Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 30 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Morality of crosswalk buttons
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:18 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
kage_ar wrote:
Doom wrote:
kage_ar wrote:
Pedestrians have the right-of-way here.

Pedestrians have the right of way everywhere, that doesn't mean that it's smart to dart out in front of oncoming traffic, if you want to commit suicide there are more efficient means to do it.....

Here it is enforced. We got a ticket (as did 5 other cars) because someone put one foot off the curb - not in a cross walk, they were hidden behind a van, but, they were still considered to have the right of way.

That was an example of a police officer desperately wanting to give a ticket rather than a real offense, I would have challenged it in court....

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:45 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
kage_ar wrote:
Here it is enforced. We got a ticket (as did 5 other cars) because someone put one foot off the curb - not in a cross walk, they were hidden behind a van, but, they were still considered to have the right of way.

Wait, so the person wasn't even in traffic, but only had his or her foot off the curb, behind a van?

Absolutely laughable that a police officer would give out a ticket for that "offense."

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:23 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
Bagheera wrote:
kage_ar wrote:

Wait, so the person wasn't even in traffic, but only had his or her foot off the curb, behind a van?

Absolutely laughable that a police officer would give out a ticket for that "offense."

Yep, they stepped off the curb in front of a parked grey mini-van.

The cops were there stopping people right and left for failure to yield - it felt like a set up.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:25 pm 
King of Cool

kage_ar wrote:
Bagheera wrote:
kage_ar wrote:

The cops were there stopping people right and left for failure to yield - it felt like a set up.

And you didn't challenge it in court?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:33 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Doom wrote:
kage_ar wrote:
Bagheera wrote:
kage_ar wrote:

This is a tourist town. The only source of revenue is those jaywalking tourists.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:35 pm 
King of Cool

kage_ar wrote:
Doom wrote:
kage_ar wrote:
Bagheera wrote:
kage_ar wrote:

This is a tourist town. The only source of revenue is those jaywalking tourists.

You have a legal right to a trial on every single charge, including tickets. Seriously don't get bend over and let the government screw you, fight back.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:03 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Doom wrote:

You have a legal right to a trial on every single charge, including tickets. Seriously don't get bend over and let the government screw you, fight back.

Well, this is a regular happening in our town, every local has at least one ticket for failure to stop downtown.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:44 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
Bagheera wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
gherkin wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
Bagheera wrote:
Only someone who is enslaved to the American car mentality would even ask the question of whether it is immoral for a pedestrian to make drivers wait. :P

Only a yankee could make such an asinine statement.

Only a Texan could confuse a near-southerner like dcs with a yankee. dcs's state touches the mason dixon line. He's no yankee. :fyi:

:laughhard

gherkin is correct as regards the traditional use of the term. It was originally limited to descendents of English settlers in New England. Since I am not from New England, nor even primarily of English descent, I am not a Yankee. Of course, to a European I am a Yankee, but then so is virtually everyone else in this forum.

To a European? To pretty much the rest of the world!

Sorry folks, y'all are yankees. :mrgreen:

"We never give more honour to Jesus than when we honour his Mother, and we honour her simply and solely to honour him all the more perfectly. We go to her only as a way leading to the goal we seek - Jesus, her Son."
-Saint Louis Marie de Montfort

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:30 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
kage, that seriously sounds like "class action lawsuit" time. That has been done in California against the abuse of redlight cameras. In one case over 10,000 tickets were overturned.

As far as those crosswalks that stop the entire intersection. Those are absolutely retarded, stupid, unnecessarily destructive of traffic flow. Only a moron would design such a thing. I was very stubborn in Berkeley about not jaywalking, as in Berkeley and San Francisco it happens constantly (hint if traffic stopped every time, it would never ever move). Hence the high rate of pedestrian fatalities because these f#%@&&& idiots who go "well, golly gee willikers, I have the right of way" don't do that math. I refused to give into that stupidity. Move them to So Cal and do that and they would be run down in no time flat.

But when I was back East one intersection by me had that (let's stop traffic in every direction for one guy)-retarded system. Used it once. Why back people up for a minute so that moi can cross. If I cross on green, when clear, it is just as safe and I don't hold up everyone.

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:03 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
Please don't use the word "retarded" in that way. Thanks.

"The time will come when people will not tolerate sound doctrine, but, following their own desires, will surround themselves with teachers who tickle their ears. They will stop listening to the truth and will wander off to fables" (2 Tm 4:3-4).

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 30 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2