Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 3   [ 45 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: A beautiful song
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:24 pm 
Online
Some Poor Bibliophile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:22 pm
Posts: 19258
Doom wrote:
GKC wrote:

Highlander and I are also very old.


But not very, very old I don't think.


Older than the song.

And I'm older than Highlander, though I don't look it.

_________________
"I tell you naught for your comfort,
Yea, naught for your desire,
Save that the sky grows darker yet
And the sea rises higher."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A beautiful song
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:25 pm 
Offline
King of Cool
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 1:30 pm
Posts: 75961
Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Well, I' m older than that song as well, but there are those here who aren't

_________________
Excelsior!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A beautiful song
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:53 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:36 am
Posts: 8465
Location: India
Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
Such as... me! :salut:

_________________
Prayers,
Jack3
South Indian Eastern Catholic teenager.

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A beautiful song
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:14 pm 
Offline
There Can Be Only One
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:44 pm
Posts: 12547
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Religion: Catholic
He is, not me. GKC. Older. In mind and spirit. And, I'll bet, in judgement.

However, it becomes clear that "beauty" is a personal thing ... in the ear of the beholder. Don't shift the music theme to literature (Don't, I mean it), but the following by Byron:

She walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;


I consider these two lines transcendent in beauty. I wager that most modern English lit students would disagree...even if they have been exposed to Byron.

_________________
Where’er the Catholic sun doth shine,
There’s music and laughter and good red wine.
At least I’ve always found it so.
Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A beautiful song
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:26 pm 
Offline
There Can Be Only One
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:44 pm
Posts: 12547
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Religion: Catholic
Norwegianblue wrote:
...Of course, you may consider it beautiful, but I wonder if you misunderstood me still, . But you can appreciate and enjoy a song without thinking it beautiful. I like Thin Lizzy's Whiskey in the Jar. I appreciate and enjoy it. I would not in a million years call it beautiful.


Please explicate on how I may have misunderstood. Not a challenge; curiosity. In my mind, beauty does not have to be butterflies and roses ... sitting under a bush in the midst of a thunderstorm with lightning striking within 50 yards was beautiful. Scary, oh yes. Thus the term, "terrible beauty".
I like Thin Lizzy's version. This one approaches beautiful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIh3nO6-V_A

_________________
Where’er the Catholic sun doth shine,
There’s music and laughter and good red wine.
At least I’ve always found it so.
Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A beautiful song
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:37 pm 
Online
Some Poor Bibliophile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:22 pm
Posts: 19258
Doom wrote:
Well, I' m older than that song as well, but there are those here who aren't



And I'm older than you, too.

Possibly older than you and Jack3 together. Maybe.

_________________
"I tell you naught for your comfort,
Yea, naught for your desire,
Save that the sky grows darker yet
And the sea rises higher."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A beautiful song
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:39 pm 
Offline
There Can Be Only One
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:44 pm
Posts: 12547
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Religion: Catholic
As a further example, I don't see how my favorite Christmas carol can ever be seen as other than beautiful... however presented. This is more a tear test than the one previously presented ... for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HkosDpIdLo

_________________
Where’er the Catholic sun doth shine,
There’s music and laughter and good red wine.
At least I’ve always found it so.
Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A beautiful song
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:41 pm 
Offline
King of Cool
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 1:30 pm
Posts: 75961
Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Highlander wrote:


However, it becomes clear that "beauty" is a personal thing ... in the ear of the beholder. .


Nope, I don't agree with that at all, it is a classic expression of relativism. The classical Christian tradition has always held to a completely different theory of aesthetics, and modern science concurs.

What is beautiful? Well, there are several characteristics that 'beautiful' things have in common, for example, every culture and every society (as well as modern research in psychology) agrees that symmetry is beautiful, patterns are beautiful, things which hold to the so-called 'Golden Ratio' are beautiful etc. There is an objective standard of measurement of what is, and is not, beautiful.

And this is true not just in art, but in sexuality. There is, of course, a big difference between 'beauty' and 'attraction', and a lot more goes into attraction than just looks, in fact, when it comes to attraction, looks are probably the least important thing. Nevertheless, there are certain facial and body types that are universally regarded as 'beautiful.' It is safe to say that there is not, and never will be, a society on Earth which would regard, for example, Christy Turlington as 'ugly' but Rosie O'Donnell 'beautiful', or, among the men, there is no society anywhere and never will be one that you would regard Brad Pitt as 'ugly' but Chris Farley as 'beautiful'.

