Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gregorian Chant and Classical Music
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:27 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: Cursillo & KofC
Over the last three years I have more exclusively started listening to these forms of music. It seems a little odd, and no one I personally know is into this music. Sure, I have plenty of friends that prefer Gregorian Chant in liturgy. I have gotten to the point that when I put rock or country music on, it drives me mad in just moments. When I smoke cigars, I do listen to some jam band stuff, and other rock. But even that is becoming less enjoyable, and I expect that the chant and classical music will take over in that area as well. Has anyone here gone through a similar transition?

Post subject: Re: Gregorian Chant and Classical Music
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:33 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
I almost wonder if a casual listening to Gregorian chant isn't irreverent....it's something sacred and should be treated as something sacred....that's why I cannot imagine listening to sacred music while running or lifting weights or whatnot....

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:41 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Servant of Guadalupe wrote:
Over the last three years I have more exclusively started listening to these forms of music. It seems a little odd, and no one I personally know is into this music. Sure, I have plenty of friends that prefer Gregorian Chant in liturgy. I have gotten to the point that when I put rock or country music on, it drives me mad in just moments. When I smoke cigars, I do listen to some jam band stuff, and other rock. But even that is becoming less enjoyable, and I expect that the chant and classical music will take over in that area as well. Has anyone here gone through a similar transition?

I still enjoy some popular music, but in smaller and smaller doses. I do not smoke cigars, so I cannot comment on that aspect. :)

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:49 pm 
Adept
Adept

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Servant of Guadalupe wrote:

I still enjoy some popular music, but in smaller and smaller doses. I do not smoke cigars, so I cannot comment on that aspect. :)

Yeah, that is pretty much what is going on. I will get the urge to listen to some specific songs, and then I will be done with the urge. I usually only change to a rock station if I have others in my vehicle with me. I will often ask them if classical music bothers them, and then go to the classical station. It is funny because I used to not be able to stand classical music.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:55 pm 
Adept
Adept

Doom wrote:
I almost wonder if a casual listening to Gregorian chant isn't irreverent....it's something sacred and should be treated as something sacred....that's why I cannot imagine listening to sacred music while running or lifting weights or whatnot....

I disagree. There is nothing irreverent about it. It disposes one toward the eternal. As for working out… I usually listen to Zig Ziglar or some other motivational speaker… or university courses from TCM or TTC. I have nearly all of the courses they produce or once produced.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:44 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

There is nothing better then Beethoven and a glass of red wine.
I was a metal head in my teens, classical music just seemed like the natural progression.
These days, classical type stuff is all I really listen to, every now and again I may listen to the radio or go to the pub for the music though.

edit: Just like you guys, I just stopped listening to other stuff, slowly.

"I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are wise and very beautiful; but I have never read in either of them: Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden." ~ St. Augustine.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:58 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic soon
I've always loved opera, mainly because I'm a ginormous snob.

Ecclesiastical classical music has grown on me to where I might like it better than opera now.

I still love popular songs from the Victorian period to the Fifties, though. I like jaunty, happy tunes.

I also can't abide music without singing, so that might have kept me from indulging too much in pure classicism.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:26 am 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
I love classical music, but can't stand classical music radio stations. They're run by liberals and they play the worst music. Pandora has suited me well. I have several classical channels and a Gregorian Chant channel as well.

- Justice Scalia, dissent, King v. Burwell.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:30 am 
Board Administrator
Board Administrator

That's why I subscribe to XM. Classical radio in my car without the claptrap of NPR.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:03 pm 
Adept
Adept

Zeno wrote:
That's why I subscribe to XM. Classical radio in my car without the claptrap of NPR.

Here, the classical station is always classical, so I am good!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:18 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: OCDS
Zeno wrote:

Exactly!!!!

Servant:
Yup. Husband is the chant champ here. I do occassionally and furtively listen to my classical rock, but the more you indulge in classical music the harder it is to go back....

The image of the Mother of God demonstrates the basic spiritual attitude which corresponds to woman’s natural vocation; her relation to her husband is one of obedience, trust, and participation in his life as she furthers his objective tasks and personality development; to the child she gives true care, encouragement, and formation of his God-given talents; she offers both selfless surrender and a quiet withdrawal when unneeded. -
Edith Stein

Formerly Sunmumy.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:21 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Been listening to more and more classical as the years go by. Even my 22 y/o dd indulges occasionally. The classical station in my area that I enjoy just plays music, and does't torture me with NPResque garbage. They've broadened my horizons considerably.

I've bought some versions of sacred music, such as instrumental renditions of liturgical music. I also picked up the soundtrack to the Catholicism series by Fr. Barron. Very nice.

I still like some of my secular stuff, but I know what you're getting at.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:25 pm 
Master
Master

I'm on a downward glide path too...more folk/singer song writer now. On occasion I'll throw on something heavy, but not nearly as often.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:38 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I just got a ukulele!

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:52 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
I grew up hearing my Dad play the violin; he very much liked classical music. He was a car mechanic, music was his avocation.

I never liked rock music, preferring slow sung songs, and a few fun folk songs that my Dad played on the guitar when friends got together.

Now I very much like Gregorian chant, Byzantine chant, classical music cd's that I pick up at rummage sales, John Michael Talbot, and the latest CD recommended by a priest "The Armed Man: A Mass for Peace" composed by Karl Jenkins. The priest had played about five minutes from that CD at a one-day retreat he gave.