Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 23 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: psychic helping to find missing boy
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:36 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: I eat The Lamb
Paranormal powers used in situations like this? Thoughts?

http://www.kptv.com/news/24337416/detail.html

The Bleeding Pelican

Post subject: Re: psychic helping to find missing boy
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:25 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
There are three possibilities:

1. the psychic is a fake
2. the psychic is using demonic powers
3. the psychic is using normal, perfectly natural powers which have not yet been fully explained by science

The most probable is 1, the least probable is 2....and if it is 3, no harm

Fact is we all have 'psychic' abilities to some extent, how many times have you been thinking about a song and all of a sudden that song plays on the radio, how many times have you just 'known' what someone thousands of miles away is doing, how many times have you been thinking about someone or dream about someone you haven't seen in months and all of a sudden you get a call from that person?

This kind of stuff happens all the time...now perhaps some people are a little more 'sensitive' and their natural senses are a little more finely tuned than normal?

Just like some people can run faster or jump higher than others, some people have senses that are a little more sharp than others....

I don't think it is magical, I think it is just normal but not yet explained by science

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:58 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Doom, why do you rule out
-- divine assistance
-- angelic assistance (from a holy angel not a demon)
-- spiritual gift

I'm not saying I think it's one of these, just wondering about your thought process.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:11 pm 
King of Cool

AdAltareDei wrote:
Doom, why do you rule out
-- divine assistance
-- angelic assistance (from a holy angel not a demon)
-- spiritual gift

I'm not saying I think it's one of these, just wondering about your thought process.

Because most so called 'psychics' are involved in Wicca or New Age mumbo jumbo, which is not from God

My real point is that I don't think that genuine psychics, if there is such a thing, use any 'supernatural' techniques at all, to the extent that such 'powers' are real they are 100% natural and 100% scientifically explicable.

Of course the real issue is whether such 'powers' are genuine, which I seriously doubt.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:27 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
I think aside from Doom's three very good reasons, that it can be assumed that most "psychics" are complete charlatans. They carefully file away all the little details that their clients unwittingly give them and then deal in vague generalities such as, "I see Johnny is near a body of water or woods or he is near a vacant lot or etc. They are the most reprehensible kind of grifter because they often profit from the worst kinds of human fear and tragedy...a parent's loss of a child.

One of the worst is one of the most famous which goes to show you that P.T. Barnum was correct. Sylvia Browne has caused untold pain to numerous children and parents who's children went missing by "reading" completely incorrect information resulting in misdirection of police investigators or even the ending of active searches. In 2003 she told investigators and the parents of eleven year old Shawn Hornbeck, who had been abducted, that the boy was abducted by a black male and had been murdered and that his body could be found in some woods near his abduction location. It completely misdirected the search for the boy eventually leading to the ending of active efforts to find his body. He was discovered alive four years later, after having been abducted by a white male who kept him and repeatedly sexually abused him over the course of those four years while Ms. Brown enjoyed the money she had been paid to end the search for him.

I hope there is a special place in hell for people like Ms. Brown. Sorry, but I have a family member who has been 'taken in and taken for', considerable amounts of money and emotional damage by these people.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:35 pm 
Apostle of Iraq
Apostle of Iraq

Church Affiliations: 4th degree Knight of Columbus
Doom wrote:
There are three possibilities:

1. the psychic is a fake
2. the psychic is using demonic powers
3. the psychic is using normal, perfectly natural powers which have not yet been fully explained by science

The most probable is 1, the least probable is 2....and if it is 3, no harm

Fact is we all have 'psychic' abilities to some extent, how many times have you been thinking about a song and all of a sudden that song plays on the radio, how many times have you just 'known' what someone thousands of miles away is doing, how many times have you been thinking about someone or dream about someone you haven't seen in months and all of a sudden you get a call from that person?

This kind of stuff happens all the time...now perhaps some people are a little more 'sensitive' and their natural senses are a little more finely tuned than normal?

Just like some people can run faster or jump higher than others, some people have senses that are a little more sharp than others....

I don't think it is magical, I think it is just normal but not yet explained by science

Doom, I suppose you haven't watched the show "Medium" have you?

*NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL* http://www.youtube.com/defendercatholic *NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL*
http://catholicscomehome.org/epic/epic120.html
Ephesians 6:10-17
1 Timothy 3:15

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:37 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
which is based on a real life "medium" :fyi:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:41 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Look what happened to Rex Harrison when he dabbled with a medium.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:55 pm 
King of Cool

faithfulservant wrote:

And we know that everything Hollywood makes which is 'based on a true story' is absolutely correct

I've never even heard of this show and I would love to know what CD is getting at....

