Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 26 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: The movie 'Fresh'
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:05 am 

Religion: Catholic
http://www.freshthemovie.com/

Must see for anyone interested in food/health! It's excellent!

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

Post subject: Re: The movie 'Fresh'
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:01 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
Will have to look for that one.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:07 am 

I got it from Netflix so I'd imagine it's online free too.

Great program.

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:26 am 
Master
Master

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd degree KofC
Now I'm hungry. This is eye-opening and it makes me think about the food I feed to my family.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:31 am 

The fact that it can be done (feeding large amounts of people sans corp. farming practices), ...the fact that it's being done and that is pushed to the side is very frustrating. I get frustrated with people (consumers) who choose to ignore it as well. It is the consumer that can force change.

SV

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:55 am 
Master
Master

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd degree KofC
St Veronica wrote:
The fact that it can be done (feeding large amounts of people sans corp. farming practices), ...the fact that it's being done and that is pushed to the side is very frustrating. I get frustrated with people (consumers) who choose to ignore it as well. It is the consumer that can force change.

SV

I would find this be a daunting task to undertake. I mean, where would one start? I have to consider my budget, you know?

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:07 pm 

Well it starts with growing whatever you can on your own even if you live in a city, further by supporting or starting community gardens ....and buying as much local as you can from farmers markets etc.

If you watched the movie you saw the community garden.

SV

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:24 pm 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
Quote:
we believe that FRESH can truly help get us to a tipping point, when sustainable food will no longer be just a niche market

What is "sustainable food"?

- Justice Scalia, dissent, King v. Burwell.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:27 pm 

Bombadil wrote:
Quote:
we believe that FRESH can truly help get us to a tipping point, when sustainable food will no longer be just a niche market

What is "sustainable food"?

Have you heard of Salatin? He raises animals using a sustainable food system. Pretty much the opposite of corporate farming.

SV

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:55 pm 
The Exterminator

It sounds like a loaded term to me. Regular farming is pretty sustainable, as evidenced by the continuing harvests reaped on those lands in sustained, if not increasing, quantities. The people who own the land try not to ruin it. Makes sense.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:59 pm 

Bombadil wrote:
It sounds like a loaded term to me. Regular farming is pretty sustainable, as evidenced by the continuing harvests reaped on those lands in sustained, if not increasing, quantities. The people who own the land try not to ruin it. Makes sense.

Andy you obviously have no concept of what they do to get the yields out of growing one or two crops over and over. The chemicals, the GMO grains for starters. You are not stupid, educate yourself.

SV

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:00 pm 
The Exterminator

Quote:
Buy local products when possible, otherwise, buy organic and fair-trade products. Ask your grocer or favorite restaurant what local food they carry and try to influence their purchasing decisions. You will support your local economy and small farmers, reduce your exposure to harmful pesticides, improve the taste and quality of your food, and protect the environment from fertilizer and pesticide run-offs.

Most of the points made above are purple duckies. :fyi:

Locally grown vegetables will probably have just as much, if not more, fertilizer and pesticide use. It also likely won't taste any better or be of higher quality most of the time. Also, it sometimes isn't quite "local". I've seen people travel long distances, sometimes one to three hundred miles to sell produce, mostly melons and cantaloupe, but also corn and other vegetables, and canned goods also.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:02 pm 

You are wrong. Many small farmers use organic non-pesticide methods. Go study Polyface Farm. Salatin has multiple books out explaining exactly how it is being done.

SV

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:04 pm 
The Exterminator

St Veronica wrote:
You are wrong. Many small farmers use organic non-pesticide methods. Go study Polyface Farm. Salatin has multiple books out explaining exactly how it is being done.

SV

And you have no way of knowing that when you go buy stuff at the farmer's market. I would not assume that's what any of them do, I would assume that they do what makes them the most money.

Also, unlike the corporate farms, they are unmonitored and unregulated. They could have hosed all that stuff down with pesticide yesterday with malathion. A corporate farm on the other hand would use a pyrethroid that would have been gone very fast and be restricted on when they could harvest it afterward.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:08 pm 

Bombadil wrote:
St Veronica wrote:

SV

And you have no way of knowing that when you go buy stuff at the farmer's market. I would not assume that's what any of them do, I would assume that they do what makes them the most money.