Now, that doesn't mean that everyone is attracted to the same type of person because personality and compatibility play a huge factor in attraction. There are women out there, no doubt, who might be more attracted to Chris Farley than Brad Pitt because Chris Farley had a fairly appealing personality, he was funny, charming, self-depreciating, kind of shy and insecure, and was generally kind, while Brad Pitt is more of an elitist Hollywood leftist snob. However, any man who thinks that Rosie O'Donnell has a more appealing personality than Christy Turlington is clearly suffering from mental illness. That's the difference between 'beauty' and 'attraction', attraction is largely subjective, but beauty isn't.


TL;DR: No, you're wrong about that,

_________________
Excelsior!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A beautiful song
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:12 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:36 am
Posts: 8465
Location: India
Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
Doom wrote:
<beauty is objective>

1. Some think women with long straight hair are beautiful, others like the appearance of women with curly hair.
2. Is beauty in taste or sound (food or music) objective?

_________________
Prayers,
Jack3
South Indian Eastern Catholic teenager.

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A beautiful song
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:24 pm 
Offline
There Can Be Only One
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:44 pm
Posts: 12547
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Religion: Catholic
Doom wrote:
Highlander wrote:


However, it becomes clear that "beauty" is a personal thing ... in the ear of the beholder. .


Nope, I don't agree with that at all, it is a classic expression of relativism. The classical Christian tradition has always held to a completely different theory of aesthetics, and modern science concurs.

What is beautiful? Well, there are several characteristics that 'beautiful' things have in common, for example, every culture and every society (as well as modern research in psychology) agrees that symmetry is beautiful, patterns are beautiful, things which hold to the so-called 'Golden Ratio' are beautiful etc. There is an objective standard of measurement of what is, and is not, beautiful.

And this is true not just in art, but in sexuality. There is, of course, a big difference between 'beauty' and 'attraction', and a lot more goes into attraction than just looks, in fact, when it comes to attraction, looks are probably the least important thing. Nevertheless, there are certain facial and body types that are universally regarded as 'beautiful.' It is safe to say that there is not, and never will be, a society on Earth which would regard, for example, Christy Turlington as 'ugly' but Rosie O'Donnell 'beautiful', or, among the men, there is no society anywhere and never will be one that you would regard Brad Pitt as 'ugly' but Chris Farley as 'beautiful'.

Now, that doesn't mean that everyone is attracted to the same type of person because personality and compatibility play a huge factor in attraction. There are women out there, no doubt, who might be more attracted to Chris Farley than Brad Pitt because Chris Farley had a fairly appealing personality, he was funny, charming, self-depreciating, kind of shy and insecure, and was generally kind, while Brad Pitt is more of an elitist Hollywood leftist snob. However, any man who thinks that Rosie O'Donnell has a more appealing personality than Christy Turlington is clearly suffering from mental illness. That's the difference between 'beauty' and 'attraction', attraction is largely subjective, but beauty isn't.


TL;DR: No, you're wrong about that,


Weren't we speaking of music?

_________________
Where’er the Catholic sun doth shine,
There’s music and laughter and good red wine.
At least I’ve always found it so.
Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A beautiful song
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:25 pm 
Offline
There Can Be Only One
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:44 pm
Posts: 12547
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Religion: Catholic
Jack3 wrote:
Doom wrote:
<beauty is objective>

1. Some think women with long straight hair are beautiful, others like the appearance of women with curly hair.
2. Is beauty in taste or sound (food or music) objective?



1. Yes.

2. No.

_________________
Where’er the Catholic sun doth shine,
There’s music and laughter and good red wine.
At least I’ve always found it so.
Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A beautiful song
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:02 pm 
Offline
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:10 pm
Posts: 34569
Location: Here in the center holding my bleeding heart...
Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
Jack3 wrote:
kage_ar wrote:
Jack3 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYQseeZGvl8


You are a romantic at heart, you must make your mamma smile :)

:)


Quote:
Would you give an interpretation of the lyrics?

The lyrics are penned by Vayalar Sharath Chandra Varma, son of the legendary Vayalar Rama Varma.

My translation attempt follows; I am unable to carry the literary beauty to a foreign language though.

Blue-eyed deer,
you are for me
Blue-eyed deer,
I am a pair-bird for you
You are the pair-bird for me,
in the journey forward
We are a bridge that joins two lands
We are one forever
There is nothing between us
Only the thought "we"


Good job, that is lovely!

