Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 4 of 8   [ 144 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

What's your age range & highest level of education?
18 & under age range 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
19-24 age range 3%  3%  [ 6 ]
25-29 age range 4%  4%  [ 7 ]
30-39 age range 12%  12%  [ 22 ]
40-49 age range 11%  11%  [ 19 ]
50-59 age range 9%  9%  [ 17 ]
60-69 age range 8%  8%  [ 14 ]
70-79 age range 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
80 & Up age range 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
still in high school/home schooled 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
high school dropout 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
GED 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
high school graduate 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
some college/university courses, but haven’t earned a degree yet 11%  11%  [ 19 ]
technical/vocational school 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Associate Degree 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Bachelor’s Degree 18%  18%  [ 33 ]
Master’s Degree 6%  6%  [ 10 ]
Doctorate Degree 4%  4%  [ 8 ]
I have two degrees 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
I have three or more degrees 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Other 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 180
 Post subject: Re: Poll: Age Range & Education Level
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:52 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Ancient Oracle wrote:
Texas

I think I spotted your problem. :fyi:

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:49 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus, SVdP
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Ancient Oracle wrote:
Texas

Black Gold. Texas tea.

It is true that all roads to success are under construction. It is easy to say because, in this city, all roads are under construction. The real surprise is that success lies not in the road, but in the destination. If you don't go to heaven, your life is a failure!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:23 pm 
Highness
Highness

Wow. Ok. My family yet again differs from many of you. My family did the Florida pre-paid college thing for me. There was no stipulations on where I could go, except for the program limited it to state schools. So FSU, UF, community colleges, etc. The out of state thing came up, and they wished me well but they couldn't afford it so I'd be on my own for that.

I would have started working on getting a scholarship to wherever I wanted to go if they had done the whole "you're gonna go where we want you to go because it's our money." thing. At the end of the day, the degree will shape my life, not theirs. They knew that, and I know it.

But oh well. If it works for you guys, more power to you.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:27 pm 

Considering that most here have done what they can to raise their children as faithful Catholics it makes little sense they would just toss them to the winds of fate at the magical age of 18. I'm sorry that you did not have the same concern shown by your family.

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:43 pm 
Highness
Highness

St Veronica wrote:
Considering that most here have done what they can to raise their children as faithful Catholics it makes little sense they would just toss them to the winds of fate at the magical age of 18. I'm sorry that you did not have the same concern shown by your family.

SV

It was't so much a concern. My parents trusted my judgement. My dad always told me "If you can't make sound decisions for yourself concerning your future, when it comes time for you decide big things like college or joining the military or whatnot, we failed you. What have we done then than only make you have to turn to us like a child? You're a grown a$$ man at that point. Do your thing."

They weren't concerned because they trusted they raised me in a way that I could make sound decisions for myself, based on how they and the rest of our family was raised, not because they didn't care or what not.

But that's not what many people do (I'm now recently realizing). My entire family was raised in a very independant manner. The younger you don't need your parents, the better. Like an eagle kicking the chicks out the nest. Time to fly, get out and good luck.

As you all were. I'm a sore thumb in this conversation, I.E. one is unlike the rest :wink:

Last edited by VegasCane on Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:44 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Santa Doom wrote:
Ancient Oracle wrote:
Santa Doom wrote:
Ancient Oracle wrote:
VegasCane wrote:
Doesn't matter who's money it is,

Tell me that after you have paid for you child to study, away from home, for 4 years of university - and $120,000 down.

$120,000? Where exactly is that college, on Mars? I got a Phd for less than 1/4 of that.

Texas - Tuition, books, transportation and housing (food) - it all adds up.
Then add currency conversion - at 1 point I was paying an extra 30 cents on the dollar for US bucks.

30k a year all in

My point is that is uber-expensive, and you were paying more since you were a non-resident, you are using that number as a minimum when in fact it is a maximim. It's true that can be expensive but it is nowhere nearas expensive as people think, especially if you go to college in your home state in which case they waive about 3/4 of the tuition.

Some states may be cheap, but mine isn't one of them. In Pennsylvania, tuition for state residents at the state universities is $5804, but by the time you tack on the mandatory fees and room and board you're looking at a range of $11,801 - $20,748. Out of state students pay significantly more.

"Do not conform yourself to this age but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and pleasing and perfect." Romans 12:2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:51 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
VegasCane wrote:
It was't so much a concern. My parents trusted my judgement. My dad always told me "If you can't make sound decisions for yourself concerning your future, when it comes time for you decide big things like college or joining the military or whatnot, we failed you. What have we done then than only make you have to turn to us like a child? You're a grown a$$ man at that point. Do your thing."

They weren't concerned because they trusted they raised me in a way that I could make sound decisions for myself, based on how they and the rest of our family was raised, not because they didn't care or what not.

But that's not what many people do (I'm now recently realizing). My entire family was raised in a very independant manner. The younger you don't need your parents, the better. Like an eagle kicking the chicks out the nest. Time to fly, get out and good luck.

If one is raised to be independent, then wouldn't one want to pay one's own way through college? If your parents pay for your college education then it can hardly be said to be similar to an eagle pushing its chicks out of the nest.

I hope that I will be able to trust my children's judgment about where they go to college. But if they make a bad decision, I am not going to enable that decision by throwing money at it. If they want to do their own thing, I don't see why I ought to pay for it.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:55 pm 
Highness
Highness

Pepsuber wrote:
VegasCane wrote:

If one is raised to be independent, then wouldn't one want to pay one's own way through college? If your parents pay for your college education then it can hardly be said to be similar to an eagle pushing its chicks out of the nest.

I hope that I will be able to trust my children's judgment about where they go to college. But if they make a bad decision, I am not going to enable that decision by throwing money at it. If they want to do their own thing, I don't see why I ought to pay for it.

Fair enough. I'd just have that conversation early enough so that they can begin planning how their going to pay for it, should they take that route. You normally have to start seting up a scholly run as a freshman, so I'd have the conversation around 8th grade. That's what my parents did with me. They told me "4 years goes by quick. THis is where you have to decide what you're doing because it'll take 4 solid years of good grades and good tests scores to get a scholarship if you don't want to use the Florida pre-paid thing we got you..." (not that one shouldn't aim for that anyways.)

The reason they paid for it is common sense. You can't work full time as a kid and put away for college. They did what they could to assist. But they trusted my judgement to do the right thing with it. If I didn't, I'd be punished through the course of life through my actions.

In the end I never ended up using the pre-paid fund. I joined the military and have gotten my degree via the AF and the GI-bill. But it was there for me to use and I could have at any Florida St. school Had I wanted to go to say a private university, I was on my own to earn a scholarship or take out student loans.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:02 pm 

VegasCane wrote:
St Veronica wrote:

SV

As you all were. I'm a sore thumb in this conversation, I.E. one is unlike the rest :wink:

Guiding them with decisions about their future is not a sign that their judgment can't be trusted. Neither is it a sign the parents failed to prepare them. The idea that somehow magically at 18 a child is all knowing is inaccurate.

As far as the younger you don't need your parents the better, well heck why not 14, just kick them out and they better be prepared or whatever happens happens right?

I seriously hope if you have children you don't practice what you preach.

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:13 pm 
Highness
Highness

St Veronica wrote:

Guiding them with decisions about their future is not a sign that their judgment can't be trusted. Neither is it a sign the parents failed to prepare them. The idea that somehow magically at 18 a child is all knowing is inaccurate.

As far as the younger you don't need your parents the better, well heck why not 14, just kick them out and they better be prepared or whatever happens happens right?

SV

I get that. we just have vastly different ideas of what "guiding" is. Guiding in the sense that you mean..I think...ended in my house when I entered HS. My parents became advisors at that point, letting me make a vast majority of my own decisions. When I made bad ones and I failed, they stepped in and taught me where I went wrong and how to correct it. They did this to get me used to living the consequences of my actions and learning to really make sound decisions. Once I graduated, yes they very much stepped completely out of the spotlight and told me "you know our number. Call us if you need something" and went completely hands off.

If I have children I will raise them the way I was raised, and my parents were raised, and my grandparents were raised, and all my aunts and uncles.

