Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 8   [ 144 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

What's your age range & highest level of education?
18 & under age range 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
19-24 age range 3%  3%  [ 6 ]
25-29 age range 4%  4%  [ 7 ]
30-39 age range 12%  12%  [ 22 ]
40-49 age range 11%  11%  [ 19 ]
50-59 age range 9%  9%  [ 17 ]
60-69 age range 8%  8%  [ 14 ]
70-79 age range 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
80 & Up age range 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
still in high school/home schooled 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
high school dropout 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
GED 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
high school graduate 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
some college/university courses, but haven’t earned a degree yet 11%  11%  [ 19 ]
technical/vocational school 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Associate Degree 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Bachelor’s Degree 18%  18%  [ 33 ]
Master’s Degree 6%  6%  [ 10 ]
Doctorate Degree 4%  4%  [ 8 ]
I have two degrees 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
I have three or more degrees 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Other 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 180
 Post subject: Re: Poll: Age Range & Education Level
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:39 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Eorlingean Catholic
Church Affiliations: KC
As a truck driver, I don't "have" a B.S., I AM b.s. .

:fyi:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:15 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
Jackie wrote:
1HCaAC wrote:
Sure are a bunch of youngsters responding to this poll.

Guess that depends on what you consider to be a 'youngster'. I'm in the group that currently has the highest percentage of respondents for both age and education and there are more people in the over 50 categories than in the younger age groups. I imagine that will change, though.

Anyway, I have a BS in math education. Because people generally looked at education degrees as something the 'less smart' got, my pride led me to take every math class that the non-education majors were required to take and then some. (got A's in all of them, too :) ) Of course, that was over 30 years ago and I've forgotten pretty much all of it. :D

woo hoo...we're still hanging as the largest percentage age group and the largest percentage education group...we obviously rawk!

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:32 am 
Highness
Highness

St Veronica wrote:
I have enough hours to pick up my degree in Criminal Justice but I've never taken the final math course to finalize things. I've never really had a need to go back and get it, life is funny that way.

I went to school at pretty good university here in the midwest and really the only place I ran into issues with religion was in the ethics classes and a study on the New Testament and I wasn't even much of a Catholic at that point. I knew something was wrong/off in the classes but I didn't know the particulars at that point.

That said if I were sending my kids to a university there's not very many I'd be willing to send them to.
SV

Shouldn't it be their choice where they go to college? After all, it is their degree :scratch:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:36 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus, SVdP
VegasCane wrote:
St Veronica wrote:
I have enough hours to pick up my degree in Criminal Justice but I've never taken the final math course to finalize things. I've never really had a need to go back and get it, life is funny that way.

I went to school at pretty good university here in the midwest and really the only place I ran into issues with religion was in the ethics classes and a study on the New Testament and I wasn't even much of a Catholic at that point. I knew something was wrong/off in the classes but I didn't know the particulars at that point.

That said if I were sending my kids to a university there's not very many I'd be willing to send them to.
SV

Shouldn't it be their choice where they go to college? After all, it is their degree :scratch:

Whose $?

but that is only 1 dimension.

We have a duty to make sure are children continue in a solid Catholic education.

It is true that all roads to success are under construction. It is easy to say because, in this city, all roads are under construction. The real surprise is that success lies not in the road, but in the destination. If you don't go to heaven, your life is a failure!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:52 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: disillusioned
I am 41. In my 20's I went to a vocation school to become a medical laboratory technician. I took all of the college level science classes for an associate's degree, but not the English, humanities, and other core requirements.

I am now just a little bit less than half of the way to an associate's degree in nursing.

Then a short break and on to work toward my BSN and then probably a MSN.

I was a late bloomer. :D

Even though my life is falling apart at the seams ... I find comfort in the fact that I'm not a stripper.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:00 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
I am 38 and I have a B.S. in mathematics.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:59 am 
Highness
Highness

Ancient Oracle wrote:
VegasCane wrote:
St Veronica wrote:

SV

Whose $?

We have a duty to make sure are children continue in a solid Catholic education.

Doesn't matter who's money it is, because the end product is going to dictate THEIR career. That's 4 years, or 6 years or 8 years you can't get back. So it's a big decision and since it's their degree, they should have final say on where they go. As a parent, you can disagree and pray for them, but it's not your life, it's theirs.

We have a duty to our kids, but once they hit 18 and are off to college, they are no longer kids. They are adults.

I would've utterly resented my parents if they dicated such huge life decisions for me. I'm very glad they advised, gave their .2, then stepped back out of the way and let me decide my future.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:09 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: OCDS
VegasCane wrote:
Ancient Oracle wrote:
VegasCane wrote:
St Veronica wrote:

SV

Whose $?

Doesn't matter who's money it is, because the end product is going to dictate THEIR career. That's 4 years, or 6 years or 8 years you can't get back. So it's a big decision and since it's their degree, they should have final say on where they go. As a parent, you can disagree and pray for them, but it's not your life, it's theirs.

We have a duty to our kids, but once they hit 18 and are off to college, they are no longer kids. They are adults.

I would've utterly resented my parents if they dicated such huge life decisions for me. I'm very glad they advised, gave their .2, then stepped back out of the way and let me decide my future.

This 18 business is an imaginary line.
There is no age that our children are that we are not responsible for guiding them. There is only the what it is possible to enforce and what is wise to enforce to consider.

The image of the Mother of God demonstrates the basic spiritual attitude which corresponds to woman’s natural vocation; her relation to her husband is one of obedience, trust, and participation in his life as she furthers his objective tasks and personality development; to the child she gives true care, encouragement, and formation of his God-given talents; she offers both selfless surrender and a quiet withdrawal when unneeded. -
Edith Stein

Formerly Sunmumy.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:16 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

VegasCane wrote:

I think you've missed a crucial statement.

Quote:

This is a sacred duty owed to God and is a very serious burden for Catholic parents. It outweighs career goals and money with ease. This life is temporary, we are to prepare our children not only for surviving the temporal world, but also for their eternal life.

Beyond that very serious, and too often overlooked duty, parents have a duty to make sure that our young adult children aren't making huge mistakes.

To that end, when they are spending our money, we have every right to place limitations on how that money is spent. For instance stipulating that we will only pay for tuition and books for classes that are part of the degree track, we will only pay for our children to attend certain colleges, or even stipulations on the type of degree we will pay for.

My daughter knows that I will do everything I can to assist her in getting a solid college education. Provided that she does a few things.

#1 - She must choose a major. None of this dithering about for 2, 3 or more years trying to "find herself."

#2 - She must choose a major that is going to be useful for finding employment. A vague "Liberal Arts" major or a major in something of a very limited scope of employment like art history or drama isn't going to cut it. Sorry, but she needs to be able to support herself.

#3 - She must maintain full-time status, barring health reasons that would require a reduction in hours.

#4 - She must maintain a 3.0 GPA.

#5 - She and I work together to decide which college best suits her educational requirements at a reasonable cost. I do not intend for either of us to be saddled with 70, 80, 100+ thousand dollars in debt for a bachelor's degree with which she can expect to make $45,000 per year.

As a grown woman with a great deal more life experience it is my duty to assist my daughter in making sound decisions - even if it means I have to pull the "my money my way" card out to do it.

Even though my life is falling apart at the seams ... I find comfort in the fact that I'm not a stripper.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:17 pm 

VegasCane wrote:
St Veronica wrote:

SV

No it shouldn't. As a parent it is my responsibility to guide them. Tossing them to the wolves is not my idea of good parenting.

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:49 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

GKC wrote:
1HCaAC wrote:
Sure are a bunch of youngsters responding to this poll.

Not totally.

GKC

Yes, now that it is farther along, my age group (60-69) seems to have expanded and there are a couple in the (70-79) group.