That's why you buy from local people. If you don't take people at their word then fine ask to come see their farm. You can observe their practices yourself. It's not about the money for many of these people. They strongly believe in growing using organic non-chemical methods. They do have ethnics and morals.

SV

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:11 pm 
The Exterminator

St Veronica wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
St Veronica wrote:

SV

That's why you buy from local people. If you don't take people at their word then fine ask to come see their farm. You can observe their practices yourself. It's not about the money for many of these people. They strongly believe in growing using organic non-chemical methods. They do have ethnics and morals.

SV

Sorry, but I know of so very few people that principled. To think that the vast majority of people selling produce at farmer's markets or otherwise being local distributors have chosen to do so simply because they want to help people have good, fresh food that was grown organically with no mind to the money they make is something I can't ascribe to.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:12 pm 

Bombadil wrote:
St Veronica wrote:

SV

Also, unlike the corporate farms, they are unmonitored and unregulated. They could have hosed all that stuff down with pesticide yesterday with malathion. A corporate farm on the other hand would use a pyrethroid that would have been gone very fast and be restricted on when they could harvest it afterward.

What the heck are you babbling about? Organic farms are inspected. You are naive if you think that's all corporate farms are using and you aren't even addressing the issue of GMO seeds. You continue to eat Bt Corn if you like, feed it to your pregnant wife and ignore the reports out there about Bt in pregnant women. Stay in ignorance...I hear it's bliss.

SV

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:14 pm 

Bombadil wrote:
St Veronica wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
St Veronica wrote:

SV

SV

Sorry, but I know of so very few people that principled. To think that the vast majority of people selling produce at farmer's markets or otherwise being local distributors have chosen to do so simply because they want to help people have good, fresh food that was grown organically with no mind to the money they make is something I can't ascribe to.

Then don't. Grow your own food and know what's in it. If are to uncaring to go check out the farms yourself to determine their principals and ethnics there's not much else to be done.

SV

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:57 pm 
The Exterminator

St Veronica wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
St Veronica wrote:

SV

What the heck are you babbling about? Organic farms are inspected. You are naive if you think that's all corporate farms are using and you aren't even addressing the issue of GMO seeds. You continue to eat Bt Corn if you like, feed it to your pregnant wife and ignore the reports out there about Bt in pregnant women. Stay in ignorance...I hear it's bliss.

SV

So you're telling me that the vendors at the local farmer's market are inspected by someone? Who? What are the criteria upon which they are judged prior to being allowed to sell their products and what is the reinspection frequency?

There is an inherent level of safety that you get from corporate farms that you don't get from some yahoo with an acre and a plow. For the most part, they will obey the law as to what pesticides they can use and how soon to harvest they may use them. If I'm just buying some squash off the rack at the farmer's market, the dood standing there could be calling it organic and may have hosed it down with malathion yesterday.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:02 pm 

Bombadil wrote:
St Veronica wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
St Veronica wrote:

SV

SV

So you're telling me that the vendors at the local farmer's market are inspected by someone? Who? What are the criteria upon which they are judged prior to being allowed to sell their products and what is the reinspection frequency?

There is an inherent level of safety that you get from corporate farms that you don't get from some yahoo with an acre and a plow. For the most part, they will obey the law as to what pesticides they can use and how soon to harvest they may use them. If I'm just buying some squash off the rack at the farmer's market, the dood standing there could be calling it organic and may have hosed it down with malathion yesterday.

Yes I am. It's done here. Before a person can sell at the farmer's market they are inspected and if you aren't doing what you say you are then you don't get to sell there.. Further to use the word Organic to sell goods you have to meet the USDA guidelines and be inspected by state inspectors.

There's an inherent level of safety you get from a small farmer. If they get shut down due to illnesses they probably won't recover, they will likely lose everything.. Unlike corporate farms. There have been deaths in the past year from produce and meat from corporate farms. They paid the fines and moved on. No one shut them down and you are probably still eating their products.

If you don't trust what the guy at the market says then ask to come to their farm.

SV

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 26 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next