Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic Page 4 of 5   [ 87 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Is Harry Potter of the Devil?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:59 pm 
Offline
Paladin
Paladin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:12 am
Posts: 6581
Location: Filii Tonitrui
Religion: Catholic
ForeverFaithful wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
Fr. Ripperger's issue is that the series contains real curses/spells taken from actual witchcraft. If one can disprove it (or prove it?), then there you go. I have never looked into it, so I have no idea.


His proof is that a woman burned her house down with the spell in the book. That's not true. As I cited before, she was cooking with oil and toothpaste.


Actually, he states that there are several spells taken from witchcraft - not just a fire spell. Also, he never really proved anything, even with the lady who burned her house down.

_________________
-Alexander
"The proof of love is to suffer for the one you love." -St. Pio


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Harry Potter of the Devil?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:18 pm 
Offline
Master
Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:22 pm
Posts: 1585
Location: Canada
Religion: la foi Catholique
Church Affiliations: K of C 4th Degree
Alexandros wrote:
ForeverFaithful wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
Fr. Ripperger's issue is that the series contains real curses/spells taken from actual witchcraft. If one can disprove it (or prove it?), then there you go. I have never looked into it, so I have no idea.


His proof is that a woman burned her house down with the spell in the book. That's not true. As I cited before, she was cooking with oil and toothpaste.


Actually, he states that there are several spells taken from witchcraft - not just a fire spell. Also, he never really proved anything, even with the lady who burned her house down.


So many of them are ordinary Latin words "Lumos" and "Nox" (yeah Lumos is Greek)

_________________
In Te speravi, Domine: dixi: Tu es Deus meus, in manibus Tuis tempora mea.
Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am weak: heal me, O Lord, for my bones are troubled.
All that the Father giveth to me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me, I will not cast out.
Tiber swim team '13


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Harry Potter of the Devil?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:48 pm 
Offline
Some Poor Bibliophile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:22 pm
Posts: 18782
ForeverFaithful wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
ForeverFaithful wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
Fr. Ripperger's issue is that the series contains real curses/spells taken from actual witchcraft. If one can disprove it (or prove it?), then there you go. I have never looked into it, so I have no idea.


His proof is that a woman burned her house down with the spell in the book. That's not true. As I cited before, she was cooking with oil and toothpaste.


Actually, he states that there are several spells taken from witchcraft - not just a fire spell. Also, he never really proved anything, even with the lady who burned her house down.


So many of them are ordinary Latin words "Lumos" and "Nox" (yeah Lumos is Greek)


Years ago, my child, a former Latin teacher, was approached by an author we know, to translate a "spell" he had written, for use in a YA book. I assure you it wouldn't do anything, if that is necessary. The translation was provided. It was not used in the book, though the English version was. Publishers feared they would be accused of doing something evil/bad/witchcrafty/satanic, if in Latin. Latin is scary.

_________________
"I tell you naught for your comfort,
Yea, naught for your desire,
Save that the sky grows darker yet
And the sea rises higher."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Harry Potter of the Devil?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:36 pm 
Offline
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:55 am
Posts: 78342
Location: 1.5532386636 radians
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Like Jack, and maybe more so, I've read most of the classics, and it never struck me while reading Harry Potter that they were stylistically deficient. Moreover, they meet at least one of CSL's criteria for a good book, which is that they are re-readable.

_________________
Nos autem in nomine Domini Dei nostri

Need something to read?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Harry Potter of the Devil?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:31 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:34 pm
Posts: 28993
Location: Sine Domum
Religion: Roman Catholic
I didn't even find them readable. They certainly aren't elevated. I am incredulous anyone would think they are on the same level as the Hobbit, let alone the great works

_________________
Quoniam sapientia aperuit os mutorum, et linguas infantium fecit disertas.

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Harry Potter of the Devil?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:32 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:36 am
Posts: 7819
Location: India
Religion: Syro Malabar Christian
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
CSL's criteria for a good book



Quote:
CSL on poetry


Can you link to these, please?

_________________
Prayers,
Jack3
South Indian Eastern Catholic teenager.

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Harry Potter of the Devil?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:43 pm 
Offline
Adept
Adept

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:52 pm
Posts: 6009
Religion: Christian
Letting kids have a positive experience with the tools of witchcraft is harmless but learning to pray in tongues is dangerous ... Go fig.

