Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Multiculturalism
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:59 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: Cursillo & KofC
Many years ago someone here explaimed very well this subject to me. Multicultural vs multiculturism, and how multiculturism was bad. It was many years afo, and does not come up in search. The oldest oost that xomes up is 2013. And this was some years prior. If any of you can point me in the right direction concerning this, please do.

Post subject: Re: Multiculturalism
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:37 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Here's an article on multiculturalism and it may be bad or may be good.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/vol ... 2c3c018a76

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:52 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
1HCaAC wrote:

There is nothing 'good' about multiculturalism, it always leads to disunity, chaos and eventually, civil war. A country can have only one culture, not many.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:23 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Doom wrote:
1HCaAC wrote:

There is nothing 'good' about multiculturalism, it always leads to disunity, chaos and eventually, civil war. A country can have only one culture, not many.

Good or bad there seems to be more than one culture in the USA.

Northern Culture vs. Southern Culture
By Kevin Wandrei ; Updated June 25, 2018
Northern Culture vs. Southern Culture
Cultural divisions between the North and South have their roots in American history. The original colonies were founded by groups with different religions, ethnicities, dialects, politics and artistic traditions. These cultural differences have waxed and waned since colonial times, but some are still apparent today.

Religious Affiliation
Overall, religious observation varies between the North and South, with the South being much more religious than the North. According to a 2016 Pew Research study, Northern states, especially those in New England, are among the country's least religious. In the poll, only 23 percent of residents in New Hampshire and Vermont described themselves as "very religious." In the South, however, Mississippi was the nation's most religious state, with 59 percent of residents describing themselves as very religious. Other states above 50 percent were predominantly in the South -- Alabama, Louisiana, Arkansas, South Carolina, Tennessee and South Carolina. Among those who do observe a religion, the primary religion in the North is Roman Catholicism, while Southern Baptists are the most common group in the South.

Regional Cuisine
While America's culinary offerings are diverse, the North and South have regional cuisines that showcase some of the best of American food. In the North, New England food descends from British influences, with clam chowder, Boston baked beans, Yankee pot roast and Maine lobster as regional favorites. In the South, traditional "down home" cooking of the Southeast is based on farm life, and includes favorites such as Southern fried chicken, deep fried beef cutlet and white gravy. Barbecued pork ribs with cornbread, greens and black eyed peas are also staples. Farther west, New Orleans' creole cooking distinguishes itself from the cuisine farther east with influences from French and Spanish cooking. Dishes like spicy gumbo and jambalaya mix in West Indian and African flavors.

Language and Dialect
Like many parts of American culture, dialect and language cannot be easily broken into Northern and Southern. There are distinct regional dialects within these regions, such as Eastern New England's Boston accent, where speakers drop r's and replace them with h's. The well-known example is the phrase, "Pahk your cah in Hahvahd Yahd." Elsewhere in the North, New York City has its own regional accent, which extends into Long Island. In the South, the "drawl" dominates, with English being spoken more slowly across the region. The New Orleans area has its own French- and Spanish-influenced dialect, where Creole words slip into English. In this dialect, for example, the city is locally pronounced "Nawlins."

Musical Movements
Musical traditions vary between the North and South. Both regions are diverse, with the South being home to regional specialties such as jazz, ragtime, blues, country and traditional rock n' roll. Major American musicians such as Elvis Presley, Nat "King" Cole and Dolly Parton hailed from the South. In the North, New York City has served as a home to major musical traditions, with bebop jazz, disco, punk and hip-hop all coming to the fore in the city. Major musicians such as Duke Ellington, Simon and Garfunkel, and Lady Gaga have found a musical home in New York.

- https://classroom.synonym.com/northern- ... 81560.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:42 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
1HCaAC wrote:

I agree with the article that our form of government and the Bill of Rights virtually guarantees multiculturalism. Given that and the geographic enormity of the United States, I don't see how we could be anything but a multicultural country.

- I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

- I remember a lot of things. (Some of which actually happened.)

- Even the best of men may be born in times unsuited to their virtues.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:34 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

The men of the 100th Battalion, 442d Infantry Regiment, vast majority being Japanese Hawaiian Americans (Nisei) and definitely being quite culturally different than most stateside Americans, performed with great distinction fighting Germans during WWII even though many of their extented family members were in the interment camps.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:53 am 
There Can Be Only One

Before one can form an opinion on culture, single or multi, I suggest that one must define and understand "culture".

The devil is in the details.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:11 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Highlander wrote:
Before one can form an opinion on culture, single or multi, I suggest that one must define and understand "culture".

The devil is in the details.

Most definitely. I was going to go there but decided to just forge ahead with some obvious.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:07 am 
There Can Be Only One

Multiculturalism, in its current popular sense, seems to me to be an ideological agenda based upon divisiveness, victimization, economic preference, affirmative action(s), and political maneuvering -- based upon the usual philosophy of post modernism and Marxism. Thus one enjoying a facet of another culture by wearing a piece of clothing or singing a song is not congratulated for their desire to experience a new culture, but vilified as a cultural appropriator.

