Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 23 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: On the education system
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:22 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Jack3 wrote:
"High school science students shouldn't be compelled to memorize theorems and chemical equations. They should be allowed to refer the textbooks during the exam"

Thoughts?

Often "open book" tests are far more difficult.

The Pythagorean Theorem is an example. High school students should be able to remember this theorem when in a geometry class along with several others for calculating areas of objects, along with other types of relationships.

Bottom line, they should be tested on theorems and chemical equations without the book open.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:01 am 
There Can Be Only One

Jack3 wrote:
"High school science students shouldn't be compelled to memorize theorems and chemical equations. They should be allowed to refer the textbooks during the exam"

Thoughts?

No. They should memorize core equations and then be required to derive other equations from them. Or they will have no idea of the relationships and concepts being expressed.

I do periodic astronomy outreach with our local U's Astronomy 101 students. They have to observe and then fill out sheets recording their experience. One requirement is to write down the magnification of the viewing for each scope. Almost none can tell me that the magnification of an astronomical telescope is calculated by dividing the focal length of the telescope by the focal length of the eyepiece. Even when I tell them how to calculate it, and, often with cellphone calculator in hand, they cannot do that simple mathematical exercise. And, that, with the formula written on their exercise sheet. I refuse to do it for them. It is not surprising for some to haltingly work their way through that simple division, get the correct answer, and then ask me if it is correct. I usually agree, if it is.

The important practical concept is to understand that magnification of a telescope varies with the focal length of the eyepiece. That requires a derivation of the formula to answer the question, "If I want such and such magnification on this here telescope, what eyepiece would I choose?"

So, even with the book open, as the formula is written on the exercise sheet, the average student cannot calculate the magnification ... because they have o idea of the simple relationship.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:24 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Jack3 wrote:
"High school science students shouldn't be compelled to memorize theorems and chemical equations. They should be allowed to refer the textbooks during the exam"Thoughts?

It's worse than you think. About ten years before I retired, I had a vigorous discussion with the lady chairman of the math department at my high school on the movement to do away with memorizing the multiplication tables. She thought kids should spend more time with understanding the concept. I thought it was hogwash. You're squandering the best opportunity kids would ever have to acquire essential knowledge while their brains are like sponges.

How did memorization ever get such a bad reputation?

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 23 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2