P.S. it's funny you mention why not 14. I assure you if it was possible, my family would have raised us to be independent by then. It's how it's been done over the generations in my family. Could be because of the poor harsh background everyone came from. Could be the Rivera's are a bunch of weirdo's. I dunno.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:00 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
Full ride to a bunch of schools, went - dropped out... twice... never went back to college :wave

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:02 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

I was raised by wolves :fyi:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:09 pm 
Highness
Highness

kage_ar wrote:
I was raised by wolves :fyi:

:)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:41 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Catholic, praise God
Hmmm....for a bunch of eddicated people, there's way too much apostrophe abuse going on. Just sayin' some folks should check their use of its/it's. :poke

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:47 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
Ancient Oracle wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Ancient Oracle wrote:
Texas

Black Gold. Texas tea.

Move away from there!

“We are moving toward a dictatorship of relativism which does not recognize anything as definitive and has as its highest value one's own ego and one's own desires... The church needs to withstand the tides of trends and the latest novelties.... We must become mature in this adult faith, we must guide the flock of Christ to this faith.”

“At times, power — including that of knowledge — blocks the path to encountering that child,” the Son of God, the savior of the world -Pope Benedict XVI

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:10 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I recently joined the 40-49 crowd. I have a B.S. in education, but didn't use it very long. I went into insurance and finance instead. About seven years ago I left the workforce entirely to be a stay-at-home mom. Needless to say my teaching and securities licenses have long since expired. When I go back to work it'll be like starting over again and not looking forward to it :( .

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:12 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
I've always found it ironic that they call it a "BS" degree.

“We are moving toward a dictatorship of relativism which does not recognize anything as definitive and has as its highest value one's own ego and one's own desires... The church needs to withstand the tides of trends and the latest novelties.... We must become mature in this adult faith, we must guide the flock of Christ to this faith.”

“At times, power — including that of knowledge — blocks the path to encountering that child,” the Son of God, the savior of the world -Pope Benedict XVI

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:16 pm 

VegasCane wrote:
St Veronica wrote:

SV

I get that. we just have vastly different ideas of what "guiding" is. Guiding in the sense that you mean..I think...ended in my house when I entered HS. My parents became advisors at that point, letting me make a vast majority of my own decisions. When I made bad ones and I failed, they stepped in and taught me where I went wrong and how to correct it. They did this to get me used to living the consequences of my actions and learning to really make sound decisions. Once I graduated, yes they very much stepped completely out of the spotlight and told me "you know our number. Call us if you need something" and went completely hands off.

If I have children I will raise them the way I was raised, and my parents were raised, and my grandparents were raised, and all my aunts and uncles.

P.S. it's funny you mention why not 14. I assure you if it was possible, my family would have raised us to be independent by then. It's how it's been done over the generations in my family. Could be because of the poor harsh background everyone came from. Could be the Rivera's are a bunch of weirdo's. I dunno.

And just because your parents did it does not mean you have to do it.

Parents giving advice and guiding (you can use whatever word you want) never ends. That's why they call us parents. Part of our job is to be there for our kids no matter how old they are. You don't think my kids don't call me and ask my advice on issues? While they are being raised in the home they were given opportunity to make mistakes and live with consequences, being taught how to make decisions and morals/values to use as a guide to making those decisions.

The idea that just because they hit 18 means they should just be tossed out to fend for themselves is just wrong.

SV

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:18 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

St Veronica wrote:
VegasCane wrote:
St Veronica wrote:

SV

And just because your parents did it does not mean you have to do it.

Parents giving advice and guiding (you can use whatever word you want) never ends. That's why they call us parents. Part of our job is to be there for our kids no matter how old they are. You don't think my kids don't call me and ask my advice on issues? While they are being raised in the home they were given opportunity to make mistakes and live with consequences, being taught how to make decisions and morals/values to use as a guide to making those decisions.

The idea that just because they hit 18 means they should just be tossed out to fend for themselves is just wrong.

SV

:clap: :clap:

We have a moral duty to our kids as well as to our own parents.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:25 pm 
Deceased

Chris G wrote:
I've always found it ironic that they call it a "BS" degree.
Not to mention the follow-ups:
MS = More of the Same
PH.D = Piled Higher and Deeper.

Edward Pothier

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 4 of 8   [ 144 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next