Multiculturalism, in an older popular sense, was a tolerant way of viewing and reacting to the various facets of different cultures -- both individually and socially.

In my children's rather pricey public school, mentioned elsewhere, an annual Multicultural Day was held. It was advertised as a celebration and acceptance of all cultures. My older, in his first encounter with the Day and in the perceived spirit of the event, brought a Scottish flag. It was confiscated as provocative and outside the bounds of the Day. Similarly, a teacher arrived wearing a kilt and was directed to leave and change clothing. Because Multicultural Day was intended for cultures based upon skin color, third world status, European colonial experience, and political structure. So Cuba was right in, but Canada, not so much.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:44 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Highlander wrote:
... My older, in his first encounter with the Day and in the perceived spirit of the event, brought a Scottish flag. It was confiscated... Similarly, a teacher arrived wearing a kilt and was directed to leave and change clothing...

How very odd. In my area - a generally very left-wing locale - there is a bag pipe group (band?) of about 30 members. They've been around for over 60 years. All volunteers, of course, and I doubt they are all Scottish. As much as they are able they play at public/private schools and events around the State. They are enthusiastically welcomed wherever they perform. Part of the fun is seeing them all decked out in their Highland dress. They occasionally practice at the public elementary school about two blocks from my house.

- I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:30 am 
There Can Be Only One

Had nothing to do with Scots. Had everything to do with Western cultures are not to be celebrated ... which devolved into white privilege.

Older child had to do a paper on indigenous peoples (of course). He chose the Irish and his teacher informed him that the Irish were not indigenous, as they were European. He (being a chip off of) went to the Dean with a presentation asserting, as the Irish lived in Ireland for centuries, that the Irish were indigenous to Ireland. Since he pointed out they were oppressed by the English, or so it is said, the Dean and the teacher accepted his thesis.

So the definition of indigenous has now morphed to require oppression by Europeans. And multiculturalism has little to do with enjoying and tolerating and practicing other cultures than your own. There must be a power structure and oppression and a patriarchal hierarchy.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:55 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Highlander wrote:
Had nothing to do with Scots. Had everything to do with Western cultures are not to be celebrated ... which devolved into white privilege.

Older child had to do a paper on indigenous peoples (of course). He chose the Irish and his teacher informed him that the Irish were not indigenous, as they were European. He (being a chip off of) went to the Dean with a presentation asserting, as the Irish lived in Ireland for centuries, that the Irish were indigenous to Ireland. Since he pointed out they were oppressed by the English, or so it is said, the Dean and the teacher accepted his thesis.

So the definition of indigenous has now morphed to require oppression by Europeans. And multiculturalism has little to do with enjoying and tolerating and practicing other cultures than your own. There must be a power structure and oppression and a patriarchal hierarchy.

Interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:47 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Perhaps your son should wear Highland dress to class on just a regular school day to see what will happen.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:58 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

TreeBeard wrote:
Perhaps your son should wear Highland dress to class on just a regular school day to see what will happen.

The image is compelling.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:43 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Highlander wrote:

In college I had a requirement to take some "core cirriculum" courses, history fulfilling one of them and took History of Western Civilization I and II.

Western civilizations , often categorized as strongly influenced by Christianity and rightly so, advanced more than previous and contemporary civilizations therefore surpassing those other civilization or cultures.

"The Catholic Church was for centuries at the center of the development of the values, ideas, science, laws and institutions which constitute Western civilization."
- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_culture
Thus we see the opposition by the "do gooder" intelligentsia. Seems to me they rely on their own understanding. ( Proverbs 3:5)

Weren't the Visigoths "indigenous"?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:15 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

1HCaAC wrote:
Highlander wrote:

In college I had a requirement to take some "core cirriculum" courses, history fulfilling one of them and took History of Western Civilization I and II.

Western civilizations , often categorized as strongly influenced by Christianity and rightly so, advanced more than previous and contemporary civilizations therefore surpassing those other civilization or cultures.

"The Catholic Church was for centuries at the center of the development of the values, ideas, science, laws and institutions which constitute Western civilization."
- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_culture
Thus we see the opposition by the "do gooder" intelligentsia. Seems to me they rely on their own understanding. ( Proverbs 3:5)

Weren't the Visigoths "indigenous"?

That quote is the sort of thing I noticed, as I developed my reading in college. Reference my post in the utopia thread.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:57 am 
There Can Be Only One

1HCaAC wrote:
...Weren't the Visigoths "indigenous"?

Interesting question. Let's riff.

They were barbarians and wore funny clothing. So yes.
They were white. So no.
The Romans oppressed them. So yes.
They spoke a Germanic language. So no.
They were migratory. So yes and no.
They became the Spanish. So no.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:54 am 

Very interesting topic. And I'm sure it's worth for wide discussion. Multiculturalism is the way in which a society deals with cultural diversity, both at the national and at the community level. Because every voice of every culture has to be heard.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:20 am 
There Can Be Only One

Disagree. Respectfully.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:55 pm 
Majesty
Majesty

Weren't the Visigoths "indigenous"? What about us Ostrogoths and Vandals? We three all did...urban renewal, exciting style...