Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 3   [ 41 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: There is a lot I don't know...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:37 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Can I quote from a book by Michael D. O'Brien "The Apocalypse...Warning, Hope, and Consolation"
without breaking any rules? The quote is seven lines.

Post subject: Re: There is a lot I don't know...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:15 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Why not, you big teaser?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:03 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

St. Irenaeus of Lyons wrote:
Why not, you big teaser?

:) I may sound like a teaser, but in many ways I am unsure of myself. Now I will quote what I want to...thanks for your encouragement!

From the insightful book by Michael D. O'Brien "The Apocalypse...Warning, Hope, & Consolation"

page 67 "In this land we have overwhelmingly neglected the transcendent, with all the demands of its moral absolutes, and instead have more and more projected the false notion that serving the poor and laboring for justice is, in and of itself, the Gospels. It goes without saying that sacrifice and energy must be turned toward serving the poor and working for justice, but this must not be done at the expense of truth. Such service is an essential part of the new evangelization, yet it can never be the whole of it."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. I don't understand about 3/4 of what I read here on the forum (I try to) because I have no degrees in theology, philosophy, etc.,. I do think I understand what I need to understand. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:10 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

As teachers used to say in public school, it's easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:35 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

:)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:37 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I will comment on the quote I chose.

I understood Michael D. O'Brien to make the point that there is a lot of volunteers in many parishes who visit people at nursing homes. help at soup kitchens, become ccd teachers, Eucharistic ministers, and so on.

However, a large number of Catholics do not accept all the moral teachings, (no contraception or abortion).... or dogmas of faith (the Eucharist being the Real Presence, etc.)

So, just like it is said that faith without works is not enough, isn't it so that works without faith is not enough?

Is it poor catechesis? Not enough prayer? or just living in this culture? Or perhaps all three that brings this about?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:25 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Church Affiliations: KoC
The problem with not accepting the moral teachings can be attributed to many causes. How much you believe each cause had an effect is a matter of opinion. You can blame causes from direct evil intervention, the misuse of Vatican II, the after effects of WWII, the Greatest and Boomer generations, all the way down to the USSR infiltrating the Church with homosexual priests depending on how much you like conspiracy theories.

I believe it boils down to the age old problem of not teaching the children. We (laity and clergy) not passing down what should have been passed. I am just glad I was of the generation that started to realize what the previous generations were letting go and I hope that I can help the younger ones recover what was lost.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:17 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Thank you for your input Will.

Your last paragraph says it all....parents need to be the primary teachers and examples to their children.

And, it is never too late to be of help to our grown children....love and prayer helps much.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:44 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Looking for answers
Dorothy B. wrote:

I understood Michael D. O'Brien to make the point that there is a lot of volunteers in many parishes who visit people at nursing homes. help at soup kitchens, become ccd teachers, Eucharistic ministers, and so on.

However, a large number of Catholics do not accept all the moral teachings, (no contraception or abortion).... or dogmas of faith (the Eucharist being the Real Presence, etc.)

So, just like it is said that faith without works is not enough, isn't it so that works without faith is not enough?

Is it poor catechesis? Not enough prayer? or just living in this culture? Or perhaps all three that brings this about?
Dorothy, you suggest that "works without faith is not enough", and then you suggest that what you mean by "faith" is dogmatic teachings such as "the Eucharist being the Real Presense". I think it would be a very narrow attitude to believe that anyone who doesn't believe in the Real Presense of the Eucharist doesn't have faith. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "faith", in the context of "faith without works is not enough". I hope you don't think that the only people who have "faith" are the people who believe exactly what you believe.

What motivates people to do good works if not faith?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:11 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Denise Dee wrote:
Dorothy B. wrote:

Dorothy, you suggest that "works without faith is not enough", and then you suggest that what you mean by "faith" is dogmatic teachings such as "the Eucharist being the Real Presense". I think it would be a very narrow attitude to believe that anyone who doesn't believe in the Real Presense of the Eucharist doesn't have faith. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "faith", in the context of "faith without works is not enough". I hope you don't think that the only people who have "faith" are the people who believe exactly what you believe.

Denise, I was making the point to Catholics who go to Mass every Sunday and believe that they can obey what they want to obey and disregard the moral teachings of the Church (contraception and abortion, among others) and think that it is okay.

I cannot judge others who are Christians that do not believe in the Real Presence. I have heard Catholics tell me that they do not take seriously the teaching of the Real Presence at Mass. And, then I hear the statistics that come back from questionnaires that say there is a large amount of Catholics who do not believe that.

A lack of obedience, prayerfulness, and adherence to all the teachings among some clergy and congregation is what got us in this mess we are in now.

It will be worked out in time with much prayer, suffering and sacrifice made.