_________________
Living life on prayers and hooks and needles...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A beautiful song
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:03 pm 
Offline
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:10 pm
Posts: 34569
Location: Here in the center holding my bleeding heart...
Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
Jack3 wrote:
kage_ar wrote:
Jack3 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYQseeZGvl8


You are a romantic at heart, you must make your mamma smile :)

It dawned on me that you are a trained singer and/or come from a family of musicians, so I'll put this once more: :)

I am very deeply attached to my mother, she is very, very sweet :cloud9:

The following are among the lullabies my mother would sing to me when I was younger:
https://youtu.be/OuIl97tounQ?t=25
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VyZoJAe9B0

:cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:


LIKE

_________________
Living life on prayers and hooks and needles...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A beautiful song
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:05 pm 
Offline
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:10 pm
Posts: 34569
Location: Here in the center holding my bleeding heart...
Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
Doom wrote:
Here, I dare you to listen to this from beginning to end without crying


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW9Cu6GYqxo


Sadly, I have heard this song BUTCHERED too many times by cover bands. Ruint it for me

_________________
Living life on prayers and hooks and needles...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A beautiful song
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:11 pm 
Offline
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:10 pm
Posts: 34569
Location: Here in the center holding my bleeding heart...
Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
Doom wrote:
while Brad Pitt is more of an elitist Hollywood leftist snob.


Actually Brad Pitt is a graduate of Kickapoo High School which was just up the road from my "home town". We were in the same local theater circles and had friends in common, and my husband's college roommate's girlfriend (now wife) DATED Brad Pitt in High School. Back when he was on "Facts of Life" we had watch parties because he was someone WE KNEW getting a role on a national TV show!!!

I was a bit of a snob back then, thought of him as a mediocre actor. I will never forget how outraged I was when HE was cast in "Interview With A Vampire" because I did not think he had the chops to play that role.

_________________
Living life on prayers and hooks and needles...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A beautiful song
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:37 am 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:36 am
Posts: 8465
Location: India
Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
kage_ar wrote:
LIKE
kage_ar wrote:
Good job, that is lovely!

:) :cloud9: :salut: :rose:

_________________
Prayers,
Jack3
South Indian Eastern Catholic teenager.

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A beautiful song
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:55 pm 
Offline
King of Cool
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 1:30 pm
Posts: 75961
Religion: Anticukite Catholic
kage_ar wrote:
Doom wrote:
while Brad Pitt is more of an elitist Hollywood leftist snob.


Actually Brad Pitt is a graduate of Kickapoo High School which was just up the road from my "home town". We were in the same local theater circles and had friends in common, and my husband's college roommate's girlfriend (now wife) DATED Brad Pitt in High School. Back when he was on "Facts of Life" we had watch parties because he was someone WE KNEW getting a role on a national TV show!!!

I was a bit of a snob back then, thought of him as a mediocre actor. I will never forget how outraged I was when HE was cast in "Interview With A Vampire" because I did not think he had the chops to play that role.


None of that means that he isn't an elitist Hollywood snob, because he is.

_________________
Excelsior!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A beautiful song
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:06 pm 
Offline
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:26 am
Posts: 102375
Location: Revelation 11:19-12:1
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
GKC wrote:
Doom wrote:
Well, I' m older than that song as well, but there are those here who aren't



And I'm older than you, too.

Possibly older than you and Jack3 together. Maybe.


that's an affirmative :fyi:

_________________
All Marian devotion begins with Christ,is centered on Christ,and ends with Christ.
As Mary brought Jesus to us,so shall She bring us to Jesus!


De Maria numquam satis

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A beautiful song
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:18 pm 
Offline
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:26 am
Posts: 102375
Location: Revelation 11:19-12:1
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
Doom wrote:
Here, I dare you to listen to this from beginning to end without crying


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW9Cu6GYqxo


yessir... love me some bonnie... and she can play that geetar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toJ3ZYWRh24

love this cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPzcZNgVfpA

_________________
All Marian devotion begins with Christ,is centered on Christ,and ends with Christ.
As Mary brought Jesus to us,so shall She bring us to Jesus!


De Maria numquam satis

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A beautiful song
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:23 pm 
Offline
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:26 am
Posts: 102375
Location: Revelation 11:19-12:1
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
Highlander wrote:
And very dated, and in a different style, I find this beautiful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmactMIhrRM

The voices have it here.


watch out, you're drifting into obi-wan's lane :wink:

my table partner and i in 8th grade science got into trouble (we got a P in the book!!! :shock: ) when we started singing this song in class one day... we started out real low, just messing around) then got caught up in the song and couldn't help ourselves... i'm surprised mrs henderson didn't make us get up in front of the whole room and perform it ::): :mrgreen:

_________________
All Marian devotion begins with Christ,is centered on Christ,and ends with Christ.
As Mary brought Jesus to us,so shall She bring us to Jesus!


De Maria numquam satis

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 3   [ 45 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


Jump to: