Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 3   [ 52 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: One for Fr. Kenobi
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:58 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
I haven't seen fuses in a house in a looooong time. All circuit breakers.

“We are moving toward a dictatorship of relativism which does not recognize anything as definitive and has as its highest value one's own ego and one's own desires... The church needs to withstand the tides of trends and the latest novelties.... We must become mature in this adult faith, we must guide the flock of Christ to this faith.”

“At times, power — including that of knowledge — blocks the path to encountering that child,” the Son of God, the savior of the world -Pope Benedict XVI

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:41 pm 
Eminent
Eminent

Religion: Католик
Older houses usually have a fuse box.

You may need to replace a fuse with same amps, a flashlight, and a rubber mat. Follow instructions as in the link below:

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/check-fuse ... 24841.html

Modern houses now use circuit breakers. You can easily see which circuit breaker to reset.

Abortion and infanticide are abominable crimes. (Gaudium et Spes, 51)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:55 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

gherkin wrote:
kage_ar wrote:
Doom wrote:
I have a box of replacement fuses under my sink right now, which I use whenever the power goes out, and the building I live in was built in 2001. Every summer, when it is hot and everyone in the building (except me) is running their air conditioner, the power goes out at least once and I have to go to the basement and replace the fuse to restore the power to my apartment.

Going without AC is the sign of severe mental illness.

I'd rather go without supper and have the AC on.

When we first moved to Virginia from up in yankeeland, we looked at a bunch of apartments around town, some of which did not have AC. I kept saying, "well, I mean, we don't really need AC, do we?" We did, in fact, wind up in an apartment with AC. I am so glad. I had no idea how essential it would become for me!

But up there in yankeeland, air conditioning is still fairly rare. OK, I don't know for sure how rare it is, honestly, but when I was a kid, nobody I knew had it. Nowadays, I think some people are getting it put in, but most of the people I still know up there don't have it. You really don't need it. Yes, it can get pretty hot, but evening comes and things really cool right down. And the really hot days are not common. You get an uncomfortable week or so every summer and that's that.

Military housing at Aliamanu Military Reservation (Honolulu, Hawaii) had air conditioners but no furnace.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:00 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
gherkin wrote:
Peregrinator wrote:
That might be the case in say, Vermont, but down here in PA and NJ the humidity is such that it doesn't cool down much in the evening - or at least not to a point at which one is comfortable. We don't have central air but we do have window units.

Yeah, you're pretty far to the south of the north. I think Doom's closer to the north of the north.

We lived in mid-OH for a few years before moving to VA. Yes, it was much hotter and stickier in OH than it had been way up north, and actually we bought a window unit for our bedroom while we were there.

My wife and I are up on the 3rd floor (converted attic) and we roast up there without the AC. Of course, during the winter it gets colder than the rest of the house.

I've had the opportunity to spend a couple of weeks in Canada over the summer and let me tell you, that is the place to be. The temperature might reach 90 during the day but it's a cool 50 at night.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:23 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
I live in this poor corner of the world and my house has MCB. :fyi:

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:07 am 
There Can Be Only One

1HCaAC wrote:
Military housing at Aliamanu Military Reservation (Honolulu, Hawaii) had air conditioners but no furnace.

Military housing at Camp Kuwae, Okinawa, had air conditioners. Of course, the residents had no control over them. The base Civil Engineers would turn them on and turn them off annually -- and lock the thermostat -- according to their rather arbitrary schedule. And according to the military dictate of how "comfortable" was defined. And, BTW, we could not open our windows ... they were sealed .... because we had air conditioning.

I think we got the A/C turned on when the interior temperature was 12 degrees above Hades. Sometime in mid-June. And it got turned off when the outside temperature got below Mt. Vesuvius lava. Sometime in early September.

We used to sleep on the floor downstairs until the A/C got turned on. And again when it got turned off.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

Last edited by Highlander on Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:07 am 
There Can Be Only One

Jack3 wrote:

I'll bite. MCB?

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:42 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Highlander wrote:
1HCaAC wrote:

Military housing at Camp Kuwae, Okinawa, had air conditioners. Of course, the residents had no control over them. The base Civil Engineers would turn them on and turn them off annually -- and lock the thermostat -- according to their rather arbitrary schedule. And according to the military dictate of how "comfortable" was defined. And, BTW, we could not open our windows ... they were sealed .... because we had air conditioning.

I think we got the A/C turned on when the interior temperature was 12 degrees above Hades. Sometime in mid-June. And it got turned off when the outside temperature got below Mt. Vesuvius lava. Sometime in early September.

We used to sleep on the floor downstairs until the A/C got turned on. And again when it got turned off.

Fortunately, ours was individually controlled.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:47 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Circuit breakers are a result of greedy corporations. If a circuit breaker goes bad, it costs at least 20 bucks to replace whereas a blown fuse only costs a penny to fix.

“We are moving toward a dictatorship of relativism which does not recognize anything as definitive and has as its highest value one's own ego and one's own desires... The church needs to withstand the tides of trends and the latest novelties.... We must become mature in this adult faith, we must guide the flock of Christ to this faith.”

“At times, power — including that of knowledge — blocks the path to encountering that child,” the Son of God, the savior of the world -Pope Benedict XVI

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:17 pm 
Corporate Minion Moderator
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Highlander wrote:
Jack3 wrote:

I'll bite. MCB?

Malabar Circuit Breakers. Different from what we're used to, but still in full communion with a standard breaker box.

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:27 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Molecular and Cellular Biology
Monochlorobenzene
Miniature circuit breaker
Marine Corps Base Quantico

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:40 pm 
There Can Be Only One

Oorah!

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:25 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Highlander wrote:
1HCaAC wrote:

Edwards AFB. Swamp coolers.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:43 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Chris G wrote:
Circuit breakers are a result of greedy corporations. If a circuit breaker goes bad, it costs at least 20 bucks to replace whereas a blown fuse only costs a penny to fix.

How many fuses will blow in the time it takes one circuit breaker to go bad? The life expectancy of a circuit breaker is 30-40 years. I don't think I've ever even seen one replaced short of replacing the whole panel.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:48 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Peregrinator wrote:
Chris G wrote:

How many fuses will blow in the time it takes one circuit breaker to go bad? The life expectancy of a circuit breaker is 30-40 years. I don't think I've ever even seen one replaced short of replacing the whole panel.

I wasn't being serious. Using a penny is the old standby burn your house down method to circumvent a fuse.

I've never had to replace any of my circuit breakers but I've never lived in the same house for more than 11 years so I don't know how long they last but I suspect 30-40 years is believable.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:41 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Chris G wrote:
Peregrinator wrote:
Chris G wrote:

I wasn't being serious. Using a penny is the old standby burn your house down method to circumvent a fuse.

I've never had to replace any of my circuit breakers but I've never lived in the same house for more than 11 years so I don't know how long they last but I suspect 30-40 years is believable.

50 years is quite believable. It was so in two houses I own.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:31 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Mostly Corny Baloney or
Maximum Career Burnout

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:46 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Highlander wrote:
Jack3 wrote:

I'll bite. MCB?

Miniature circuit breaker.

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:49 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Mrs. Timmy wrote:
Highlander wrote:
Jack3 wrote:

I'll bite. MCB?

Malabar Circuit Breakers. Different from what we're used to, but still in full communion with a standard breaker box.

:cloud9:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:21 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
Jack3 wrote:
Highlander wrote:
Jack3 wrote:

I'll bite. MCB?

Miniature circuit breaker.

Heightist

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 3   [ 52 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next