Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 34 of 53   [ 1060 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: Official 2012 American Idol Thread
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:28 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus, SVdP
The combination of Queen and their choice leaves a mixed response here.

No theme for the show.

Transcendent, and snaps into reality. Wow, where do they get these people?

It is true that all roads to success are under construction. It is easy to say because, in this city, all roads are under construction. The real surprise is that success lies not in the road, but in the destination. If you don't go to heaven, your life is a failure!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:55 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
wait...i thought hollie was back last week? did randy forget? :scratch: :mrgreen: :laughhard

but is that her first standing o? wonder if skylar was right about the number of standing o's joshua has had so far ... and poor colton never got one :(

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:57 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I missed most of the first hour again, so I'll write my impressions of ROUND 2 first:

Jessica - really liked it. She was emotionally connected, AND she looked into the camera. :)

Skylar - I don't really like that song. I guess she did ok with it (better at the end than the beginning), but I was bored.

Joshua - Random fashion note - Who wants to take bets that Slezak is going to say that Joshua is paying homage to Colton by wearing that scarf? - Ok, anyway... I liked the performance a lot. That said, Joshua is one of those people that I LOVE to watch perform, but who I probably wouldn't enjoy listening to as much without the visuals.

Elise - my favorite pre-performance package of the bunch - Philip is the only really funny one in the group, isn't he? I didn't like the parts where she shouted, but everything else was good. Oooh, listen to J.Lo & Randy kiss up to her after last week's honesty (not hearing the earlier songs yet, I'm not sure if they already addressed the dissage)

Philip - he certainly does feel comfortable singing Dave Matthews. It was a nice presentation, but I still could've heard more notes...

Hollie - Great job, and I'm not surprised.

"Do not think that I have come to bring peace on earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man's foes will be those of his own household." - Mt 10:34-36
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
"The future of the world passes through the family." - John Paul II

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:06 pm 
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
First round:
Jessica: B-
Skylar: A-
Joshua: B+
Elise: A
Philip: C+
Hollie: B-

Second round:
Jessica: A-
Skylar: B+
Joshua: A
Elise: A
Philip: A-
Hollie: A-

Probably the best show this year....maybe the best show ever. These guys are really good.

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:48 pm 

Anyone home?

So what the heck was wrong with Steven and Randy? How could they possibly find anything to complain about with Elise's second song? It was totally fantastic. I'm stunned that JLo was the only one to get that right.

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:04 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
gherkin wrote:
Anyone home?

So what the heck was wrong with Steven and Randy? How could they possibly find anything to complain about with Elise's second song? It was totally fantastic. I'm stunned that JLo was the only one to get that right.

Steven got mad at Randy when he found out that Randy was two timing him with JLo's second cousin that they thought had died but really he didn't he just had amnesia and was wandering around Bolivia when his mothers fourth husband ran across him while dealing in cocaine. It gets complicated from there.

“We are moving toward a dictatorship of relativism which does not recognize anything as definitive and has as its highest value one's own ego and one's own desires... The church needs to withstand the tides of trends and the latest novelties.... We must become mature in this adult faith, we must guide the flock of Christ to this faith.”

“At times, power — including that of knowledge — blocks the path to encountering that child,” the Son of God, the savior of the world -Pope Benedict XVI

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:05 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

you didn't like fat bottomed girls? :shock: (haven't seen it yet)

it wasn't that steven didn't like elise's song...he just said no one knows the song iirc ..and that is a big problem at this time in the competition ... randy's just an idiot...as always :roll:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:11 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

OK, backing up to ROUND ONE:

First of all, if rumors are true, and Ryan is just getting over the stomach bug, can I just say "ewww" that he's kissing J.Lo and cozying up to the contestants? All I can think about watching this, is that I hope they're taking probiotics and using purell.

Jessica - I'm warming up to her. She's relating more to the audience...or should I say cameras...That's really the kind of song you should cover though.

Skylar - didn't Colton say he would've done this song had he not left? Lucky skylar, she did it well - it's a much better song for AI than Bohemian Rhapsody.

