Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]   
Author Message
 Post subject: Bp. Robert Barron Owns Comments on YouTube Channel
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:21 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:12 pm
Posts: 8782
Religion: Catholic
https://churchpop.com/2018/01/06/11-tim ... e-channel/

*Language warning from comments.

_________________
"Our hearts were made for You, O Lord, and they are restless until they rest in you." - St. Augustine


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bp. Robert Barron Owns Comments on YouTube Channel
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:06 pm 
Offline
Paladin
Paladin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:12 am
Posts: 6499
Location: Filii Tonitrui
Religion: Catholic
Hmm, maybe Bishop Barron will respond if he is called out on his adherence to the false notion that Christ did not know He was the Messiah/duty as Messiah until He learned it later and the strange notion that we can have hope that hell is empty. Both false doctrines have been condemned by the Church. His Balthasarianism is a real problem.

_________________
-Alexander
"The proof of love is to suffer for the one you love." -St. Pio


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bp. Robert Barron Owns Comments on YouTube Channel
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:28 pm 
Offline
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:55 am
Posts: 76850
Location: 1.5532386636 radians
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
At least one of the comments appeared to be in regard to his Dare We Hope-ism.

_________________
Nos autem in nomine Domini Dei nostri

Need something to read?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bp. Robert Barron Owns Comments on YouTube Channel
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:40 pm 
Offline
Paladin
Paladin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:12 am
Posts: 6499
Location: Filii Tonitrui
Religion: Catholic
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
At least one of the comments appeared to be in regard to his Dare We Hope-ism.


They did a poor job it seems. Usually people over-react and say ":) he says we're all saved!!!" Then the defenders respond, "rofl, that's not what he says at all!" Which they are right.But. if you look into this issue from it's source: Balthasar and Speyr, it gets extremely close to saying all are saved. When Speyr entered the Church and made the profession of faith, she had to stop on on the part where it states outside the Church there is no salvation, she hesitated and could not say it (not sure if she eventually said it). Interesting stuff.

_________________
-Alexander
"The proof of love is to suffer for the one you love." -St. Pio


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bp. Robert Barron Owns Comments on YouTube Channel
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:14 pm 
Offline
Citizen
Citizen

Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:15 am
Posts: 131
Location: Diocese of Harrisburg
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: KoC, Legion of Mary
Alexandros wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
At least one of the comments appeared to be in regard to his Dare We Hope-ism.


They did a poor job it seems. Usually people over-react and say ":) he says we're all saved!!!" Then the defenders respond, "rofl, that's not what he says at all!" Which they are right.But. if you look into this issue from it's source: Balthasar and Speyr, it gets extremely close to saying all are saved. When Speyr entered the Church and made the profession of faith, she had to stop on on the part where it states outside the Church there is no salvation, she hesitated and could not say it (not sure if she eventually said it). Interesting stuff.


I came across that in one of his vids a while back and was so befuddled... Makes me less enthusiastic about seeing him talk.

_________________
Fiat justitia, et pereat mundus-Ferdinand I


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bp. Robert Barron Owns Comments on YouTube Channel
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:53 pm 
Offline
King of Cool

Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 1:30 pm
Posts: 74689
Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Alexandros wrote:
Both false doctrines have been condemned by the Church. His Balthasarianism is a real problem.


Von Balthazar's thesis in 'Dare We Hope' has never been condemned by the Church. In fact, defenders of that thesis appeal to the fact that Von Balthazar was named a cardinal, despite the fact that he advocated it, as evidence that his theory is orthodox.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bp. Robert Barron Owns Comments on YouTube Channel
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:22 am 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:37 am
Posts: 824
Location: NYC
Religion: Catholic
Though I've not watched a great many of Bishop Barron's YouTube videos, and I suppose I've watched less than two dozen, I find nearly all of the ones I've watched informative about Catholicism.

_________________
"Look not on our sins, but on the faith of your Church..."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bp. Robert Barron Owns Comments on YouTube Channel
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:58 pm 
Offline
Paladin
Paladin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:12 am
Posts: 6499
Location: Filii Tonitrui
Religion: Catholic
Doom wrote:
Alexandros wrote:
Both false doctrines have been condemned by the Church. His Balthasarianism is a real problem.


Von Balthazar's thesis in 'Dare We Hope' has never been condemned by the Church. In fact, defenders of that thesis appeal to the fact that Von Balthazar was named a cardinal, despite the fact that he advocated it, as evidence that his theory is orthodox.


I never said Balthasar's work was condemned by name. But, the very fact that we can have hope that all are saved is in fact condemned:

Syllabubs of Errors: 17. Good hope at least is to be entertained of the eternal salvation of all those who are not at all in the true Church of Christ. — Encyclical “Quanto conficiamur,” Aug. 10, 1863, etc.

Confirmed by Vatican II (not condemned, but more like an affirmation):

But often men, deceived by the Evil One, have become vain in their reasonings and have exchanged the truth of God for a lie, serving the creature rather than the Creator.(129) Or some there are who, living and dying in this world without God, are exposed to final despair. Wherefore to promote the glory of God and procure the salvation of all of these, and mindful of the command of the Lord, "Preach the Gospel to every creature",(130) the Church fosters the missions with care and attention. - Lumen Gentium 16

_________________
-Alexander
"The proof of love is to suffer for the one you love." -St. Pio


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bp. Robert Barron Owns Comments on YouTube Channel
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:29 pm 
Offline
Highness
Highness
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:36 am
Posts: 7467
Location: India
Religion: Syro Malabar Christian
Well, Judas Iscariot is in hell...

_________________
Prayers,
Jack3
South Indian Eastern Catholic teenager.

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bp. Robert Barron Owns Comments on YouTube Channel
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:42 pm 
Offline
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2002 10:54 am
Posts: 39460
Location: Ithilien
Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Jack3 wrote:
Well, Judas Iscariot is in hell...

The Balthasarians (along with many others) would deny that we can know that Judas is in hell.

_________________
Formerly Bagheera

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bp. Robert Barron Owns Comments on YouTube Channel
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:14 am 
Offline
Highness
Highness
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:36 am
Posts: 7467
Location: India
Religion: Syro Malabar Christian
Peregrinator wrote:
Jack3 wrote:
Well, Judas Iscariot is in hell...

The Balthasarians (along with many others) would deny that we can know that Judas is in hell.

Isn't there a collect in the usus antiquor which teaches that he is damned?

_________________
Prayers,
Jack3
South Indian Eastern Catholic teenager.

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]   


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


Jump to:  
cron