Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 27 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Father Brown Movie
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:44 am 

Religion: Catholic
I found this and I thought it would be important to share it; considering who Father Brown is and the one who wrote of him, Gilbert K. Chesterton.

Alec Guinness, or perhaps better known for his role as Ben Kenobi in the original Star Wars trilogy, had planned to become an Anglican priest, but when he was on the set of this film, dressed as priest, a young boy walked up to him, unknowing of him NOT being a priest, held his hand and had great trust in the man, talking to him with much love. The event so inspired Alec, that he converted to Catholicism shortly thereafter. And so, England took another step in the direction of returning to Holy Mother Church.

It's truly quite the narrative. Real life can give a man two things: Grief or joy. This case I'd say it gives joy. Because the learning of others coming to terms with the true religion, that inspires. And it's inspiration why I add this link for my brethren to watch.

Deus non moritur!
Dios no muere!
-Mont

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP78LJ6z8Rk

Post subject: Re: Father Brown Movie
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:14 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Two-Faced
i've been looking for this movie for years! thank you!

*bookmarks, intends to watch it later*

‘Humility.’”

~ St. Anthony the Great

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:46 pm 

Religion: Roman Catholic
Are we talking about the crime solving Priest and Nun team I grew up watching as a child? :D

"[D]econstruction is a relentless, if sometimes indirect, discourse on democracy, on a democracy to come. Derrida’s democracy is a radically pluralistic polity that resists the terror of an organic, ethnic, spiritual unity, of the natural, native bonds of the nation (natus, natio), which grind to dust everything that is not a kin of the ruling kind and genus (Geschlecht)." John D. Caputo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:52 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

John Ryan wrote:
Are we talking about the crime solving Priest and Nun team I grew up watching as a child? :D

Not really. That was a mess (I assume you're talking about the one with Tom Bosley based on the Fr. Dowling character). This was Alec Guiness in the 1954 film THE DETECTIVE, playing Chesterton's Fr. Brown, story adapted from the first Fr. Brown story: "The Blue Cross".

I've just heard that will be a new BBC series this year, based on Fr. B. I await further news.

GKC

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:27 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: High Church Lutheran
Church Affiliations: Church of Norway
GKC wrote:
John Ryan wrote:

Not really. That was a mess (I assume you're talking about the one with Tom Bosley based on the Fr. Dowling character). This was Alec Guiness in the 1954 film THE DETECTIVE, playing Chesterton's Fr. Brown, story adapted from the first Fr. Brown story: "The Blue Cross".
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046970/

GKC wrote:
I've just heard that will be a new BBC series this year, based on Fr. B. I await further news.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2215842/

“Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt.” — Paul Tillich

http://katolikken.wordpress.com/
English texts: http://katolikken.wordpress.com/tag/english-texts-2/

http://www.facebook.com/kjetilkringlebotten

http://twitter.com/katolikken

http://thecatholic.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:33 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Shouldn't most of the Father Brown stories, if not all of them, be in the public domain by now? So I don't think there are any licensing issues.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:34 pm 
King of Cool

GKC wrote:
John Ryan wrote:

GKC

The Father Dowling novels by Ralph Mcinerny are okay, but the TV series was pretty mediocre....they even resorted to the 'evil twin' cliche in like....the 3rd episode. Of course, TV shows in the 80's had a weird fixation with evil twins, damn near every character in any adventure show or crime drama had an evil twin.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:57 pm 
Defender
Defender

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus 4th Degree
Doom wrote:
GKC wrote:
John Ryan wrote:

GKC

The Father Dowling novels by Ralph Mcinerny are okay, but the TV series was pretty mediocre....they even resorted to the 'evil twin' cliche in like....the 3rd episode. Of course, TV shows in the 80's had a weird fixation with evil twins, damn near every character in any adventure show or crime drama had an evil twin.

Don't forget Riker's "transporter twin" on Star Trek TNG (who later, IIRC, turned sort-of evil on Deep Space 9)

For you love all things that are, and hate none of the things which you have made: for you did not appoint, or make anything hating it. Wisdom 11:25

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:59 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
GKC wrote:
John Ryan wrote:

GKC

I agree on the McInerny books.