I have a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree with majors in Ceramics and Sculpture.

In looking at the percentages, I think it is based on all answers and not divided between the age category and the education category. There are 51 responses in the age category that would make the 8 in the (60-69) group about 16%.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:35 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
VegasCane wrote:
Doesn't matter who's money it is

Yes, it does -- I am not going to pay for my children to go to a secular college (or, worse yet, a "Catholic" college) where they will be indoctrinated in anti-Catholic ideas.

Quote:
As a parent, you can disagree and pray for them, but it's not your life, it's theirs.

If it is their life, they can pay for it.

Quote:

If they are adults, they can pay for it with their own money.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:46 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

VegasCane wrote:
Doesn't matter who's money it is,

Tell me that after you have paid for you child to study, away from home, for 4 years of university - and $120,000 down.

It is true that all roads to success are under construction. It is easy to say because, in this city, all roads are under construction. The real surprise is that success lies not in the road, but in the destination. If you don't go to heaven, your life is a failure!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:10 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Ancient Oracle wrote:
VegasCane wrote:

Tell me that after you have paid for you child to study, away from home, for 4 years of university - and $120,000 down.

$120,000? Where exactly is that college, on Mars? I got a Phd for less than 1/4 of that.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:17 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Santa Doom wrote:
Ancient Oracle wrote:
VegasCane wrote:

$120,000? Where exactly is that college, on Mars? I got a Phd for less than 1/4 of that.

Texas - Tuition, books, transportation and housing (food) - it all adds up.
Then add currency conversion - at 1 point I was paying an extra 30 cents on the dollar for US bucks.

30k a year all in

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:31 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

age 51 - 2 masters degrees and a PhD in biology
I don't work in the field though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:47 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Santa Doom wrote:
Ancient Oracle wrote:
VegasCane wrote:

One need not go to college on Mars to rack up 50+ thousand dollars on a college education. A lot depends on the school you choose and whether or not you're paying in-state or out-of-state tuition.

Most of the recent articles I have read estimate that the average cost per year of attendance at a state university is $7,000 per year in-state and $11,000 out-of-state.

Here in Alabama our University of Alabama is $20,000/yr, UA Birmingham = 18,000/yr, UA Huntsville = 16,900/yr, Auburn = 18,000/yr. So even at a state school, for a bachelor's degree you're looking at more than $65,000. Okay, it isn't $120,000, but it is still quite expensive.

Choose to go to a private college and you can easily spend upwards of $30,000 per year. One of the "Catholic" colleges courting my daughter right now runs around $36,900 per year.

So without even breaking a sweat my daughter could end up spending nearly $150,000. And it's not even a prestigious university.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:48 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Ancient Oracle wrote:
Santa Doom wrote:
Ancient Oracle wrote:
VegasCane wrote:

Texas - Tuition, books, transportation and housing (food) - it all adds up.
Then add currency conversion - at 1 point I was paying an extra 30 cents on the dollar for US bucks.

30k a year all in

My point is that is uber-expensive, and you were paying more since you were a non-resident, you are using that number as a minimum when in fact it is a maximim. It's true that can be expensive but it is nowhere nearas expensive as people think, especially if you go to college in your home state in which case they waive about 3/4 of the tuition.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:17 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Santa Doom wrote:

My point is that is uber-expensive, and you were paying more since you were a non-resident, you are using that number as a minimum when in fact it is a maximim. It's true that can be expensive but it is nowhere nearas expensive as people think, especially if you go to college in your home state in which case they waive about 3/4 of the tuition.

My bank manager will be pleased.

But to come back to the comment - you see how important it is to go to a good Catholic University - there are none in Canada,.

Last edited by Ancient Oracle on Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:35 pm 
Grand Wazoo college bowl game picker.
Grand Wazoo college bowl game picker.

My degree is in Nursing.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 8   [ 144 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next