I deeply admire all non-Catholics that take their faith seriously and live a prayerful Christian life. They are an example to me.

Peace,

Dorothy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:25 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Pray for those lacking in faith.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:48 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Yes! :pray:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:55 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
Denise Dee wrote:
Dorothy B. wrote:

St Thomas Aquinas, Adoro te Devote:

Visus, tactus, gustus in te fallitur,
    Sed auditu solo tuto creditur.
    Credo quidquid dixit Dei Filius;
    Nil hoc verbo Veritátis verius

(Sight, touch, taste are all deceived in their judgment of you,
    But hearing suffices firmly to believe.
    I believe all that the Son of God has spoken;
    There is nothing truer than this word of Truth
    .)

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:19 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Jack3 wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
Dorothy B. wrote:

St Thomas Aquinas, Adoro te Devote:

Visus, tactus, gustus in te fallitur,
    Sed auditu solo tuto creditur.
    Credo quidquid dixit Dei Filius;
    Nil hoc verbo Veritátis verius

There is nothing truer than this word of Truth
    .)

Jack, I have no idea as to how your post is relevant to this discussion.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:22 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Dorothy B. wrote:
Denise Dee wrote:
Dorothy B. wrote:

Denise, I was making the point to Catholics who go to Mass every Sunday and believe that they can obey what they want to obey and disregard the moral teachings of the Church (contraception and abortion, among others) and think that it is okay.

I cannot judge others who are Christians that do not believe in the Real Presence. I have heard Catholics tell me that they do not take seriously the teaching of the Real Presence at Mass. And, then I hear the statistics that come back from questionnaires that say there is a large amount of Catholics who do not believe that.

A lack of obedience, prayerfulness, and adherence to all the teachings among some clergy and congregation is what got us in this mess we are in now.

It will be worked out in time with much prayer, suffering and sacrifice made.

I deeply admire all non-Catholics that take their faith seriously and live a prayerful Christian life. They are an example to me.

Peace,

Dorothy

I understand your concerns, Dorothy. I think it depends on which way you look at things. Is the glass half empty or half full? On the one hand you see Catholics who go to Mass every Sunday, who visit people at nursing homes, help at soup kitchens, etc, but who do not adhere to all Catholic teachings. But at least they are going to Mass every Sunday, and visiting people at nursing homes, helping at soup kitchens, etc. Perhaps that's a great step forward towards God for those Catholics, and God rejoices over everyone who turns to him without waiting for them to be perfect first, as illustrated in the parable of the Prodigal Son.

As for the Eucharist being the Real Presence, that's a difficult teaching for anyone to understand, and it's not easy to believe something you don't understand. It's easier to simply say you don't believe it if you don't understand it. I don't think I understand the Real Presence. I understand that there is no physical presence of the body or blood of Jesus in the communion bread or wine, and I understand that God is in everything, so I don't understand how the Eucharist contains the body and blood of Jesus in a way that is not physical and is not the same as God being in everything.

Whether or not you understand how the Eucharist is the Real Presense, Dorothy, and how this differs from Anglican beliefs about the Eucharist, I don't think you should be too harsh on those who don't understand it and therefore don't necessarily believe it. It is a difficult doctrine.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:26 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

There is nothing truer than this word of Truth.)

As rendered in one of my favorite hymns:

Taste and touch and vision
to discern Thee fail
Faith that comes by hearing
Pierces through the veil.

I believe whatever the Son of God has told.
What the Truth has spoken,
That for Truth I hold.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:05 pm 
Potty Hollerer
Potty Hollerer

Denise Dee wrote:
... As for the Eucharist being the Real Presence, that's a difficult teaching for anyone to understand, and it's not easy to believe something you don't understand. It's easier to simply say you don't believe it if you don't understand it. I don't think I understand the Real Presence. I understand that there is no physical presence of the body or blood of Jesus in the communion bread or wine, and I understand that God is in everything, so I don't understand how the Eucharist contains the body and blood of Jesus in a way that is not physical and is not the same as God being in everything.

Whether or not you understand how the Eucharist is the Real Presense, Dorothy, and how this differs from Anglican beliefs about the Eucharist, I don't think you should be too harsh on those who don't understand it and therefore don't necessarily believe it. It is a difficult doctrine.

You may find it helpful to understand the Real Presence as 'substantially' present, which also distinguishes from 'not the same as God being in everything.'

I don't ever find our gentle Dorothy to be harsh. In this instance I believe she is only wondering, or asking.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:45 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

"and how this differs from Anglican beliefs about the Eucharist,..."

Which are what, exactly?

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:08 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
"Exactly" and "Anglican" can be a dicey combination.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:27 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Notnew wrote:

I don't ever find our gentle Dorothy to be harsh. In this instance I believe she is only wondering, or asking.

I agree.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 3   [ 41 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next