Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 3   [ 45 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Desert island books...Pearce
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:29 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Riverboat wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Someone broke the page and should be banned.

I plead guilty, but I was under duress.

While I'm at it, dido anyone see the PBS thing on American Reads? If I were stuck on an island with some of those books, I'd have a huge advantage if I had a match. Surely, someone would see the bonfire while flying overhead. Fifty Shades of Fire.

http://www.pbs.org/the-great-american-read/home/

Some sucky books there, indeed. Was surprised I had only read about half the list.

Met 3 of the authors.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:50 am 
There Can Be Only One

Religion: Catholic
GKC wrote:
Riverboat wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

While I'm at it, dido anyone see the PBS thing on American Reads? If I were stuck on an island with some of those books, I'd have a huge advantage if I had a match. Surely, someone would see the bonfire while flying overhead. Fifty Shades of Fire.

Some sucky books there, indeed. Was surprised I had only read about half the list.

Met 3 of the authors.

The list has all the trademarks of being assembled by a committee that was primed for .... wait for it .... diversity! Although a good number of the books are, IMHO, "good reads", a good number are also political statements disguised as literature.

So many thoughts come to mind. Could this be a consortium of publicly funded liberal television acting to aid failing large liberal publishing houses while including pushing traffic to public libraries that have, in my case, become sinecures for librarians who are to busy to serve the public but have ample time to house the homeless, druggies, and Democratic voter registration drives? Just wondering. Not that I'm a conspiracy theorist. I'd call myself a conspiracy realist. BTW, even in the depth of my conspiracy dreams, I doubt that such a conspiracy, if any, was conscious. It's just part of the zeitgeist.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:14 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Highlander wrote:
GKC wrote:
Riverboat wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

Met 3 of the authors.

The list has all the trademarks of being assembled by a committee that was primed for .... wait for it .... diversity! Although a good number of the books are, IMHO, "good reads", a good number are also political statements disguised as literature.

So many thoughts come to mind. Could this be a consortium of publicly funded liberal television acting to aid failing large liberal publishing houses while including pushing traffic to public libraries that have, in my case, become sinecures for librarians who are to busy to serve the public but have ample time to house the homeless, druggies, and Democratic voter registration drives? Just wondering. Not that I'm a conspiracy theorist. I'd call myself a conspiracy realist. BTW, even in the depth of my conspiracy dreams, I doubt that such a conspiracy, if any, was conscious. It's just part of the zeitgeist.

Hive buzzes together.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:46 pm 
There Can Be Only One

Religion: Catholic
GKC wrote:
Highlander wrote:
GKC wrote:
Riverboat wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

Met 3 of the authors.

Hive buzzes together.

Stop being so succinct. And put on our galoshes.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:18 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Highlander wrote:
GKC wrote:
Highlander wrote:
GKC wrote:

Met 3 of the authors.

Hive buzzes together.

Stop being so succinct. And put on our galoshes.

Wet and wind are muy worrisome.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 3   [ 45 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3