The Catholic Message Board
http://forums.avemariaradio.net/

what do you do when having a bad day?
http://forums.avemariaradio.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=169613
Page 2 of 2

Author:  Jack3 [ Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: what do you do when having a bad day?

flyingaway wrote:
I never do anything when having a bad day.. OK maybe not never but rarely do I do much

that's because I am too busy being in a bad mood

laugh but true.. I am an idiot (sometimes)

sometimes not :)

well, anyway.. what i should do is go for a walk but sometimes the weather is not accommodating so can't take a walk

I could fix myself an espresso. But again, I don't do much to help myself when in a bad mood. That is interesting, you know.. it's like a residual from the days when i.. well, I once was a rather self-defeating person for years and probably still am. I tried to change and thought i had succeeded but I don't think i have..

well, anyway, i need to think of things i can do when in a bad mood. I am not in a bad mood right now, but was starting to go there..

hey, maybe i actually am not so hopeless after all

anyway---just rambling

added later:

here's a good exercise: ask yourself why you were starting to fall into a bad mood? Answer: I read something on the forums that didn't set too well with me.. but i will be danged if i can recall what it was.. funny how the mind works.. you'd think one could recall such things especially when it was only about 10 minutes ago. But in any case


http://www.newadvent.org/summa/2038.htm

Author:  Dorothy B. [ Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: what do you do when having a bad day?

faithfulservant wrote:
go spend some time with our Lord, in His Presence... either in the tabernacle or exposed in a monstrance

my usual Holy Hour is tuesday from 5-6


That helps very much!

Author:  kage_ar [ Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: what do you do when having a bad day?

flyingaway wrote:
faithfulservant wrote:
your parish does not have a tabernacle in plain sight in the church itself? :shock:

yes, it's just that you c an only be there during Mass, which sometimes feels sufficient

but sometimes maybe not..


Are you sure?

Our parish is in a bad part of town. It is locked except during Mass, however, if you pop in the Parish Office one of us will let you in to pray.

Author:  flyingaway [ Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: what do you do when having a bad day?

kage_ar wrote:
flyingaway wrote:
faithfulservant wrote:
your parish does not have a tabernacle in plain sight in the church itself? :shock:

yes, it's just that you c an only be there during Mass, which sometimes feels sufficient

but sometimes maybe not..


Are you sure?

Our parish is in a bad part of town. It is locked except during Mass, however, if you pop in the Parish Office one of us will let you in to pray.

well, i have done that, with less than pleasant results..

Author:  weunice [ Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:27 am ]
Post subject:  Re: what do you do when having a bad day?

I just wanted to come back on and thank everyone for their prayers over this time. I am still having some serious issues at work so I would appreciate your continued prayers. I see a light at the end of the tunnel but I am going to have to do some serious self-reflection and thinking after this.

Author:  Highlander [ Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: what do you do when having a bad day?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGS029Peq7k

Author:  kage_ar [ Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:54 am ]
Post subject:  Re: what do you do when having a bad day?

weunice wrote:
I just wanted to come back on and thank everyone for their prayers over this time. I am still having some serious issues at work so I would appreciate your continued prayers. I see a light at the end of the tunnel but I am going to have to do some serious self-reflection and thinking after this.


Offering up my suffering today for you.

Author:  faithfulservant [ Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: what do you do when having a bad day?

weunice wrote:
I just wanted to come back on and thank everyone for their prayers over this time. I am still having some serious issues at work so I would appreciate your continued prayers. I see a light at the end of the tunnel but I am going to have to do some serious self-reflection and thinking after this.


like getting out of your connection to the highly volatile oil bidness? i remember back in the early 90s there were bumper stickers saying "pray for $40 a barrel"... that was back when oil was hovering around $10 a barrel and every day you went into work wondering if there was going to be another purge :verymad:

i managed to last until the downturn in '02... really sad since the bidness went crazy and people were making money hand over fist within a few years after that...sure would have helped out our retirement nest egg had i been able to stay for that :? :verymad: ... all in all , i think i managed to miss 4 of the times our company was laying off people... the 5th one got me... probably because i was approaching a time with the company that would be beneficial to me because of my seniority

Author:  Dorothy B. [ Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: what do you do when having a bad day?

For "weunice" :pray:

Author:  Highlander [ Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: what do you do when having a bad day?

Nobody is dead and nobody is wounded. It is a good day.

