Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What a different world today: Joe Pesci's SNL opening mono
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:15 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Roman Catholic
I remember this when it first aired. I don't recall too much uproar over it.
A week prior Sinead O'Connor had ripped up a photo of Pope John Paul II... that received a decent amount of coverage.
Even this fact alone is weird. A famous person ripping up a photo of a pope on tv wouldn't be nearly as scandalous as it was back in the early 90s.

Joe Pesci's monologue certainly would be a huge deal if it were to be played today.
Presents a 'fixed' picture of the pope.
Comments on wanting to smack Sinead.
Even talks about (in a lighthearted way) the importance of Columbus' Day.

I have no problem with anything he said. I just can't imagine what the fallout today would be if he were to do any of this. It certainly would eclipse any ripping of pope photos.

Here's the clip. You might have to wade through a commercial or two:

https://view.yahoo.com/show/saturday-ni ... -monologue

Post subject: Re: What a different world today: Joe Pesci's SNL opening mo
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:33 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
I was watching that when it happened. It wasn't that it was a huge controversy so much that she ripped up a picture of the Pope, it was also what she said when she did it ('fight the real enemy'). I suppose that was somewhat controversial in and of itself, but that isn't why she was banned from the show for life and why the clip was edited from broadcast and has never been reaired.

The reason why SNL was so desperate to try to distance themselves from it is that SNL is a very tightly scripted show. Lorne Michaels is something of a control freak, there is nothing he hates more than someone, especially a guest, ad-libbing on his show.

If you look at the history of SNL, everybody who ad libs gets banned. Milton Berle hosted once, spent the entire show deviating from the script and trying to steal everyone else's lines, and he got banned for life. Andrew Dice Clay hosted once, changed a few words in one sketch (albeit, he did replace the scripted dialogue with a string of profanities) and got banned for life.

Elvis Costello was the musical guest once and for his second song, he played a different song than the one that was planned (a comparatively minor offense you would think) and was banned for life.

Others who have banned from SNL for improvising or ad-libbing during the live show include

Adrien Brody
Martin Lawrence
Charles Grodin
Frank Zappa

You can understand why the executive producer of a show that is broadcast live would hate it when guests improvise, improvisation puts them completely outside the show's control, and you never know what might happen.