Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Church denounces gay priests after magazine revelations
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:29 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: SSVdP
An Italian Catholic diocese has denounced homosexual priests for their "double life" and said they should not be in the priesthood.

The Diocese of Rome was responding to a magazine article on three homosexual priests that gave details of alleged sexual encounters and trips to clubs.

The diocese said "the honour of all the others" was sullied by their behaviour.

The Church holds that all sexual activity outside marriage is sinful and regards homosexual acts as unnatural.
'Saddened and troubled'

The article in the conservative magazine Panorama, entitled Gay Priests' Nights on the Town, carried pictures and interviews with the men.

The research was carried out over a month using hidden cameras.

It recorded sexual encounters, including one in a church building.

The diocese said of the priests: "We don't wish any ill-will against them, but we cannot accept that because of their behaviour the honour of all the others is sullied."

It said it was "saddened and troubled" by the article and vowed to pursue "with rigour any behaviour that is unworthy of the priestly life".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10746985

Post subject: Re: Church denounces gay priests after magazine revelations
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:29 pm 
Defender
Defender

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: Catholic Monarchy
I pray that they repent of their wicked ways and find their true vocation.

"To say that God turns away from the sinful is like saying that the sun hides from the blind." St. Anthony the Great (of the desert)

"There are those who hate Christianity and call their hatred an all-embracing love for all religions." — G.K. Chesterton

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:53 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
If the bishop won't or can't, the Pope himself ought to step in and if after a review of the evidence it's clear this is all true . . . he needs to laicize these guys and STAT. If the rules don't allow this, then the rules need to be changed.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:06 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Oh, that is just terrible, absolutely terrible. With such blatant evidence and disregard for the Church and priesthood I don't understand why there has to be an investigation.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:12 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
The bishop of the Diocese of Rome is the pope, though he has someone else handle the day-to-day affairs.

How would headline writers survive if the word "denounce" were taken away from them?

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:16 am 
Master
Master

Let's all wait until the other side of the story is told.

Just because a few gay priests were filmed living a life of sin, doesn't mean that 98% of all priests are that way (in Rome as the article claims). In addition, I have found that gay men would like to believe that 50%+ of the population is gay. It makes them feel better about who they are and how they behave. So when a gay priest makes the claim that 98% of all priests in the Rome archdiocese are gay, he's saying something he wishes to be true to make himself feel better.

I have known many priests. There were a couple I suspected to be homosexual and that's it - and those two were liberal in their theology, so my suspicions were based on more than just their actions, mannerisms and such. The vast majority struck (and strike) me as very holy and righteous men. I even know one that comes across as homosexual (in actions and speech and such) who's very orthodox and holy.

And yes, I might be wrong - the ones who seem homosexual might not be and vice versa. But my point being is we should always pray for priests as we don't know their sexual orientation.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:10 am 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
Peetem wrote:
Let's all wait until the other side of the story is told.

Just because a few gay priests were filmed living a life of sin, doesn't mean that 98% of all priests are that way (in Rome as the article claims). In addition, I have found that gay men would like to believe that 50%+ of the population is gay. It makes them feel better about who they are and how they behave. So when a gay priest makes the claim that 98% of all priests in the Rome archdiocese are gay, he's saying something he wishes to be true to make himself feel better.

I have known many priests. There were a couple I suspected to be homosexual and that's it - and those two were liberal in their theology, so my suspicions were based on more than just their actions, mannerisms and such. The vast majority struck (and strike) me as very holy and righteous men. I even know one that comes across as homosexual (in actions and speech and such) who's very orthodox and holy.

And yes, I might be wrong - the ones who seem homosexual might not be and vice versa. But my point being is we should always pray for priests as we don't know their sexual orientation.

Also it wouldn't be much different if straight priests were hanging out at clubs picking up women.

- Justice Scalia, dissent, King v. Burwell.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:10 am 
The Exterminator

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
The bishop of the Diocese of Rome is the pope, though he has someone else handle the day-to-day affairs.

How would headline writers survive if the word "denounce" were taken away from them?

I guess they could use 'anathematize'. ::):

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:49 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Deacon
Bombadil wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

Too many letters. :fyi:

Formerly Max Kolbe

“All serious and upright human conduct is hope in action.” — Pope Benedict XVI

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:29 am 
The Exterminator

Max Kolbe wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

They could start referring to the cdf as 'what used to be known as the office of the holy inquisition', and then say that these people will have to face the inquisition. ::): sorry, no caps, baby sleeping on the arm that does the shift key.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:30 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Deacon
Bombadil wrote:
Max Kolbe wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

They could start referring to the cdf as 'what used to be known as the office of the holy inquisition', and then say that these people will have to face the inquisition. ::): sorry, no caps, baby sleeping on the arm that does the shift key.

I sometimes wonder how headline writers in Romantic languages rather than Anglo-Saxon ones get by. :)

Formerly Max Kolbe

“All serious and upright human conduct is hope in action.” — Pope Benedict XVI

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:32 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
It's an American baby. she will be typing and texting for you any day now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:19 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

aussie_aussie_oi_oi wrote:
An Italian Catholic diocese has denounced homosexual priests for their "double life" and said they should not be in the priesthood.

The Diocese of Rome was responding to a magazine article on three homosexual priests that gave details of alleged sexual encounters and trips to clubs.

The diocese said "the honour of all the others" was sullied by their behaviour.

The Church holds that all sexual activity outside marriage is sinful and regards homosexual acts as unnatural.
'Saddened and troubled'

The article in the conservative magazine Panorama, entitled Gay Priests' Nights on the Town, carried pictures and interviews with the men.

The research was carried out over a month using hidden cameras.

It recorded sexual encounters, including one in a church building.

The diocese said of the priests: "We don't wish any ill-will against them, but we cannot accept that because of their behaviour the honour of all the others is sullied."

It said it was "saddened and troubled" by the article and vowed to pursue "with rigour any behaviour that is unworthy of the priestly life".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10746985

I want those three homosexual priests executed (as in giving them death sentence).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:52 am 
Defender
Defender

Person wrote:
If the bishop won't or can't, the Pope himself ought to step in and if after a review of the evidence it's clear this is all true . . . he needs to laicize these guys and STAT. If the rules don't allow this, then the rules need to be changed.

Agreed.

This is one case where self-policing is the only acceptable option and the consequences of neglect extremely damaging to the host.

It reminds me of an incident I read of years ago where during a frustrating argument with a Roman Catholic cardinal, Napoleon Bonaparte supposedly burst out: “Your eminence, are you not aware that I have the power to destroy the Catholic Church?”

The cardinal, the anecdote goes, responded ruefully: “Your majesty, we, the Catholic clergy, have done our best to destroy the church for the last 1,800 years. We have not succeeded, and neither will you.”
(italics quoted from another source).

I think the cardinal was Cardinal Consalvi, not sure.

"... so disillusioned keep your head down, if you do they'll never know, you'll have no answers to their questions and they will have to let you go. Disenfranchised revolution, they'll take away by right what's yours, and make you martyrs of your own cause, and they don't know what cause it's for."