Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Historian Barbara Tuchman
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:29 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Eorlingean Catholic
Church Affiliations: KC
Anyone familiar with her? I don't remember now who or in what context she was recommended to me, other than that her book "A Distant Mirror" addressing the collapse of the Church and society coming out of the Middle Ages (Avignon Papacy, plagues, widespread corruption in the high clergy, materialism in the wealthy, debauched nobles, collapse of the structure of economics, etc..) had at it's root much of what we're experiencing today.

Anyway, I am not sure but I feel like I'm getting some anti-Catholic bias in the book. She was Jewish. Shouldn't be here or there, but sometimes one's religion/culture matters in how one reads history.

Familiar with her, anyone??

Twitter: @blueyedmule

Post subject: Re: Historian Barbara Tuchman
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:14 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
I own one of her books - The Guns of August - about the Great War.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:10 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

I've read GUNS OF AUGUST, maybe a couple of others. Most prominently, I've read her STILWELL AND THE AMERICAN EXPERIENCE IN CHINA, which is, basically, the American attitude toward the subject. Though recently, revisionist writers (Frank, Mitter) are appearing.

I don't worry a lot about bias. I read in breadth and depth, and the bias (if any) gets isolated and discounted in the big picture. Got one in the reading lineup now, which addresses one of my primary subjects, and appears to be full of bushwa, on the face of it. But I bought it.

Point being: read sufficiently to both spot and counter any bias. And not all points of difference are bias.

Of course, that attitude is a crusade of mine, not shared by all.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:14 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Look! It's a windmill!

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:18 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Look! It's a windmill!

Windmills are among my favorite subjects. One needs to read about them,360 degrees, so to speak. As one needs to delve deeply into the subject of mines and tunnels. And cover light houses from top to bottom.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:14 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
but if you covered the lighthouse, it would be rendered worthless... a beacon to no one :fyi: 8-)

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:21 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

faithfulservant wrote:
but if you covered the lighthouse, it would be rendered worthless... a beacon to no one :fyi: 8-)

I'll clean up, afterwards.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:33 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
GKC wrote:
I've read GUNS OF AUGUST, maybe a couple of others. Most prominently, I've read her STILWELL AND THE AMERICAN EXPERIENCE IN CHINA, which is, basically, the American attitude toward the subject. Though recently, revisionist writers (Frank, Mitter) are appearing.

I don't worry a lot about bias. I read in breadth and depth, and the bias (if any) gets isolated and discounted in the big picture. Got one in the reading lineup now, which addresses one of my primary subjects, and appears to be full of bushwa, on the face of it. But I bought it.

Point being: read sufficiently to both spot and counter any bias. And not all points of difference are bias.

I find that for the big historical topics, it is good to read many books from many different points of view.

If you read a book about Alexander Hamilton, ( such as the one by Ron Chernow) then Thomas Jefferson is the big villain. But if you read a biography of Jefferson (such as the one by John Meacham) then Alexander Hamilton is the big villain.

Neither is really "correct" but it us helpful to try to see things from multiple perspectives.

As was famously said

"Every truth has two sides; it is as well to look at both, before we commit ourselves to either. Peace and justice are two sides of the same coin. There are three sides to every story: my side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:48 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
GKC wrote:

I find that for the big historical topics, it is good to read many books from many different points of view.

If you read a book about Alexander Hamilton, ( such as the one by Ron Chernow) then Thomas Jefferson is the big villain. But if you read a biography of Jefferson (such as the one by John Meacham) then Alexander Hamilton is the big villain.

Neither is really "correct" but it us helpful to try to see things from multiple perspectives.

As was famously said

"Every truth has two sides; it is as well to look at both, before we commit ourselves to either. Peace and justice are two sides of the same coin. There are three sides to every story: my side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently."

I think I'll agree with Doom.

Of course, there is likely another way of looking at it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:34 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Doom wrote:

"

And all along it was gherkin! :fyi:

'The only cure for sagging or fainting faith is Communion.... Like the act of Faith it must be continuous and grow by exercise. Frequency is of the highest effect. Seven times a week is more nourishing than seven times at intervals.'
J.R.R. Tolkien

Blasé member of PPPA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:40 am 
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
As a UVa alumnus, I must insist that Mr. Jefferson, at any rate, was NOT the villain. :fyi:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:54 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
gherkin wrote:
As a UVa alumnus, I must insist that Mr. Jefferson, at any rate, was NOT the villain. :fyi:

No one was a villain, really. But if you're going to write a book from the perspective of Alexander Hamilton, Jefferson is not going to come off well. Neither will John Adams.