Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 3   [ 41 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Movies?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:25 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
faithfulservant wrote:
mea wrote:
Sorceror's Apprentice isn't too bad (you have to stay until the end of the credits).

why? :scratch:

i thought my wife was the only person in the world who did this :fyi:

For me? I like to avoid the crowd, I let them stampeede out of the theatre and then I leave after them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:17 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
Doom wrote:
Pretty much every movie these days has an extra scene at the end of the credits, anyone who DOESN'T stay until the end of the credits is a fool.

Whenever I go to the movies, about 2/3 or more of the audience stays until the end of the credits, I think most people do these days.

the last movie we saw was robin hood...and she/we stayed until the end... we were the only ones in the theater...no extra scene...the only reason she stays is to hear the soundtrack music

i'm curious though...since i've never seen one...is it an outtake...is it a blooper...cuz if it's not, i can't imagine why anyone would want to see one extra scene of a movie they have just seen in its entirety ...what's the point?

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:38 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
faithfulservant wrote:
i'm curious though...since i've never seen one...is it an outtake...is it a blooper...cuz if it's not, i can't imagine why anyone would want to see one extra scene of a movie they have just seen in its entirety ...what's the point?

They are called 'Easter eggs' and they are there as a kind of 'secret' for the audience to discover by accident

You've honestly never seen any of the 'after credits scenes'?

Often the last scene at the end of the credits reveals information about what is coming next, or it even reverses what you thought the real ending was......

There are so many examples these days I can't even remember all of them....okay let's see

The last scene after the end credits of 'The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe' reveals that the children will visit Narnia again

The last scene after the end of Iron Man shows Tony Stark being visited by Nick Fury talking about the 'Avenger Initiative'

The last scene at the end of 'Daredevil' reveals that Bulls Eye survived (a direct reversal of the 'before credits' ending)

The last scene at the end of Iron Man 2 reveals Thor's hammer discovered in the desert

The last scene at the end of Wolverine showed several different things depending on which version you saw

The last scene at the end of X-Men: The Last Stand reveals that Professor X survived and that Magneto is gaining his powers back (yet another direct reversal of the 'before credits' ending)

The last scene after the end credits of 'The Simpsons Movie' actually mocks the modern fad of adding an extra scene after the end credits by having Maggie say 'sequel?' and then everyone groans....

And I could name many other examples if my memory was better

Bottom line is that at least 2/3 of summer blockbuster type movies do have a scene after the credits are over, and audiences are aware of this fact and tend to hang around to see it....when there is no scene at the end, you can often hear the audiences express disappointment, audiences have become sophisticated and they look for and expect these 'Easter eggs'

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:03 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

well that certainly makes sense... guess it kinda says a lot about how few movies we have seen on the big screen...i can think of maybe 4 or at most 5 since we saw Passion of the Christ... though none had "Easter eggs"

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:56 am 
Highness
Highness

I hear Inception is great. Going this weekend. Predators was good. Would rank it just behind the original '87 flick. Solid sequel.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:11 pm 
Apostle of Iraq
Apostle of Iraq

Church Affiliations: 4th degree Knight of Columbus
Anybody see Robin Hood?

*NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL* http://www.youtube.com/defendercatholic *NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL*
http://catholicscomehome.org/epic/epic120.html
Ephesians 6:10-17
1 Timothy 3:15

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:02 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

that was the last movie we saw...there was a thread on it when we went to see it

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:03 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

here's the link

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=121950&p=2045088&hilit=robin#p2045088

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:30 pm 
Defender
Defender

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: Catholic Monarchy
I lean toward Rushintuit's opinion. Still there are a few good ones. Take for example "Casablanca"

"To say that God turns away from the sinful is like saying that the sun hides from the blind." St. Anthony the Great (of the desert)

"There are those who hate Christianity and call their hatred an all-embracing love for all religions." — G.K. Chesterton

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:28 pm 
Potty Hollerer
Potty Hollerer

ds (15) said Inception was amazing and kept him up all night thinking about it.

http://ninetexans.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:31 pm 
Potty Hollerer
Potty Hollerer

Doom wrote:
faithfulservant wrote:

They are called 'Easter eggs' and they are there as a kind of 'secret' for the audience to discover by accident

'

The first one I remember is at the end of the Ferris Bueller's Day Off credits. Not saying it was the first one, just the first I can recall seeing in the theaters. Or maybe it was Back to the Future? I think that may have had one too.

http://ninetexans.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:57 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
SA-Mom wrote:
Doom wrote:
faithfulservant wrote:

'

The first one I remember is at the end of the Ferris Bueller's Day Off credits. Not saying it was the first one, just the first I can recall seeing in the theaters. Or maybe it was Back to the Future? I think that may have had one too.

