. :fyi:

As both an American Catholic and a Veteran from a line of Veterans that dates back to the colonial era, first, I must thank the responders above for being far more charitable in dealing with the unmitigated gall of the OP’s implications than I ever could have been. Second, (and this might have been said before, but the limitations of my temper will not allow me to reread) I strongly urge the OP to consider that he would not have been able to pose his question if it weren’t for the approximately 18.5 million allied troops who sacrificed their lives in WWII* (including some 400K Americans) while Sweden stood behind the cloak of neutrality. How long do you REALLY think y’all would have stayed neutral after the war had the Nazis won?

*source: https://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/w ... d-war-two/

:salut:

Others have said it for me.

I'm glad. I tend to get emotional with this sort of blinkeredness.

OTOH, the Bofors 40 mm was a fine gun.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:09 pm 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
If it weren't for the military might of the free nations of the world(largely, but certainly not exclusively the U.S. military), the entire world would currently be subjugated under totalitarian communist regimes. They still want to take over...

- Justice Scalia, dissent, King v. Burwell.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 3:45 pm 

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
[quote="Highlander”]If you are serious, and I don't know that you are, you might watch "Saving Private Ryan" for a small appreciation of why we honor our dead on Veterans Memorial Day.[/quote]
FTFY :wave

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 3   [ 60 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next