Joshua - You know, I think he sang the heck out of it, but that song is a little to "I heard it through the grapevine" for it to be a good idea on the show. Definitely not my favorite of Joshua's. Good performance though. Now if only I wasn't noticing the handshake with Ryan, followed by the touch of the mouth - don't do it Joshua, don't get sick!!! (Random fact about TKC - I am a puke-a-phobe - in case it wasn't obvious by now)

Elise - does she really have a red tambourine? why does that seem funny to me? Anyone else distracted by that? Really liked the vocals though. These older, rock songs are great for Elise. Hey Randy's showin off his musical. Ah, Elise is smart - her hands were both full, so Ryan couldn't touch them - good girl. :)

Philip - I can't believe I'm going to say this (considering I'm not a PP fan, and that I'm not a fan of these lyrics on the family hour on tv), but I actually really liked his performance. Who knew?

Hollie - Good, but not great. She is definitely performing better, but I still could give her a few pointers (and if *I* can, then she must have a way to go still)

"Do not think that I have come to bring peace on earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man's foes will be those of his own household." - Mt 10:34-36

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:56 am 

faithfulservant wrote:
you didn't like fat bottomed girls? :shock: (haven't seen it yet)

It really just wasn't any good at all. :fyi:

Quote:
it wasn't that steven didn't like elise's song...he just said no one knows the song iirc ..and that is a big problem at this time in the competition ... randy's just an idiot...as always :roll:

Well, Steven gave it faint praise at best, and the message that came through was "that was a dumb idea."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:01 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

faithfulservant wrote:
since that was the season blondie got me started watching (at the final 3 show), what was it about that season that held your attention :scratch:

i absolutely think the judges should stop ranking/promoting their favorites (or unca nigel's favorites as the case may be :roll: )... that should NOT be their job... i heard that randy was on the talk or the view or one of those shows predicting the final order... HELLO :scratch: :shock: :nooo: they all already do enough of that favoritism critique (well maybe steven doesn't always ...but with him ya never know where stuff comes from :mrgreen: ) to make me crazy

I don't really know what held my attention exactly. Something did. I liked Taylor Hicks. I liked Daughtry. Was undecided on Katherine McPhee. I think it may have also had something to do with that I had a 3 month old baby who liked to be held all the time... and who somehow kept me sleeping in the recliner for 5 months after she was born.... so... I think I watched a lot of tv back then.

Oh wait.... :)... there is another reason I watched!!! :) totally forgot. My nieces all sing and perform in local theaters in NY and they all knew Kevin Covais. So, I was also watching because of him. :) so, THAT's what was different about Season 5!!!!

When they changed judges to Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez, I also started watching. I really couldn't stand Simon anymore. Paula either. There was no way I could watch every show. Season 5 was enough for me! I'd tune in here and there but never watch the full season.

Lisa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:20 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Ok... where do I begin... with the judges and how much they annoyed me????

First round:
Jessica: It was ok. It didn't impress me. She didn't look into the camera until the very very end... like the last note. She can hit the notes but still, she doesn't appeal to me. I did like this song better than the others she's done.

Skylar: Loved it!
Joshua: ugh! I think it boils down to that I simply don't like his voice... just like with Jessica.

Elise: Loved this one too! She needs to stick with the Rock songs

Philip: I enjoyed it. I wasn't bored for a change.

Hollie: I liked it ok. She didn't send it out of the park, but still good.

Second round:

Jessica: I liked this one.... perhaps it's the song. I found myself listening to the lyrics but not necessarily her voice. Maybe I don't give her enough credit. She has some emotion... but still, she looked in the camera only at the end.

Skylar: Liked this one but not as much as the first.

Joshua: Heard the first verse then fast forwarded through the rest. THAT's what his singing makes ME want to do. Turn it off!!!

Elise: I liked this one as much as the first.

Philip: Liked this one too... warming up to him.

Hollie: Liked this one too, but it worries me that there she nails only the songs she knows and has done before.

Ok... a standing o for Joshua... twice??? Gimme a break!!!! It made no sense. Skylar won the first round according to all three judges but SHE didn't get a standing ovation. Joshua gets one... but didn't win the round? Then... he gets ANOTHER one... for a song that I couldn't even make it to the chorus for. ugh!!!! What's the deal with that? Do I dare say that their bias is ethnically motivated? Could be. I don't know. I'm ready for him to go. Jessica and Joshua need to be in the bottom to me.

