Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 3   [ 60 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: War veterans?
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:54 am 

Religion: Christian
Why do you Americans (or people from any country) care so much about war vetetans? Why are they so special in your culture?
I am Swedish and I do not see war veterans as more special than other people. We do not have a Memorial Day.

Post subject: Re: War veterans?
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:11 am 
Grand WaZOOM college bowl game picker.
Grand WaZOOM college bowl game picker.

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus 4th Degree
First point of order is that Memorial Day is for those who have died in the line of duty.

Veterans' Day (for living veterans) is in November.

I'll defer to the veterans on this board for a fuller explanation of why we do it.

For you love all things that are, and hate none of the things which you have made: for you did not appoint, or make anything hating it. Wisdom 11:25

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:19 am 
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
https://www.crisismagazine.com/2020/gre ... -than-this

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:22 am 
There Can Be Only One

I don't know how to begin to answer the question. Let me look at the implication here.

Veterans, no matter the sacrifice made for their country, no matter the cost to their minds and their bodies, no matter the cost to their families, no matter the lives ended before fully begun, no matter the relationships torn apart ... all which have resulted in the privileged life I live now and the security of my family ... should be seen as no different than anybody who has lived a narcissistic and self-centered life. Over a period of two years, my family witnessed the lives of wounded veterans in a medical venue -- we know what those men and women sacrificed because we saw it every day.

That seems to be what you are saying. If so, and no matter how the rest of the world belittles the US, I am so very, very glad that I do not live in the society that you present.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:29 am 
There Can Be Only One

Here's part of a post, at another locations, made by a family member:
Quote:
"A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself." - Joseph Campbell
1LT David Bernstein - October 18, 2003
2LT Leonard Cowherd III - May 16, 2004
CPT Humayun Khan - June 8, 2004
1LT Laura Walker - August 18, 2005
1LT Derek Hines - September 1, 2005
1LT Dennis Zilinski II - November 19, 2005
1LT Scott Love - June 7, 2006
SGT Reyes Ramirez - June 17, 2006
SPC Robert Jones - June 17, 2006
CPL Ryan Clark - June 29, 2006
CPT Rhett Schiller - November 16, 2006
MAJ Michael Donahue - September 16, 2014
Also remembering
MAJ Kyle Petroskey - April 02, 2015

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:12 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
Highlander wrote:
I don't know how to begin to answer the question. Let me look at the implication here.

Veterans, no matter the sacrifice made for their country, no matter the cost to their minds and their bodies, no matter the cost to their families, no matter the lives ended before fully begun, no matter the relationships torn apart ... all which have resulted in the privileged life I live now and the security of my family ... should be seen as no different than anybody who has lived a narcissistic and self-centered life. Over a period of two years, my family witnessed the lives of wounded veterans in a medical venue -- we know what those men and women sacrificed because we saw it every day.

That seems to be what you are saying.

Perhaps the OP's point is that various other professions also involve dedication and commitment.

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:17 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Do they involve dying a violent death?

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 1:24 pm 
There Can Be Only One

Jack3 wrote:
Highlander wrote:

Perhaps the OP's point is that various other professions also involve dedication and commitment.

Then, crediting the OP with lack of knowledge on the topic he has raised, dedication and commitment have nothing to do with it. Consequences have everything to do with it. Consequences which are not limited to the warrior, but extend to all those in and around his life.

Some years ago, perhaps on a day like today, in an airport, a business compatriot, a combat vet, became engaged in a conversation about heroes with a woman, whom I judged as a Boomer and, at least, a pseudo-hippie. She opined, earnestly and indignantly, that community activists and protestors and champions of progressive change should be given the same respect, recognition, and rewards as military veterans -- such as the GI Bill. She also asserted that such SJW's (a term not in use then) deserved more recognition because what they did was more positive and of greater social value. And she concluded that honoring our vets, dead or alive, was inimical to our society and our values, since it detracted attention from true heroes and important issues.

I have no idea how she so misjudged us. I got the impression that she was talking to herself more than us and that the depth of her position was an ability to drop memes. I had to pry him, figuratively, off her. She was indignant that he didn't agree with her and that he did not respectfully examine her assertions. How dare he! I kept my silence, as I did not trust myself to engage with her.

Later, I saw Code Pink, up close and in action, welcoming wounded soldiers and Marines, some dying, back home with vitriol and malice. Thus, on Memorial Day and Veterans Day, I honor our military vets, dead and alive. They earned my automatic respect and my thanks. Others, no matter how dedicated committed, have not.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:08 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Highlander wrote:

That seems to be what you are saying. If so, and no matter how the rest of the world belittles the US, I am so very, very glad that I do not live in the society that you present.

