The Catholic Message Board
http://forums.avemariaradio.net/

Church denounces gay priests after magazine revelations
http://forums.avemariaradio.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=123625
Page 1 of 1

Author:  aussie_aussie_oi_oi [ Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Church denounces gay priests after magazine revelations

An Italian Catholic diocese has denounced homosexual priests for their "double life" and said they should not be in the priesthood.

The Diocese of Rome was responding to a magazine article on three homosexual priests that gave details of alleged sexual encounters and trips to clubs.

The diocese said "the honour of all the others" was sullied by their behaviour.

The Church holds that all sexual activity outside marriage is sinful and regards homosexual acts as unnatural.
'Saddened and troubled'

The article in the conservative magazine Panorama, entitled Gay Priests' Nights on the Town, carried pictures and interviews with the men.

The research was carried out over a month using hidden cameras.

It recorded sexual encounters, including one in a church building.

The diocese said of the priests: "We don't wish any ill-will against them, but we cannot accept that because of their behaviour the honour of all the others is sullied."

It said it was "saddened and troubled" by the article and vowed to pursue "with rigour any behaviour that is unworthy of the priestly life".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10746985

Author:  Athanasius [ Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Church denounces gay priests after magazine revelations

I pray that they repent of their wicked ways and find their true vocation.

Author:  Person [ Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:53 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Church denounces gay priests after magazine revelations

If the bishop won't or can't, the Pope himself ought to step in and if after a review of the evidence it's clear this is all true . . . he needs to laicize these guys and STAT. If the rules don't allow this, then the rules need to be changed.

Author:  Soror [ Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:06 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Church denounces gay priests after magazine revelations

Oh, that is just terrible, absolutely terrible. With such blatant evidence and disregard for the Church and priesthood I don't understand why there has to be an investigation.

Author:  Obi-Wan Kenobi [ Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:12 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Church denounces gay priests after magazine revelations

The bishop of the Diocese of Rome is the pope, though he has someone else handle the day-to-day affairs.

How would headline writers survive if the word "denounce" were taken away from them?

Author:  Peetem [ Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:16 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Church denounces gay priests after magazine revelations

Let's all wait until the other side of the story is told.

Just because a few gay priests were filmed living a life of sin, doesn't mean that 98% of all priests are that way (in Rome as the article claims). In addition, I have found that gay men would like to believe that 50%+ of the population is gay. It makes them feel better about who they are and how they behave. So when a gay priest makes the claim that 98% of all priests in the Rome archdiocese are gay, he's saying something he wishes to be true to make himself feel better.

I have known many priests. There were a couple I suspected to be homosexual and that's it - and those two were liberal in their theology, so my suspicions were based on more than just their actions, mannerisms and such. The vast majority struck (and strike) me as very holy and righteous men. I even know one that comes across as homosexual (in actions and speech and such) who's very orthodox and holy.

And yes, I might be wrong - the ones who seem homosexual might not be and vice versa. But my point being is we should always pray for priests as we don't know their sexual orientation.

Author:  Bombadil [ Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Church denounces gay priests after magazine revelations

Peetem wrote:
Let's all wait until the other side of the story is told.

Just because a few gay priests were filmed living a life of sin, doesn't mean that 98% of all priests are that way (in Rome as the article claims). In addition, I have found that gay men would like to believe that 50%+ of the population is gay. It makes them feel better about who they are and how they behave. So when a gay priest makes the claim that 98% of all priests in the Rome archdiocese are gay, he's saying something he wishes to be true to make himself feel better.

I have known many priests. There were a couple I suspected to be homosexual and that's it - and those two were liberal in their theology, so my suspicions were based on more than just their actions, mannerisms and such. The vast majority struck (and strike) me as very holy and righteous men. I even know one that comes across as homosexual (in actions and speech and such) who's very orthodox and holy.

And yes, I might be wrong - the ones who seem homosexual might not be and vice versa. But my point being is we should always pray for priests as we don't know their sexual orientation.