Lisa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:21 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

faithfulservant wrote:
randy's just an idiot...as always :roll:
Who's this Randy? Are you talking about R.Yo?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:23 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Interesting. Dial Idol lists only Hollie as safe. Is this week finally Elise's turn?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:00 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

let's hope not :pray: i still haven't watched the queen covers yet...but i did see that slezak called skylar's queen song the best of the season :shock: wow...better that elise's whole lotta love :shock: ... this i gotta see

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:08 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

annie's impressions
I LOVED:
Hollie Cavanagh, “The Climb” by Miley Cyrus
Joshua Ledet, “Ready For Love” by India.Arie
Skylar Laine, “The Show Must Go On” by Queen
Elise Testone, “Bold As Love” by Jimi Hendrix

THESE WERE GOOD:

Jessica Sanchez, “Dance With My Father” by Luther Vandross
Phillip Phillips, “The Stone” by Dave Matthews Band
Elise Testone, “I Want It All” by Queen
Hollie Cavanagh, “Save Me” by Queen

THESE WERE JUST OKAY FOR ME. FOR YOU?

Joshua Ledet, “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” by Queen
Skylar Laine, “Tattoos On This Town” by Jason Aldean
Jessica Sanchez, “Bohemian Rhapsody” by Queen
Phillip Phillips, “Fat Bottomed Girls” by Queen

what i saw of elise's first song, i liked a whole lot more than her 2nd song...even though i love hendrix (anyone remember if hendrix has been done on idol before? )

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:11 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

no full recap from slezak yet... here was his quote
Quote:
But watch me go out on a limb and declare this THE PERFORMANCE OF THE SEASON!

anyone else surprised to see hollie as the only one safe from di? votes from england don't count do they :scratch:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:19 am 

faithfulservant wrote:
i did see that slezak called skylar's queen song the best of the season :shock:

I thought it was very impressive that she took that song on. It's got a pretty complicated melody, especially in the verses, and she handled that very well. In the choruses, though, her voice is just too thin to really pull it off. It actually put her vocal weaknesses on display for me. Now, I still think it was a really good performance, but the best of the season? Not even close. Not even her best performance of the season.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:23 am 

faithfulservant wrote:
anyone else surprised to see hollie as the only one safe from di? votes from england don't count do they :scratch:

She's just so cute and lovable, I'm not at all surprised she's listed as safe, especially when she ends the show with such a nice performance. I'm surprised she's the only one listed as safe, though, yes. But I think the voting is hard to predict at this point. I've got no real guess as to the bottom three--or is it just bottom two now? I'd probably say Elise and maybe....Joshua? Hard to call. I guess I wouldn't be surprised to see Jessica in there instead of Joshua. But if the bottom two were just based on performance, it would definitely be Philip, together with either Hollie or Jessica. :fyi:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:28 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

good to know...i think slezak might be losing some of his acuity this season...based on what i have read and heard

here are the results from the tvline poll before last night's performances... no idea what the sample number entailed ... but hate to see they have swallowed the jessica kool-aid

Who's your current favorite contestant from Season 11 of Idol?
Skylar Laine 20.01%

Phillip Phillips 22.71%

Joshua Ledet 8.62%

Jessica Sanchez 23.66%

Elise Testone 15.37%

Hollie Cavanagh 9.64%

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:19 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

from slezak and tvline

Quote:
Steven might be right that the song was too obscure to capture the speed-dialing hearts of the Idoloonie nation, but I wouldn’t disagree with J.Lo that Elise slaughtered it so thoroughly that maybe it didn’t, or at least shouldn’t, matter.

What were your 3 favorite performances on Top 6 Night?

Jessica Sanchez: Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" 5.47%

Skylar Laine: Queen's "The Show Must Go On" 17.94%

Joshua Ledet: Queen's "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" 6.2%

Elise Testone: Queen's "I Want It All" 14.48%

Phillip Phillips: Queen's "Fat Bottomed Girls" 7%

Hollie Cavanagh: Queen's "Save Me" 3.67%

Jessica Sanchez: Luther Vandross' "Dance With My Father" 7.88%

Skylar Laine: Jason Aldean's "Tattoos on This Town" 2.93%

Joshua Ledet: India.Arie's "Ready for Love" 9.85%

Elise Testone: Jimi Hendrix's "Bold as Love" 6.27%

Phillip Phillips: Dave Matthews Band's "The Stone" 4.99%

Hollie Cavanagh: Miley Cyrus' "The Climb" 13.33%

De Maria numquam satis

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 34 of 53   [ 1060 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 53  Next