Another possibility is that someone could be pretending to be a 'psychic' when in reality all he is is just someone who is extremely observant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:58 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Here is the Catechism of the Catholic Church:
CCC wrote:
2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to "unveil" the future.48 Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.

2117 All practices of magic or sorcery, by which one attempts to tame occult powers, so as to place them at one's service and have a supernatural power over others - even if this were for the sake of restoring their health - are gravely contrary to the virtue of religion. These practices are even more to be condemned when accompanied by the intention of harming someone, or when they have recourse to the intervention of demons. Wearing charms is also reprehensible. Spiritism often implies divination or magical practices; the Church for her part warns the faithful against it. Recourse to so-called traditional cures does not justify either the invocation of evil powers or the exploitation of another's credulity.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:04 pm 
King of Cool

Of course you are assuming that so called 'psychics' have genuine supernatural powers....which I seriously doubt......at best such 'powers' are merely supernormal, and completely explicable by natural science.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:14 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Doom wrote:
faithfulservant wrote:

And we know that everything Hollywood makes which is 'based on a true story' is absolutely correct

I've never even heard of this show and I would love to know what CD is getting at....

Another possibility is that someone could be pretending to be a 'psychic' when in reality all he is is just someone who is extremely observant

she has been interviewed ... so she does exist... she recounts some of the things which she has experienced ... how accurate she is and what "powers" , if any, she has...i have no clue

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:20 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

According to the teaching of the Catholic Church, the authenticity of the person's "talents" in this regard are irrelevant. Any kind of recourse to psychic, paranormal, or any other kinds of supposed supernatural consultation are forbidden.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:30 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

oh wait :shock: :oops: :oops: :oops: my bad...wrong program...ghost whisperer with jennifer love hewitt(no relation that i know of :wink: ) is the one based on the life of real life "spirit communicators"....never mind...carry on

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:26 pm 

Religion: Christian
Church Affiliations: Christ
How about ghosts? I watch Ghost Hunters and had experiences with Ghost.

I see even SyFy is getting into the Physic stuff with their new show "Mary knows best." I get my wife to laugh because in the commercial she says "Hello, I'm a physic" and I turn it to say "Hello, I'm a psycho" ::): :laughhard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:34 pm 

Ghosts can be something of demonic origin as well. Be careful with those sorts of shows.

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:37 pm 
King of Cool

St Veronica wrote:
Ghosts can be something of demonic origin as well.

Maybe 1% of the time, if that, the rest of the time it is purely explicable by natural science.

Look, 'miracles' or whatever you want to call them, happen, but they are extremely rare. 99% of the time when we think we have seen a miracle, we haven't. There's a reason why comparatively few genuine 'miracles' are ever certified by the Church.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:54 pm 

Religion: Christian
Church Affiliations: Christ
As far as miracles I been a receipt of a couple. One were me and my parents were going to the airport in our van and the wind was blowing hard, the glass broke and there was no time to cover up; I looked up and there was a giant transparent hand in front of me as the glass blew inward, no glass hit me and I had glass in my pants that we found when I got home but never got cut.

Another time I was on a missionary trip/repair the buildings to Mexico were me and my friends had a day to ourselves; We were goofing off and my friend was pushing my wheelchair as fast as he could and let me go. I hit a speed bump and went flying out of my chair and than all of a sudden it felt like I was floating on air and ever so gently was lowered to the ground. I was stunned and my friends said there was a tall man who appeared and caught me and then set me down and looked at them and shock his head in a no gesture and disappeared.

That is just two and before I was Catholic :) Of course I think the three greatest miracles were when I accepted Christ, when my parents adopted me and my beautiful wife married me. :) :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:02 pm 

Church Affiliations: KofC, Frassatti
Even if miracles and demonic activity are rare, God (and unfortunately Satan) still have influence in this world (i.e. God-moments, temptations, etc). I would believe that, if one has actually experienced paranormal activity (legitimate activity) then it is probably Satan or one of his cronies working at it. One way to test it is simply say the names of Jesus, Mary and Joseph, splash some Holy Water (keeping in mind that you are God's, of course; don't think that the Holy Water has power on its own) and say "Vade Retor Satana." But, you know, just like the show Psyched, most of this psychic stuff is more than likely people being super-observant.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:31 pm 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
They could also just announce that to see if any of their suspects make suspicious moves based on the news.

- Justice Scalia, dissent, King v. Burwell.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 23 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next