_________________
But our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, our Lord Jesus Christ, Philippians 3:20


Last edited by EtcumSpiri22-0 on Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Harry Potter of the Devil?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:45 pm 
Offline
The Exterminator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:44 pm
Posts: 27187
Location: The Old Forest
Religion: Númenórean Catholic
Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
I didn't even find them readable. They certainly aren't elevated. I am incredulous anyone would think they are on the same level as the Hobbit, let alone the great works

You wouldn't happen to have a list of the great works, would you? I have a children's books thread going.

_________________
This is absurd.

- Justice Scalia, dissent, King v. Burwell.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Harry Potter of the Devil?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:56 pm 
Offline
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:55 am
Posts: 78342
Location: 1.5532386636 radians
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Jack3 wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
CSL's criteria for a good book



Quote:
CSL on poetry


Can you link to these, please?

No, but I bet GKC can.

_________________
Nos autem in nomine Domini Dei nostri

Need something to read?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Harry Potter of the Devil?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:54 am 
Offline
Some Poor Bibliophile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:22 pm
Posts: 18782
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Jack3 wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
CSL's criteria for a good book



Quote:
CSL on poetry


Can you link to these, please?

No, but I bet GKC can.



One would certainly think so. I know I did.

But...but...

I assume the quote re: books and rereading is saying, in some fashion. that good books are those that can be re-read. That this is a standard to rate books by.

What the point about poetry is, I cannot tell. Someone enlighten me.

Doctor's appointment this morning, leaving shortly. Also involved with a literary project I've long been anticipating, which must come first. But I will report what have found on this bit of Lewisiana, and on whatever the poetry assertion might be, as time permits.

If anyone has a contribution, toss it in.

_________________
"I tell you naught for your comfort,
Yea, naught for your desire,
Save that the sky grows darker yet
And the sea rises higher."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Harry Potter of the Devil?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:19 pm 
Offline
Adept
Adept
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:37 pm
Posts: 5998
Location: Bergen, Norway
Religion: High Church Lutheran
Church Affiliations: Church of Norway
ForeverFaithful wrote:
17 is still a minor even if it would be better to say "young adult"
'Minor' and 'child' is not the same thing. And no, in most countries in Europe people aged 17 aren't minors. They can't vote but the age of consent in most European countries is 16.

_________________
Καὶ ὁ λόγος σὰρξ ἐγένετο

“Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt.” — Paul Tillich

http://katolikken.wordpress.com/
English texts: http://katolikken.wordpress.com/tag/english-texts-2/

http://www.facebook.com/kjetilkringlebotten

http://twitter.com/katolikken

http://thecatholic.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Harry Potter of the Devil?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:53 am 
Offline
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2002 10:54 am
Posts: 39753
Location: Ithilien
Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Alexandros wrote:
Fr. Ripperger's issue is that the series contains real curses/spells taken from actual witchcraft. If one can disprove it (or prove it?), then there you go. I have never looked into it, so I have no idea.

Yeah I think the burden of proof is on Fr. Ripperger (or those who agree with him) here.

_________________
Formerly Bagheera

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Harry Potter of the Devil?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:51 pm 
Offline
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:55 am
Posts: 78342
Location: 1.5532386636 radians
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
A difficulty with this would be the likelihood that some would-be witches have taken HP as a model, so one would have to be careful to be sure which direction the causality goes (much like the Jesus/Mithras alleged connection).

_________________
Nos autem in nomine Domini Dei nostri

Need something to read?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Harry Potter of the Devil?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:54 pm 
Offline
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2002 10:54 am
Posts: 39753
Location: Ithilien
Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
A difficulty with this would be the likelihood that some would-be witches have taken HP as a model, so one would have to be careful to be sure which direction the causality goes (much like the Jesus/Mithras alleged connection).

Well, claims like "J.K. Rowling went to witch school and is an actual witch" should be easy enough to prove - or at least to find some kind of evidence for.

_________________
Formerly Bagheera

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Harry Potter of the Devil?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:59 pm 
Offline
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:55 am
Posts: 78342
Location: 1.5532386636 radians
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Agreed, but claims that "Lumos" is an actual spell would be much harder to deal with.

_________________
Nos autem in nomine Domini Dei nostri

Need something to read?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Harry Potter of the Devil?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:34 pm 
Offline
Adept
Adept

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:52 pm
Posts: 6009
Religion: Christian
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Agreed, but claims that "Lumos" is an actual spell would be much harder to deal with.


I watched a BBC documentary. Rowling described how she studied ancient books/ spells/ libraries/ artifacts and all the details in her research.