I also liked the Leonard Holton (leonard Wibberley) Fr. Bredder books.

GKC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:01 pm 
King of Cool

Zoom wrote:
Don't forget Riker's "transporter twin" on Star Trek TNG (who later, IIRC, turned sort-of evil on Deep Space 9)

That's not really the same thing...there was a scientific, or at least pseudo-scientific explanation for it..and it happened at a particular moment.....they didn't just randomly decide that the character had always had an 'evil twin' whom we had never heard about before and who we will probably never heard about again after the episode is over...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:03 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
Shouldn't most of the Father Brown stories, if not all of them, be in the public domain by now? So I don't think there are any licensing issues.

I doubt it. But I'm no authority. The rights were in the hands of Dorothy Collins, until her death in 1989.

But I could be wrong.

GKC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:06 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Closet Catholic wrote:
GKC wrote:
John Ryan wrote:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046970/

GKC wrote:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2215842/

And also

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0026341/

When I lived south of LA, I spent some time looking through the dealers in movie memorabilia for stills from the Connolly and Guinness films, for my Chesterton collection.

No go.

I have hopes for the BBC series.

GKC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:10 pm 
King of Cool

GKC wrote:
Doom wrote:

I doubt it. But I'm no authority. The rights were in the hands of Dorothy Collins, until her death in 1989.

But I could be wrong.

GKC

Well there are two possible rules that would apply here...life of the author+70 years....which would be 2006 or date of publication+95 years...which means nearly everything he wrote should be in public domain by now, and what remains should be in the public domain no later than 2031...date of publication+95 years....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:12 pm 
King of Cool

Wikisource has a list of GK Chesterton works currently in the public domain...

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Author:Gi ... Chesterton

You will certainly know better than I just how much of his work this list includes and how much is missing..

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:21 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
GKC wrote:
Doom wrote:

But I could be wrong.

GKC

Well there are two possible rules that would apply here...life of the author+70 years....which would be 2006 or date of publication+95 years...which means nearly everything he wrote should be in public domain by now, and what remains should be in the public domain no later than 2031...date of publication+95 years....

Like I said. It's not an issue I have tracked, since I already got everything. And the 75 year date would have ended in 2011.

GKC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:28 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:

You will certainly know better than I just how much of his work this list includes and how much is missing..

The ones that are listed as still not in the public domain under US law are around 1/3+ of his total works, IIRC. One so listed is a single poem: odd.

From the last comment on the link, it would appear that perhaps anything of Chesterton's might be in the public domain, somewhere.

GKC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:31 pm 
King of Cool

GKC wrote:
Doom wrote:

The ones that are listed as still not in the public domain under US law are around 1/3+ of his total works, IIRC. One so listed is a single poem: odd.

From the last comment on the link, it would appear that perhaps anything of Chesterton's might be in the public domain, somewhere.

GKC

There is a surprising amount of stuff that was published in the last 5-6 years of his life, and an even more surprising amount of stuff that was published after he died.....I do notice that 3 of the 5 volumes of Father Brown mysteries are currently in public domain or will be within the next few years...so if they wanted to make a television series they could easily make several seasons of episodes without having to pay a licensing fee to the stories...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:34 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
GKC wrote:
Doom wrote:

GKC

There is a surprising amount of stuff that was published in the last 5-6 years of his life, and an even more surprising amount of stuff that was published after he died.....I do notice that 3 of the 5 volumes of Father Brown mysteries are currently in public domain or will be within the next few years...so if they wanted to make a television series they could easily make several seasons of episodes without having to pay a licensing fee to the stories...

Chesterton's output was vast, primarily the newspaper columns. Dorothy Collins edited a number of posthumous collections.

GKC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:37 pm 
King of Cool

GKC wrote:
Chesterton's output was vast, primarily the newspaper columns. Dorothy Collins edited a number of posthumous collections.

GKC

Did he say anything about copyrights? In particular, the injustice of an author's work remaining under copyright for more than century after he died?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:52 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
GKC wrote:

GKC

Did he say anything about copyrights? In particular, the injustice of an author's work remaining under copyright for more than century after he died?

Not that I am aware of, save a discussion of Charles Dickens' problems with American copyright laws,

GKC

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 27 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next