Were there some on Lethal Weapon?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:50 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Catholic, praise God
Doom wrote:
Pretty much every movie these days has an extra scene at the end of the credits, anyone who DOESN'T stay until the end of the credits is a fool.

Well, most movies Mr. Mea and I have seen do not have an extra scene, but yes, anyone who doesn't stay is a fool, 'cuz you just never know. Ok, maybe not a fool, but it's still fun to see the extras (Ferris Buhler, Crocadile Dundee, and The Man From Snowy River all had little bits at the end. And of course, all of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies did.)

Doom wrote:
Whenever I go to the movies, about 2/3 or more of the audience stays until the end of the credits, I think most people do these days.

Hardly anyone stays with Mr. Mea and me. There were just 4 of us at the Sorceror's Apprentice. It's not uncommon, though; when we saw A Christmas Carol at the I-Max last December, one of the ushers announced before the movie started that there was nothing after the credits so we could empty the theater as soon as the credits started.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:54 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
My wife and I stay until the fellow comes in to clean up. We ask him if there is any scene at the end.

- I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

- I remember a lot of things. (Some of which actually happened.)

- Even the best of men may be born in times unsuited to their virtues.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:37 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
mea wrote:
Hardly anyone stays with Mr. Mea and me. There were just 4 of us at the Sorceror's Apprentice. It's not uncommon, though; when we saw A Christmas Carol at the I-Max last December, one of the ushers announced before the movie started that there was nothing after the credits so we could empty the theater as soon as the credits started.

I tend to go to movies on opening night, which is the best night to go to a movie because that's when all the biggest movie fans go, the audiences on opening night are better.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:37 am 
Defender
Defender

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: Catholic Monarchy
Just a general comment. I'm impressed with Rushintuit's desire to develop holiness in his life. I hope he keeps on gently reminding us that our choices do matter. We do go to some movies but are very careful about the ones we go to, though once in a while we are tricked. I'm thankful for Rushintuit's reminders.

CDL

"To say that God turns away from the sinful is like saying that the sun hides from the blind." St. Anthony the Great (of the desert)

"There are those who hate Christianity and call their hatred an all-embracing love for all religions." — G.K. Chesterton

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:50 am 

Religion: Christian
SA-Mom wrote:
ds (15) said Inception was amazing and kept him up all night thinking about it.
Inception was great - I just saw it. Not only does the plot make you concentrate, there is some excellent dialogue - something sadly lacking in most of today's mass market movies. The acting is also first rate with no weak performances anywhere.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:56 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: High Church Lutheran
Church Affiliations: Church of Norway
Doom wrote:
mea wrote:

I tend to go to movies on opening night, which is the best night to go to a movie because that's when all the biggest movie fans go, the audiences on opening night are better.
Amen to that! I was on the premiere of The Dark Knight, it aired two minutes after midnight. Everybody sat silently and watched.

As for Robin Hood, I liked it as a movie. But if it wasn't about Robin Hood all they had to do was change a few names...

“Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt.” — Paul Tillich

http://katolikken.wordpress.com/
English texts: http://katolikken.wordpress.com/tag/english-texts-2/

http://www.facebook.com/kjetilkringlebotten

http://twitter.com/katolikken

http://thecatholic.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:58 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: High Church Lutheran
Church Affiliations: Church of Norway
I haven't seen Inception yet. I'm going to see it on my birthday with some friends.

But I must say; Leonardo DiCaprio gets better and better.

“Being religious means asking passionately the question of the meaning of our existence and being willing to receive answers, even if the answers hurt.” — Paul Tillich

http://katolikken.wordpress.com/
English texts: http://katolikken.wordpress.com/tag/english-texts-2/

http://www.facebook.com/kjetilkringlebotten

http://twitter.com/katolikken

http://thecatholic.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:04 am 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
Athanasius wrote:
Just a general comment. I'm impressed with Rushintuit's desire to develop holiness in his life. I hope he keeps on gently reminding us that our choices do matter. We do go to some movies but are very careful about the ones we go to, though once in a while we are tricked. I'm thankful for Rushintuit's reminders.

CDL

It isn't a bad philosophy, but it's like boycotting every company that does bad things. You wouldn't have anyone left you aren't boycotting, and while you could just never go see a movie, I do enjoy it. I have and will continue to avoid certain movies for political/religious reasons when the producers, actors, or director or whomever are either notorious and widely known for their beliefs or include them in their movies. That's good enough for me. I'm not a teetotaler.

- Justice Scalia, dissent, King v. Burwell.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 3   [ 41 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next