Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 23 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: On the education system
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:58 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Syro Malabar Christian
It is often alleged that the education system encourages rote memorization to the detriment of actual understanding of concepts, that it kills creativity, that it only aims at preparing children for standardized tests and that it fails to recognize the uniqueness of each child. (Some examples can be found here and here)

What do you think?

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

Post subject: Re: On the education system
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:17 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Eorlingean Catholic
Church Affiliations: KC
Yes, and further more here in the U.S. the government schools would be happy to steal our childrens' souls though they don't even admit such a thing exists. My wife and I would home school if she weren't ill. I also have little respect for secular universities.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:31 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
Given:

1. The massive number of children to be taught,
2. The tremendous amount of money it would cost to individualize instruction, and
3. The limited ability of many parents to assist in their children's learning experience;

it is inevitable that a large portion of instruction is "rote memorization."

My recollection of my children's grade school experience is that while there were some things that were presented in a rote memorization format, there was also plenty of opportunity for a kid to use whatever skills and abilities they had to investigate various topics. Now, whether or not a kid would take the latter opportunity is another story. Sometimes they did and sometimes they just sat idly by and waited for the next teacher led period of instruction.

- I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

- I remember a lot of things. (Some of which actually happened.)

- Even the best of men may be born in times unsuited to their virtues.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:28 am 
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
What is it said that youth today memorize? Presidents? Nope. States and state capitals? Nope. Latin forms? Nope. I mean, seriously. What are they alleged to be memorizing?

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:06 am 

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
Without having memorized a bunch of stuff, the child expressing his creativity has virtually nothing to express. Imagine someone trying to do creative mathematics without having memorized his multiplication tables.

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:14 am 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
gherkin's questions are what I was wondering as well.

- Justice Scalia, dissent, King v. Burwell.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:16 am 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
Bombadil wrote:
gherkin's questions are what I was wondering as well.

It's weird, I was thinking exactly those things, as if he had invaded my mind like some sort of brainworm or something.

- Justice Scalia, dissent, King v. Burwell.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:58 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

gherkin wrote:
What is it said that youth today memorize? Presidents? Nope. States and state capitals? Nope. Latin forms? Nope. I mean, seriously. What are they alleged to be memorizing?

Not history, as far as I can see.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:04 pm 

Religion: Catholic
In the West, public-funded, mandatory school was first implemented by the Prussians for the purpose of controlling the citizens, and encouraging military participation. The French implemented this same system to counter the teachings of Catholic schools. Everyone else eventually followed suit. Schools basically churn out clones, so there's no desire to individualize. It is only ever going to teach to an 'average' child. Slow or advanced students are usually out of luck, unless a school district has money to provide anything extra.

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:45 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

gherkin wrote:

That's certainly the experience of my granddaughter who is in the 7th grade. She's bored in all of her classes except math. And although she is in the accelerated math class, she is weak in her multiplication facts.

"Do not conform yourself to this age but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and pleasing and perfect." Romans 12:2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:06 pm 
There Can Be Only One

Jack3 wrote:
It is often alleged that the education system encourages rote memorization to the detriment of actual understanding of concepts, that it kills creativity, that it only aims at preparing children for standardized tests and that it fails to recognize the uniqueness of each child. (Some examples can be found here and here)

What do you think?

I think that, in addition to lack of content and a dearth of practicing various forms of analysis, memorization also doesn't occur.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:08 pm 
There Can Be Only One

gherkin wrote:

Exactly. Except for threats to the planet, the plight of refugees (legal or not, refugee or not), and the need for government control ... of which they have a basic understanding ... as it is repeated endlessly.

BTW, that's from teachers.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:09 pm 
There Can Be Only One

GKC wrote:
gherkin wrote:

History is a patriarchal, European, elitist construct ... and therefore can be ignored.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:14 pm 
There Can Be Only One

Jackie wrote:
gherkin wrote:

That's certainly the experience of my granddaughter who is in the 7th grade. She's bored in all of her classes except math. And although she is in the accelerated math class, she is weak in her multiplication facts.

Both my kids were in "enriched" classes. The real drawback was the teaching of entitlement by some teachers ("I have arranged that enriched kid are excused from homework in their regular classes ... because that would be too much work for our stellar enriched paragons") and the teaching of social justice by some others ("Let's make very educated posters on the need for additional money for education and the protection of a woman's right to choose. You're smart enough to figure out the stuff I'm really supposed to be teaching.")

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:21 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Highlander wrote:
GKC wrote:
gherkin wrote:

History is a patriarchal, European, elitist construct ... and therefore can be ignored.

Well, that will save me a great deal of time.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:47 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: la foi Catholique
Church Affiliations: K of C 4th Degree
gherkin wrote:

Can confirm I was not taught to memorize our Prime Ministers. We did memorize the provinces and territories 8-) but that's only 10+3

Tiber swim team '13

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:51 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: la foi Catholique
Church Affiliations: K of C 4th Degree
BlueyedMule wrote:
I also have little respect for secular universities.

I have reasoned about this before. I'd rather be in a secular university (where I am) where people will present error, but not as if it were the Catholic faith, and at least let me self-define.

It would be a lot more difficult to have to argue with people teaching error and presenting it as Catholicism.

There was some big shot atheist, I don't remember his organization, but he kept thanking some nun at Notre Dame for teaching him how the Bible wasn't true. I know a friend who went to a Catholic university, and came back with so much confidence that half of Paul's letters are attributed to him falsely :roll:

I'll stick with my non-Catholic university for now. (Yes, there are good ones out there)

Tiber swim team '13

Last edited by ForeverFaithful on Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:15 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Anyone remember The Game of the States? It was only 48 states and their capitals when I played it.

As already mentioned, the multiplication tables.

Both a function of memorization.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:11 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

As if I don't already have enough to occupy my mind, I listened to this presentation. As a retired teacher (32 years without a single count of homicide), I am preternaturally suspicious of teacher inservicers. Maybe you should be suspicious of my views as well, but here goes.

The speaker reminds us that we're educating children who will retire in 2065. (If they're lucky, Social Security won't have sucked all their money down an ever-widening rat hole. But I digress.) "Nobody has a clue what the world will look like in five years," saith the sage. That suggests that we should be educating them with something that will be useful throughout their life like, say, multiplication tables.

"Creativity is as important as literacy."

Well, this sounds true, but is it really? What if someone could build a better mousetrap simply by tinkering with it? Did Thomas Edison spend time poring over scientific journals as he created one world-changing invention after another? Henry Ford, who famously said "history is bunk" may have been anti-intellectual, but he sure got those cars moving off the assembly line. Don't get me wrong, kids should be literate, because that opens more doors to them. If nothing else, they can read for themselves that history is, in fact, endlessly fascinating and useful.

I have more, but I'm kind of tired and need a nap.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:17 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Syro Malabar Christian
"High school science students shouldn't be compelled to memorize theorems and chemical equations. They should be allowed to refer the textbooks during the exam"

Thoughts?

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 23 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next