Also it wouldn't be much different if straight priests were hanging out at clubs picking up women.

Author:  Bombadil [ Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Church denounces gay priests after magazine revelations

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
The bishop of the Diocese of Rome is the pope, though he has someone else handle the day-to-day affairs.

How would headline writers survive if the word "denounce" were taken away from them?

I guess they could use 'anathematize'. ::):

Author:  Ephrem [ Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Church denounces gay priests after magazine revelations

Bombadil wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
The bishop of the Diocese of Rome is the pope, though he has someone else handle the day-to-day affairs.

How would headline writers survive if the word "denounce" were taken away from them?

I guess they could use 'anathematize'. ::):

Too many letters. :fyi:

Author:  Bombadil [ Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Church denounces gay priests after magazine revelations

Max Kolbe wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
The bishop of the Diocese of Rome is the pope, though he has someone else handle the day-to-day affairs.

How would headline writers survive if the word "denounce" were taken away from them?

I guess they could use 'anathematize'. ::):

Too many letters. :fyi:

They could start referring to the cdf as 'what used to be known as the office of the holy inquisition', and then say that these people will have to face the inquisition. ::): sorry, no caps, baby sleeping on the arm that does the shift key.

Author:  Ephrem [ Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Church denounces gay priests after magazine revelations

Bombadil wrote:
Max Kolbe wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
The bishop of the Diocese of Rome is the pope, though he has someone else handle the day-to-day affairs.

How would headline writers survive if the word "denounce" were taken away from them?

I guess they could use 'anathematize'. ::):

Too many letters. :fyi:

They could start referring to the cdf as 'what used to be known as the office of the holy inquisition', and then say that these people will have to face the inquisition. ::): sorry, no caps, baby sleeping on the arm that does the shift key.

I sometimes wonder how headline writers in Romantic languages rather than Anglo-Saxon ones get by. :)

Author:  Desertfalcon [ Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Church denounces gay priests after magazine revelations

It's an American baby. she will be typing and texting for you any day now.

Author:  beng [ Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Church denounces gay priests after magazine revelations

aussie_aussie_oi_oi wrote:
An Italian Catholic diocese has denounced homosexual priests for their "double life" and said they should not be in the priesthood.

The Diocese of Rome was responding to a magazine article on three homosexual priests that gave details of alleged sexual encounters and trips to clubs.

The diocese said "the honour of all the others" was sullied by their behaviour.

The Church holds that all sexual activity outside marriage is sinful and regards homosexual acts as unnatural.
'Saddened and troubled'

The article in the conservative magazine Panorama, entitled Gay Priests' Nights on the Town, carried pictures and interviews with the men.

The research was carried out over a month using hidden cameras.

It recorded sexual encounters, including one in a church building.

The diocese said of the priests: "We don't wish any ill-will against them, but we cannot accept that because of their behaviour the honour of all the others is sullied."

It said it was "saddened and troubled" by the article and vowed to pursue "with rigour any behaviour that is unworthy of the priestly life".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10746985


I want those three homosexual priests executed (as in giving them death sentence).

Author:  RGCheek [ Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Church denounces gay priests after magazine revelations

Person wrote:
If the bishop won't or can't, the Pope himself ought to step in and if after a review of the evidence it's clear this is all true . . . he needs to laicize these guys and STAT. If the rules don't allow this, then the rules need to be changed.


Agreed.

This is one case where self-policing is the only acceptable option and the consequences of neglect extremely damaging to the host.

It reminds me of an incident I read of years ago where during a frustrating argument with a Roman Catholic cardinal, Napoleon Bonaparte supposedly burst out: “Your eminence, are you not aware that I have the power to destroy the Catholic Church?”

The cardinal, the anecdote goes, responded ruefully: “Your majesty, we, the Catholic clergy, have done our best to destroy the church for the last 1,800 years. We have not succeeded, and neither will you.”
(italics quoted from another source).

I think the cardinal was Cardinal Consalvi, not sure.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/