Yes.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:25 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

My husband is a veteran of the Iraq wars. He risked his life for his family, and his country. He was pinned down by sniper fire, with no weapon, for over an hour -- among other things, some of which he won't tell me. Patriotism seems to be lacking in some other countries, honor, as well. I can't respect people with that kind of indifference for the freedoms they enjoy. I can't respect people who do nothing to protect themselves, but when threatened they expect, and demand, that other countries come to their aid. They don't think about what sacrifices military families make, all they care about is their own little insulated world. Sorry, but people like that make me sick to my stomach.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:25 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
Jack3 wrote:
Highlander wrote:

I was trying to do some steel-manning and the principle of charity.

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:24 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: SSVdP
In Australia there was strong remembering and honouring of veterans of WW1 & WW2 until the 1970s.
Then because of the Vietnam war there was great hostility or indifference.

Since the 1980s there has been a great upsurge of the honouring of Veterans - in Australia on ANZAC day on April 25 - irrespective of which war they were involved with - we remember their sacrifice.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:48 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

aussie_aussie_oi_oi wrote:
In Australia there was strong remembering and honouring of veterans of WW1 & WW2 until the 1970s.

Since the 1980s there has been a great upsurge of the honouring of Veterans - in Australia on ANZAC day on April 25 - irrespective of which war they were involved with - we remember their sacrifice.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:50 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Memorial Day dates back to the Civil War, it was originally known as "Decoration Day" because it was the day that one decorated the graves of those who died in the war. This is a uniquely American holiday.

However, Veterans Day was originally called Armistice Day because it was the anniversary of the signing of the Armistice that ended the First World Day. This is not an American holiday, it is an international holiday. I believe that in the UK it is called Rememberance Day. November 11 is observed as a holiday in many countries.

Given that literally tens of millions of people were killed in the war, a and countless others who survived nevertheless had their lives destroyed by the war, it is, I think, important to remember these events if only because those who do not learn from history are destined to repeat it.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:16 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: High Church Lutheran
Church Affiliations: Church of Norway
henrik.hank wrote:
Why do you Americans (or people from any country) care so much about war vetetans? Why are they so special in your culture?
I am Swedish and I do not see war veterans as more special than other people. We do not have a Memorial Day.
While you may not have Memorial Day, you have a Veterans Day. In fact, it's in three days.

https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veterandagen
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veterans_Day_(Sweden)

“Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt.” — Paul Tillich

http://katolikken.wordpress.com/
English texts: http://katolikken.wordpress.com/tag/english-texts-2/

https://twitter.com/kkringlebotten

http://www.facebook.com/kjetilkringlebotten

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 8:53 am 
There Can Be Only One

Upon reflection, when was the last time Sweden was in a war?

Last one was a war against Norwegian independence in 1814. Sweden has had minor involvement with various peacekeeping efforts. As of February, some 360 Swedish military personnel served in more than twenty countries, primarily involving providing support to security efforts. Some missions involve a few observers or advisers, while others involve hundreds. Five Swedes have been killed in Afghanistan and 13 have been wounded.

So, there are not many Swedish veterans. Whereas, in North America, the rest of Europe, and most of Asia, there are. It is not surprising that the OP would not be exposed to the sacrifices and experiences of veterans. Must be nice.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

Last edited by Highlander on Tue May 26, 2020 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:04 am 
There Can Be Only One

aussie_aussie_oi_oi wrote:

We remember the Aussies. And the Kiwis. And I've seen the ANZAC Memorial, albeit from across the Dardanelles. I apologize for the manner in which MacArthur dealt with both. Good men, all.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 4:40 am 

Jack3 wrote:
Highlander wrote:

That is exactly what I am saying!
But I guess USA is a war country. Wars mean a lot to USA. I guess you cannot sepetate American culture and wars.
I do not mean to be dissrespectful. Sweden sends (or actually sells) weapons and airplanes to countries so that they cam have their wars.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 4:43 am 

Closet Catholic wrote:
henrik.hank wrote:
While you may not have Memorial Day, you have a Veterans Day. In fact, it's in three days.

https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veterandagen
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veterans_Day_(Sweden)

Well, perhaps we have this day but it is not something most Swedes even know about.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 4:47 am 

Doom wrote:
Memorial Day dates back to the Civil War, it was originally known as "Decoration Day" because it was the day that one decorated the graves of those who died in the war. This is a uniquely American holiday.

However, Veterans Day was originally called Armistice Day because it was the anniversary of the signing of the Armistice that ended the First World Day. This is not an American holiday, it is an international holiday. I believe that in the UK it is called Rememberance Day. November 11 is observed as a holiday in many countries.

Given that literally tens of millions of people were killed in the war, a and countless others who survived nevertheless had their lives destroyed by the war, it is, I think, important to remember these events if only because those who do not learn from history are destined to repeat it.

I think the difference is: in Sweden you get a day off (röd dag) from work on religious days. In other countries memorial day and veterans day are more important. Not that I can see how veterans day is more important that the Ascension.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 3   [ 60 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next