Here is the assessment of an ex witch on the books.

"Harry Potter: Witchcraft Repackaged Making Evil Look Innocent
Millions of American schoolchildren have a new subject in school: witchcraft.
Through the Harry Potter series, the ancient occult religion of Wicca is being introduced in almost every public school in America.Through Harry's world of sorcery they are learning what tools today's witches and pagans use -- supernatural imagination, spiritual concentration, wands, brooms, spells and curses."

https://www.pacinst.com/witch.htm

_________________
But our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, our Lord Jesus Christ, Philippians 3:20


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Harry Potter of the Devil?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:56 pm 
Offline
Some Poor Bibliophile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:22 pm
Posts: 18782
EtcumSpiri22-0 wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Agreed, but claims that "Lumos" is an actual spell would be much harder to deal with.


I watched a BBC documentary. Rowling described how she studied ancient books/ spells/ libraries/ artifacts and all the details in her research.

Here is the assessment of an ex witch on the books.

"Harry Potter: Witchcraft Repackaged Making Evil Look Innocent
Millions of American schoolchildren have a new subject in school: witchcraft.
Through the Harry Potter series, the ancient occult religion of Wicca is being introduced in almost every public school in America.Through Harry's world of sorcery they are learning what tools today's witches and pagans use -- supernatural imagination, spiritual concentration, wands, brooms, spells and curses."

https://www.pacinst.com/witch.htm


The half dozen or so books on ceremonial magic (nothing from Llewellyn, these are old school) in storage around here would drive certain folk into a frenzy, I have no doubt.

Not to mention my Lovecraft collection.

_________________
"I tell you naught for your comfort,
Yea, naught for your desire,
Save that the sky grows darker yet
And the sea rises higher."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Harry Potter of the Devil?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:31 pm 
Offline
Master
Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:22 pm
Posts: 1585
Location: Canada
Religion: la foi Catholique
Church Affiliations: K of C 4th Degree
EtcumSpiri22-0 wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Agreed, but claims that "Lumos" is an actual spell would be much harder to deal with.


I watched a BBC documentary. Rowling described how she studied ancient books/ spells/ libraries/ artifacts and all the details in her research.

Here is the assessment of an ex witch on the books.

"Harry Potter: Witchcraft Repackaged Making Evil Look Innocent
Millions of American schoolchildren have a new subject in school: witchcraft.
Through the Harry Potter series, the ancient occult religion of Wicca is being introduced in almost every public school in America.Through Harry's world of sorcery they are learning what tools today's witches and pagans use -- supernatural imagination, spiritual concentration, wands, brooms, spells and curses."

https://www.pacinst.com/witch.htm


"the ancient occult religion of Wicca" Wicca was invented in the last century.


Nor does it's idea of magic resemble that in the books.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 30337.html

_________________
In Te speravi, Domine: dixi: Tu es Deus meus, in manibus Tuis tempora mea.
Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am weak: heal me, O Lord, for my bones are troubled.
All that the Father giveth to me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me, I will not cast out.
Tiber swim team '13


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Harry Potter of the Devil?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:20 pm 
Offline
Adept
Adept

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:52 pm
Posts: 6009
Religion: Christian
Wonder how many of these grew up on Harry Potter.


Ritual to Hex Brett Kavanaugh
Public · Hosted by Catland
https://www.facebook.com/events/1798362 ... _tab=about

Witches to Hex Justice Kavanaugh in Occult Ritual in NYC
https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/mi ... ritual-nyc

_________________
But our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, our Lord Jesus Christ, Philippians 3:20


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Harry Potter of the Devil?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:44 pm 
Offline
Citizen
Citizen
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:13 am
Posts: 250
Location: Houston TX
Religion: Catholic
Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
"The Outsiders is more like a Ricky Scaggs, or an In N' Out burger.
This is tremendously overrated. Ricky Skaggs deserves better. The Outsiders is a good enough book for juveniles, written by another juvenile. Ricky Skaggs, a master at fiddle and mandolin as well as a great singer, merits A Tree Grows in Brooklyn or Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, two books not mentioned earlier that belong in any canon of literature for . . . anybody.

All I've heard of 'In N' Out is they're as bland as they come. I'd go with Fuddrucker's.

_________________
Bobby, some things are like a tire fire, trying to put it out only makes it worse. You just gotta grab a beer and let it burn. - Hank Hill, explaining PMS


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 4 of 5   [ 87 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MySweetLord and 8 guests


Jump to: