Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: GKC's Word of the Day
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:59 am 
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Tsundoku: the practice of buying more books than you can read. https://www.treehugger.com/cleaning-org ... -read.html

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

Post subject: Re: GKC's Word of the Day
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:18 pm 

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
:bump

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:23 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Mrs. Timmy wrote:
:bump

That is a very nice site. And describes me in more than one way. Mr. Newton, quoted in para 1, is doubtless a sincere neophyte, but I am more at the level of grand exalted high Poo-Ba. Still 10,000 books is a good start. But the author speaks of a stack of books by the bed, and an aspiration/determination to read every night and weekend. A stack of books by the bed bespeaks a dilettante and the ironic laughter confirms it. Perhaps she will mature. At least her penultimate para shows the true spirit, though I still lift an eyebrow at the single stack in the ultimate one.

I am not sure I would separate the terms tsundoku and bibliomania as her quoted authority does. Certainly I indulge in both in a seamless fashion.

Which leads to bibliophile-talk. It may not be generally known that I collect Chesterton. For about 55 years. I have no expectation of ever acquiring a complete Chesterton collection, but with a selected definition of what I might find to represent closure (no way I'll get even everything generally published by him; too many "Best Of/Selected/Stories/Poems/ Essays/Omnibuses and too many surprise items can show up in limited editions. One does what one can. But under the definition that my collection is to include all of his work published for general public consumption, and closing my eyes to exceptions. I am about 2 volumes away from what will satisfy my minimum requirements. Upon which, I will expand my needs.

And another from the world of the terminally book-obsessed. My child, raised in, among, and on books, collects on her own (reads electrons too, don't know how that happened), visited me a few months ago. She has had an interest in a topic that is peripherally related to a topic that I collect obsessively. Has borrowed books on that periphery before. Sometimes I get them back. On the recent visit, she identified a couple of books she would like to run off with, from that same penumbra of one of my obsessive reading/collecting areas, which shall not be named. Then expanded beyond that, deep into the heart of my central collection. Total, around 50+ books.

Well, what can a dad do? I said sure. I'd even send them when they were called for.

I plotted. Some titles were still in print, and available for retail prices. Some of them I had duplicates of (another sign of bibliomania) So, as I looked at the 40 or so titles still vulnerable, I did the only logical thing. I abandoned my aversion to shopping on line, researched Amazon's used book market, slowly entered that world, and accumulated all 40+ books needed, over about 2 months. Plus some others for me, and for the wife...and it is now on-going. Just what I needed. Another enabling source. And my collection is not diminished, but enhanced.

I think everyone should acquire books, in as nutty a fashion as I do. Tsundoku forever.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:51 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Religion: Catholic
GKC, I found Jack McD on Kindle. :cloud9:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:06 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Signum Crucis wrote:

I am happy for you.

I got him on paper.

Haven't seen him in 3-4 years

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:18 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

GKC wrote:
Signum Crucis wrote:

I am happy for you.

I got him on paper.

Haven't seen him in 3-4 years

I've worn my paper versions out. :crying:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:19 am 
There Can Be Only One

Let me start by poking the beast. I finished and discarded a book on the Battle(s) of Cassino yesterday.

On-line is wonderful. I recently sent my elder a book on the prelude to WWII -- used, via Amazon. Yesterday, two unexpected books arrived, from Amazon. They address the China-Burma-India theatre (by Slim) and on Wedemeyer's planning efforts prior to that war. You see how books multiply? I gift one and receive two.

But I defer to GKC. My books, however, numerous are limited to 11 bookcases, several boxes and crates in the garage and about 10 stacks on the floor of the room we call the Library. Plus about four stacks next to my easy chair. I do, however, have all my books in one building. Some people need more than one building.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:17 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Highlander wrote:
Let me start by poking the beast. I finished and discarded a book on the Battle(s) of Cassino yesterday.

On-line is wonderful. I recently sent my elder a book on the prelude to WWII -- used, via Amazon. Yesterday, two unexpected books arrived, from Amazon. They address the China-Burma-India theatre (by Slim) and on Wedemeyer's planning efforts prior to that war. You see how books multiply? I gift one and receive two.

But I defer to GKC. My books, however, numerous are limited to 11 bookcases, several boxes and crates in the garage and about 10 stacks on the floor of the room we call the Library. Plus about four stacks next to my easy chair. I do, however, have all my books in one building. Some people need more than one building.

Behold he who induced me into on-line ordering, to acquire those 40+ titles mentioned above. Enabling, I calls it.

I learned long ago the lamentable limitations on your library resources. And self-imposed, too. And I adjusted my actions accordingly. That being said, the next inevitable annual box will contain two...objects, doubled wrapped. Each will be marked with an identifying number and a matching numbered, sealed envelope will be securely affixed there-to. In each envelope will be information, descriptions, possible actions, and requests, if some possible actions are selected, related to the respective objects. I will discuss this later, back-channel.

What is the Wedemeyer book? Is the Slim DEFEAT INTO VICTORY?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:58 pm 
There Can Be Only One

Slim -- yes. The other: An Unknown Future and a Doubtful Present: Writing the Victory Plan of 1941. USA Military History office.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!