Author:  BlueyedMule [ Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:33 am ]
Post subject:  Re: what do you do when having a bad day?

Highlander wrote:
Nobody is dead and nobody is wounded. It is a good day.


Roger that. No bombs falling. Zero body count. Sleeping in my own bed. No field rations. No zombies trying for my brains. No wierd clowns looking through my window.

Author:  Denise Dee [ Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: what do you do when having a bad day?

BlueyedMule wrote:
Highlander wrote:
Nobody is dead and nobody is wounded. It is a good day.


Roger that. No bombs falling. Zero body count. Sleeping in my own bed. No field rations. No zombies trying for my brains. No wierd clowns looking through my window.

I like this quote which some on the Internet attribute to Buddha, but probably not, it doesn't matter who said it:

"Let us all be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful."

And another one I like, which I have on a laminated card I bought in a Christian bookshop which I carry around with me (the card not the shop):

"Lord, help me to remember that nothing is going to happen today which You and I together can't handle."

Author:  Dorothy B. [ Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:04 am ]
Post subject:  Re: what do you do when having a bad day?

Denise,

I like the last sentence best of all!

Thanks!

Dorothy

Author:  Highlander [ Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re: what do you do when having a bad day?

The year’s at the spring,
And day's at the morn;
Morning's at seven;
The hill-side’s dew-pearled;
The lark's on the wing;
The snail's on the thorn;
God's in his heaven—
All's right with the world!

Pippa Passes
--Robert Browning.

Author:  Highlander [ Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: what do you do when having a bad day?

BlueyedMule wrote:
Highlander wrote:
Nobody is dead and nobody is wounded. It is a good day.


Roger that. No bombs falling. Zero body count. Sleeping in my own bed. No field rations. No zombies trying for my brains. No wierd clowns looking through my window.


Once upon a time, when trying to sleep in about three inches of water, someone said, in the night:

"Thirty years from now, when you're sitting around telling stories about how great is was in the Corps, remember right now."

Author:  Denise Dee [ Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: what do you do when having a bad day?

Dorothy B. wrote:
Denise,

I like the last sentence best of all!

Thanks!

Dorothy

Yes, I do too, that's why I carry it around with me, in my pocket or handbag. I need to remember that every day, though it's not always easy.

Author:  flyingaway [ Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: what do you do when having a bad day?

Highlander wrote:
The year’s at the spring,
And day's at the morn;
Morning's at seven;
The hill-side’s dew-pearled;
The lark's on the wing;
The snail's on the thorn;
God's in his heaven—
All's right with the world!

Pippa Passes
--Robert Browning.

Browning must not have been Catholic.. must not have been.. living after say 1920

i rarely feel all is right w/ the world... unless I am in the Real Presence, exposed:)

Author:  faithfulservant [ Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: what do you do when having a bad day?

missed the turn of the century by almost 11 years ... according to google :wink:

Author:  Denise Dee [ Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: what do you do when having a bad day?

flyingaway wrote:
I never do anything when having a bad day.. OK maybe not never but rarely do I do much

that's because I am too busy being in a bad mood

laugh but true.. I am an idiot (sometimes)

sometimes not :)

well, anyway.. what i should do is go for a walk but sometimes the weather is not accommodating so can't take a walk

I could fix myself an espresso. But again, I don't do much to help myself when in a bad mood. That is interesting, you know.. it's like a residual from the days when i.. well, I once was a rather self-defeating person for years and probably still am. I tried to change and thought i had succeeded but I don't think i have..

well, anyway, i need to think of things i can do when in a bad mood. I am not in a bad mood right now, but was starting to go there..

hey, maybe i actually am not so hopeless after all

anyway---just rambling

added later:

here's a good exercise: ask yourself why you were starting to fall into a bad mood? Answer: I read something on the forums that didn't set too well with me.. but i will be danged if i can recall what it was.. funny how the mind works.. you'd think one could recall such things especially when it was only about 10 minutes ago. But in any case

Some people take some things unnecessarily far too seriously. You don't, flyingaway. I like you. Even though we very much disagree about many things, if we met in real life, I know I would get on well with you. I have friends I disagree with, including one who believes in all kinds of weird conspiracy theories which I totally disagree with, but one thing we share is we never take any of it so seriously that we can't have a laugh and lots of hugs.

Page 2 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/